Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stone Soup
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 24, 2003
This is a beautiful book. The illustrations are masterful, and the story is quite sweet. I would definitely share it with young children, yet the exquisitely depicted images make me want to show it to adults. The cross-cultural elements of the story are especially good for young children. To find a children's book that contains this much beauty is a treasure for any child.
on March 26, 2003
My two children and I loved this book. They enjoyed following the little girl and her cat and finding them on different pages. It works very well to read out loud at bedtime. The monks were sweet. I don't know how they could have scared anybody. It was nice to see these faces in this story. Some of them were very funny. I was surprised to see how well it all fit. This was a nice retelling.
on November 9, 2003
This is told differently than the version I read as a child, but it is told very nicely. The pictures are nice as well. Both my 4 year old son and my 11 year old niece love it.
on September 9, 2008
Three monks approach a town that has grown isolated from neighbors and community. They decide to teach the town "happiness" by making stone soup. Each community member brought an ingredient and with everyone's contribution, they made stone soup and had a celebration.

This book is near and dear to me because I used it as a community building exercise when I was teaching elementary. I believe it shows how everyone contributes their own talents to make a better whole.

In the classroom, I would invite students to each bring one ingredient for our own stone soup. We might also create a list of "classroom experts" to show what each child's gifts and talents are.
on April 8, 2003
Stone Soup.....what a lovely retelling of an old tale. I like that it takes the simple message of one by one sharing, gaining happiness and all sharing to gain community. I bought this book for my nephews. We very much enjoyed reading the story and examining the wonderful pictures. They very easily noticed the beautiful color progression as the story develops into something full, warm and sweet. The best part was reading all about the same foods we have at home. It is good to know that we too can make Stone Soup.
on March 24, 2003
I love this book! It has a wonderful sense of dignity and humor. I'm pleased to see Asians that look like real people and enjoyed its spirit of encouragement. I don't like spoon fed morality and this story treats the reader intelligently. This book has a special place on my shelves.
on May 9, 2016
This book was a favorite from my childhood and now I get to share it with my child. The setting has changed a bit for this version but the story is still the same. Why Amazon asks about characters and requires defining them as "one-dimensional, developed, or complex" is beyond me. It's a children's book with roughly thirty pages of large print with pictures. How developed can they be?
on May 5, 2015
While the drawings in this little book are quite nice, this variation is not as good as the one I got for my son in the late '60's. I was disappointed, but feel that others who do not know the story may like this edition. I, personally, would not buy it again & will continue to look for "my" edition: "SOUP FROM A STONE. IMAGINE THAT".
on April 3, 2013
My daughter loves this book. I have to say, I am really pleased on the twist in this story to use stone soup to bring a village together rather than the concept of three men outsmarting and taking advantage of a village. REALLY great and my daughter is intrigued by the asian people in the book and I appreciate anything that exposes her to different cultures than our own.
on March 18, 2016
A nice simple story about how cooperation yields a fine result. Besides sharing a meal, the towns-people learned a lesson. Each person made a contribution which ended in a celebration where everybody is fed.