Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 563 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 716 reviews
on February 14, 2014
I can't recall if I've already reviewed this book (hazards of the ditzy mind), but here it is...either for the first time or the 10th. I say if a book is good once, it's good a bunch of times!

Stillness Speaks, by Eckhart Tolle, written in 2003, is a little, 127 page book that I read and re-read frequently. Simple and yet profound in content, it reminds me over and over and over again that the answers I seek, are found in stillness.

Eckhart Tolle has an elegant way of stating simply, that which feels the most complicated. In his many books, he conveys the message of the importance of being in the moment, and of gaining perspective from the egoic chatter the mind so often convinces us is the true and important reality.

I very often use a highlighter when I read; a habit I developed in college to help me find points I want to remember later. I had to laugh because I think I've highlighted every word in this book. That's how deeply it speaks to my spirit every time I read it. The book contains 10 short chapters and I will leave you with a favorite quote from each:

"True Intelligence operates silently. Stillness is where creativity and solutions to problems are found."

"Every thought pretends that it matters so much."

"Your unhappiness ultimately arises not from the circumstance of your life, but from the conditions of your mind."

"Is life ever 'not this moment'?"

"Reincarnation doesn't help you if in your next incarnation you still don't know who you are."

"Sometimes surrender means giving up trying to understand and becoming comfortable with not knowing."

"We have forgotten what rocks, plants, and animals still know. We have forgotten how to be - to be still, to be ourselves, to be where life is: Here and Now."

"Love does not want or fear anything."

"To every accident and disaster there is a potentially redemptive dimension that we are usually unaware of."

"Suffering is necessary until you realize it is unnecessary.
on May 4, 2017
I have been watching videos of Mr. Tolle for a while. I am slowly making my way through his books. Slowly so that I can savor each chapter, each concept and consider how it might apply to my life now. Focusing on Now is challenging and worth the effort for the peace it can bring. I appreciate that he refers to many different religious/spiritual texts. There is much similarity across all of them and he does a wonderful job of pointing these out. What is most important is the commonality of human experience. If you already know of Tolle, read this book.
VINE VOICEon August 7, 2011
In February 2008 I read A New Earth: Awakening to your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle. Although I thought it was pretty good, I did not feel that most of the book was very original.

Recently I read an outstanding book called Stillpower: The Inner Source of Athletic Excellence by Garret Kramer. He indicated his epiphany came from author Sydney Banks' book The Missing Link: Reflections on Philosophy and Spirit. That too was a great book.

Mesmerized by the first two books, while reading other reviews, I discovered Eckhart Tolle's Stillness Speaks and decided that I would give him another try. I am glad I did.

Like Stillpower and The Missing Link, Tolle's 127-page book on the same subject matter was both insightful and enjoyable. He too talks about the mind chatter we recognize as thought and the equivalent of external noise as inner stillness or gap between thoughts where creativity and solutions to problems are found. It is the object of alertness and awareness of what others are saying without a thought of response. This stillness of thought removes barriers to listening beyond auditory perception to connection with another's consciousness.

Stillness of thought is the surrender to the moment and the recognition that you are life. As such, all living things are connected and sacred.

Tolle alludes to the Mind, Consciousness and Thought and separating one's self from the ego. If we break our unconscious identification to thoughts that lead to unhappiness the mindset will release suffering through the realization that our thoughts created it.

These books, as well as the others, promote mental health, improved relationships and needless suffering. They question reality and truth and encourage acceptance of life as we experience it in now as opposed to worrying about the past or future.

I hope you enjoyed this quick thought evoking read as I did.
1010 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2017
Find it buy it...full of reflective aphorisms, or short sayings, sutras, to live by, pointers to the truth using words that in the act of reading become thoughts in your mind, but not ordinary thoughts---repetitive, noisy, self serving, clamoring for attention...The thoughts within this book don't say "look at me," but Look beyond me." Because the thoughts came out of stillness, they have power to take you back into the same stillness from which they arose. That stillness is also inner peace, and that stillness and peace for the essence of your Being.
on July 10, 2013
Much more than a self-help book or a book of daily affirmations. The words in this book are truth. I try to live my life in the present. When my mind and ego sneak me out if the present I just remember Tolle"s tip to become the observer of my thoughts. I have been through cancer and several other health scares that caused me a lot of stress and worry. The words in this book put you in the present. If there is one thing I know, it's that NOTHING I forecast or worried over EVER turned out like my vivid runaway imagination and fears ever predicted. So WHY live in pain and fear??? Take each moment as it comes. Moment by moment. YOU are not your thoughts. This book is truth!
on August 22, 2016
This book changed my life! I felt like I was spinning out of control and maybe going crazy, then a friend recommended this book to me. I have read it 3 times already and I'm getting a little more out of it each time! This book is for you if you have an obsession with the past and your mind likes to make up stories about the future. If you are looking to quiet your mind and feel good again, this book is for you. Its not an easy read, thus the many times I've already read it. But after I was done with this book, I purchased The New Earth, another book written by Tolle. Love, love, love that book. They go hand in hand. I highly recommend this book!
on April 23, 2016
Beautiful book, very inspirational. I read it over and over again. This book should be read after The Power of Now and The New Earth. I enjoy Eckart Tolle's writings very much.
on March 25, 2016
Reading Stillness Speaks is indeed a form of meditation. Pick up this book, open it to any page, and it will meet you right where you are. Moreover, it will bring you out of conditioned thinking into a space of presence - the here and now - to which Eckhart continually points. Sit with each passage. Allow it to dissolve egoic tendencies and reveal a deeper dimension within, from where these words speak from and to.
on August 30, 2016
I have read many of Eckhart Tolle's books. They are all not so dissimilar. I find that his words quiet my soul. I find myself contemplating all that I read. Very therapeutic. I am now about to reread this book. I hope you are affected by his words as I am.
on March 1, 2017
Another great publication by Eckhart Tolle! I especially like his audio books because his voice is so calm and peaceful and listening makes more of an impact for me personally than reading.