HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on October 7, 2016
I like the message of the book: learn to be frugal; be happy with what you have; don't feel compelled to "one up" all your neighbors by buying unnecessarily fancy stuff. I wish it is something I had learned in my teens or 20's instead of my 40s. I'd be a lot richer right now. :)

My only qualm is that the book could probably be about 1/3 the length. There are entire chapters that could be summed up thusly:

* You're an idiot if you spend thousands of dollars on a watch.
* Stop buying expensive luxury and high-end vehicles when another car will get you around just as well.

Instead of getting the point across in a page or two (maybe three or four when including some good research data), these chapters go on for 20 or 30 pages. I found myself either skipping ahead a lot, or saying to the book, "OK I GET IT ALREADY, MOVE ON!"

Still, since it is a lesson I wish our whole nation would learn, I recommend the book.
18 people found this helpful
on March 9, 2017
I don't necessarily agree with all of the points in this book, however I'll add it to the library as a good read for its added perspective. There is certainly something to be said for purchasing quality products that do not need to be replaced, which is overlooked in this book. Also, there is a notion of inherent value that cannot be so easily quantified monetarily. I think the point should be less extreme in that we all must find a balance of those things we value and to be less vain with regards to status symbols. The goal should not be to take a ton of money to the grave. Again, there is a balance of security, happiness and value.
6 people found this helpful
on May 15, 2018
I finally made time to read this book after purchasing it weeks ago. Frankly, I find it to be annoying. Every time it seems that the author is about to turn the corner and present something new, I’m disappointed again. He keeps making the same points over and over again. Only the names and location changes.I’m only halfway through the book and stopped to write this review because I couldn’t take it anymore. I would like to think I’m going to finish it but I’m not sure if I will. It’s like eating a meal,regurgitating it, and eating it all over again. Or re-warming leftovers and never eating a freshly cooked meal.
on November 15, 2014
Thomas Stanley you've done it again!

If you've read "The Milionaire Next Door" you're gonna love this book. It's basically "more of the same" but with lots more millionaires profiled, lots more surveys/studies, and TONS more mindset.

"It's not what you make, it's what you keep"

Do you want to be rich?

Stop watching music videos and start reading this book. It will show you how real rich people live.

It just might surprise you...
4 people found this helpful
on November 30, 2017
It was a good read and provided a nice follow up if you found yourself wanting more pages in The Millionaire Next Door. Good insight and definitely makes you take some accountability in your spending habits as a reader. You just have to in the end determine if your more in the Stanley camp or Grant Cardone camp. This one all comes down to being purposeful with what your doing with your money and avoiding the obvious pitfalls that come with the common trappings of wealth. Nothing earth shattering but a great read no less.
on February 16, 2016
Once again, Tom Stanley debunks the myths of the wealthiest of us all and puts into perspective that hard work and following our passions (along with using common sense in our finances) are what creates wealth and happiness. Too often we believe in what the media tells us about the rich and forget that the media is only looking to sell stories, not inform us of the truth.

Excellent book. A must read for anyone and everyone.
3 people found this helpful
on August 26, 2014
When is enough, enough? This books points out that most people acting rich are in my words only ten cent millionaires. America has an addiction to consumption. IWe've been there myself so I speak from personal experience. After our awakening in 2009, we left the "mansion "and am living in a 2000 sq ft. manufactured that is actually constructed better than the pseudo. No more car payments....we pay cash for everything and am finally turning our financial life around.
3 people found this helpful
on March 21, 2018
Book arrived promptly. What a great read! I read it on a flight to Hawaii (and the 2nd half on the way back)..... Each chapter was an affirmation of what my wife and I agreed to years ago.... a great book, and great advice for those who are willing to accept these recommendations!
on November 11, 2012
This book feels like your grandmother scolding you after a night of binge-drinking and spending money on overpriced drinks at the bar. It reminds you that not all those drunk girls in expensive dresses and singing out loud are really happy; they're just acting like it.

So in a nutshell, it's a wise slap in the face to our overspending habits. Living in a hyperconsuming society, it's good to be reminded that most rich people are thrifty citizens who have slowly accumulated their fortunes. They drive Toyotas, drink inexpensive wine, buy $300 watches and $400 suits, and bank on their peace of mind to feel happy instead of living in mansions that can be taken away any day by the repo man.

This book should be revisited periodically because it's easy to be swoon over by the intoxicating power of Grey Goose marketers. Great read.
2 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 3, 2016
If you are a fan of the earlier book The Millionaire Next Door, this is a good supplement as there are parts that discusses deeper on wine, automobile, apparels brands/store, etc. There are few new lessons here but I think the ones you learned from the Millionaire Next Door are already sufficient.
One person found this helpful