Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 50 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 138 reviews
on December 26, 2016
This book exceeded my expectations, as everything that Leslie Feinberg wrote always does. It is a frank look at what it was like to be out in 1950s America. It gives a first hand look at how Lesbians and Gay Men were treated by police and by society. If you are at all curious about Our history, this book is a must. This is story telling at its finest, but society at its most honest.
on January 11, 2014
This novel is so important to the lives of stone butches and femmes who have yet to find a strong community. It's also an excellent guide to the history of the LGBTQ movement in this country. Allies will enjoy getting to know more about the history and social lives of LGBT in the 70s and 80s. The story itself is also heartbreaking. You fall in love with Jesse and want her to do well, but in a culture like ours, the deck is stacked against her. This text also sheds light on the difficulty of transition and the fluidity of gender. I absolutely love it and recommend it to anyone who needs to feel part of the community.
on March 31, 2014
This is my absolute favorite book by Leslie Feinberg - and I love all the others! It's personal, bold, honest and expressed in the most touching and fearless way possible. It touches and opens up the subject that most of the time remains untouched or told in veiled concepts and narratives. Immaculately written and brave, this book is my personal alma mater and support system. I never get tired or bored reading it over and over again.
on December 26, 2012
I've given this book multiple times to queer teenagers/organizers I've mentored. Everyone loves it. It helps you understand so much about the culture you're moving into by explaining the past and how it developed. For instance, young LGBTQ folks are often confused by concepts like butch/femme, or what is drag about, and this explains it by telling you where you come from. And it says so much about the queer lifestyle - about marginalization, strength, love, and support. Those lessons don't die. I pair it often with Making History: The Struggle for Gay and Lesbian Rights, which has interviews with activists organized by decade and is like talking to your ancestors.
on April 23, 2016
I was not able to put the book down. It draws you in and captures your interest . I have bought this book for friends because I feel like it is a must read. Such a great story. It has very sad undertones but incredible. I believe it is a fiction but it's hard to believe this is not based off of a true story.
on January 22, 2005
This book is not only an important historical chronicle for the gay community, it is a compelling novel. The characters take on their own lives and make us care for them. They are true to the time in which they live. I was deeply touched by this book. I simply cannot recommend it highly enough. I think it is very important that we as a community realize where we have come from and appreciate the sacrifices others made for rights we now take for granted. Having said that, this book is never preachy. You could read it simply as a character study and it would stand on its own and still be fascinating. A must-read for any lesbian, but especially for any stone butch or butch. I am not a lesbian, I am just a lesbian-lover, but feel that this book gave me deeper insights into several women I have known through the years, and especially into the life of one very special friend.
on January 18, 2017
Wonderful.
on November 3, 2006
A dear friend recommended this saying it had changed her life, so I picked up a copy, but secretly doubted it. This novel proved me wrong. The protagonist's struggle through the ongoing and ever-evolving gay landscape as a butch woman, then a stone butch, then a transman raised so many questions and answers for me about the missing chapters of gay history, butch/femme dynamics, the FTM gender transition process, etc. And aside from all that, it was a moving story of one person's struggle to find love, acceptance, and safety in a world (and a body) that makes that all the more complicated. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great literary read, even outside the GLBT community.
on November 30, 2009
If you are Butch or have ever known or loved a Butch, this book will make you cry. The story tumbles out in one unending pouring, and that is probably how you will read it. There are tons of anthologies and gender study books, but Stone Butch Blues is the only novel I know of written with with so much grit and longing. It is a rare courageous glimpse into the struggles of an impoverished Butch dyke who's strong voice would ordinarily not have much reach. I love this book and often purchase extra copies to give away to other Butches and Femmes. It renders our history beautifully, and for that reason I consider Feinberg's first novel to be a gift to the world.
on August 12, 2015
I loved reading this book. It was easy to follow and I did not want to put it down. For me, this is a book that you can reread over and over again and not get bored! I first read this book 8 years ago and so many details of the book are still fresh in my head. I would highly recommend this book to anyone!