Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

STOOGES
Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 23, 2010
The Stooges invented punk not the Ramones not the Sex Pistols not the Dolls "The Stooges" plain and simple listen to 1969 the lyrics "Its another year for me and you another year with nothing to do" That's punk I don't care if it was years before they started calling it that the look the sound and the freakin attitude were what was later called punk.And I'll tell you plain and simple no-one made music like this in the late 60's early 70's every time I played it my landlords and the cops and most of my friends gave me a hard-time That being said and having bought numerous copies of this disc this is the best sounding version yet that and it comes with a bonus disc of other versions of the songs along with a really nice booklet.Listen to it loud listen to it often one finger in the air
on December 9, 2017
Had to get album used and got this one new for great price A+++
on December 27, 2016
One of the best albums ever! Must have for any vinyl, punk rock, garage rock or classic rock lover!!!
on May 20, 2017
Came exactly as it was described THAAANKS
on December 31, 2017
the beginning!
on April 6, 2017
Great!
on June 1, 2010
Heard this at a friend's house and ordered it that day. Up to now, I've only been able to listen to this on the original vinyl without puking--the Elektra CD is that bad. This remaster is very good: you can hear Iggy's voice and tell how young he is and you can hear the nuances in all the songs (which sound dull and repetitive on the Elektra CD). Maybe most important, they included all of Ron Asheton's guitar solos here, which makes this a must buy, even if you're a vinyl freak with the original in decent condition. And the John Cale mixes are interesting, much better in my opinion than most of the reviewers here say.

As to the album itself, if you don't know it, well . . . just listen to the Amazon sampler of "Now I wanna be your dog"--it'll only play you the instrumental lead in, which should be enough. I dare you to name a better, hotter lead than that, ever, except maybe Chuck Berry on "Johnny B. Good." Everybody talks about how the Stooges were punk before punk on this album and metal before metal on Raw Power and free jazz/rock fusion on Fun House, which was recorded before the Stones' Exile on Main Street. All true, but so what. Get this album (buy all three, actually) because the band was fantastic: hot, tight, powerful, as hard-core as it will ever get. You'll never hear anybody play or sing with more conviction than this. In the end that's what counts, and what should last.
on March 4, 2015
Just received and spun up the $6.99 CD as specified in the title. Me personally, I don't think I've ever thought "stooges" and "good sound quality" were to ever be used in the same sentence. Especially on CD. I have to say I'm very pleased with the quality of this one. It exceeded my expectations that were admittedly pretty low after hearing the mp3 version on my Amazon app. Since I'm prime, I do download an album here and there for $0.00 and although it was acceptable for my use (keep me motivated on my treadmill) I just assumed the CD would sound about the same, but it sounds great on my modest Yamaha/Energy system.

I have Raw, S/T and Funhouse on Vinyl but never owned the CD versions before having heard some horror stories of their quality. Have purchased basic CD versions of all 3 now and will review as I play them. This first one is good to go. Raw, I realize you are better off to get the deluxe with the Bowie mix but prices have skyrocketed out of sight on that one, atleast here on the Amazon mkt place.

Anyway, this CD of the S/T debut is well worth 6.99 IMHO.

"I wanna be your dog" priceless...
on November 6, 2015
This album has so many 5 stars that adding another review with an "I love it" mark isn't adding much. You should already know if you want to buy this, it's Protopunk and Garage Rock! I'm going to review it anyway, because I often find a lack of in-depth reviews on this site.
So it's 1969 (pun intended) and The Stooges just got their album released on the same label that the MC5s original stuff was and, strangely enough, the Doors. Iggy Pop was not the successful solo artist most people know him as today, and the closest thing to "punk" was the MC5 and the Sonics. Then "The Stooges" come out and doesn't change much, since protopunk at this point was pretty much dying. I'm not saying this album is bad (look how many stars) but protopunk was basically all it could be at this point, and it was losing popularity.
So, what's the deal with this album? People call it "punk" but only three songs on the album are considered "Ramones length" and there's a ten minute jam with chanting? Even though it is constantly labeled as punk, it's probably closer to psychedelic punk, or maybe even heavy drone rock. Simple chord progressions, long impressive solos, energetic performance, and everything is extended just before it becomes dull. And then there is "We Will Fall." Most people absolutely hate this song because of how jarringly different it is compared to the rest of the album: slow, chanting, stoned, a bit weird, yet still simple. This song is more reminiscent of Indian music than punk. I actually like it, and I'm probably the only weirdo who likes this song AND the rest of the album, but I wouldn't say they go together well.
The version I have, the 90's reissue CD with no bonus tracks, handles the mastering well, in my opinion. No clipping (like the infamous Raw Power CD) and it doesn't sound like treble or bass was raised or lowered too much. Sucks that there are no bonus tracks, especially since I long to hear the original John Cale mixes, but for a CD that's about 20 or so years old with a cheap price, I can't complain much.
Really, if you want this album, you shouldn't read the reviews, and if you are on the fence, just listen to "1969" or "I Wanna be Your Dog" on YouTube and decide for yourself. High amounts of praise can damage expectations, but the five stars are probably worth it this time.
on April 1, 2013
After the Stooges eponymous debut, rock and roll would never be the same. And thank Iggy for that! He and the Stooges injected a level of necessary peril that invigorates Rock and Roll to this day.