Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on April 28, 2011
To be honest, my main reason for buying this book was that I was a huge "Outsiders" fan back in the early 80's. I always felt Rob was the best looking Greaser in the cast & as the years passed, also felt he was the best looking of the Brat Pack. I certainly didn't expect his book to be more than a compilation of stories about his life in Hollywood but it is more than that. He discusses his parent's divorce, his mother's depression, their financial struggles & his love for his wife & sons. He also gives Outsiders fans a great behind-the-scenes look into the making of that film. He is very candid & exposes himself as a flawed human being like the rest of us. He does discuss other Hollywood pals & tells some great stories but he doesn't make their celebrity the focal point of these tales or his book. A must read for those who loved the movie the Outsiders and anyone who is a fan of Rob's.
0Comment| 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 5, 2017
STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS by Rob Lowe is a memoir of Rob Lowe life from childhood thru to right after he finished his work on The West Wing. He writes about his unconventional family, his early drive to act, the celebrities he has stumbled across along with the ones he has developed close relationships with, and many of the wild experiences he has felt lucky to have in his life.
I enjoyed reading about how Rob Lowe grew up. His family was a mess, especially his mother, and while he doesn't say it straight that acting was a way to escape his family and lose himself in focusing on his craft, it is certainly implied. As many of the better celebrity memoirs are, Lowe make a point of saying that no matter how hard you work at acting and how good you are, there is always some luck involved. Lowe worked hard and made sure as he had as many opportunities for luck as possible. He also writes in awe of many of his experiences, as if he still can't believe some of the things that have happened to him. I think my favorite was he was working with James Cameron to act in a movie that Lowe wrote and was to direct (it never came to be). But really, there are so many great stories and made me smile and laugh throughout the whole book.
A fun book; I think anyone who reads STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS will have a new appreciation for who Rob Lowe really is and smile because of it.
on July 18, 2016
In my opinion, Rob Lowe is a decent actor, but an excellent book writer. I came upon this book as part of my work assignment, not as a fan, so all I really knew about Rob was the roles he's been in, specifically the more popular roles (Outsiders, About Last Night, St. Elmo's Fire).

Anyhow, don't let his pretty face and mediocre acting in the past fool you (my opinion of course, and he's gotten much better over the years). This guy had to work hard in the entertainment industry to get where he is, although I am sure his looks did help him quite a bit. But it's his way with words and art of storytelling that captivated me more than his blue eyes or celebrity status.

I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys memoirs. You don't have to be a fan, but you may end up one after reading this book. Excellent job, Mr. Lowe!
on December 10, 2014
I often stay clear of celebrity books but after reading so many good reviews I decided to make the purchase. I'm glad I did because this guy can really write !! Rob does a great job of walking you through his early years breaking into the business after he first moved to California (having the Sheens as neighbors helped I'm sure). The book is chronological starting with his child life in Ohio right on through the to the "West Wing". Lowe is a very humble man who admits to mistakes without going into detail but he illustrates great perseverance to learn from those mistakes and become a better person. Its a winner to me.

There are some really great stories in here and Rob Lowe does not dish dirt on anyone ..... in fact he shows a lot of gratitude towards those who he has met in the business. Those expecting tabloid "trash" or "dirt" won't find it here. He is a man who talks of life's choices and how he has transformed from his acting days in the 1980's to become a loving father. I respected what he had to say on many fronts.

I found myself taking his side when he expressed disappointment when he learned more than 20 minutes of his screen time was cut from the Outsiders. No one told him and he never saw it coming. I also liked the stories he shares about Michael J Fox, it's probably the funniest part in the entire book. The incident about their celebrity bus being pulled over by a cop in rural California was crazy !! Who would have thought the movie "Back To The Future" could help you get out of a ticket ?

I've seen most of Rob Lowe's movies and my personal favorites are Oxford Blues, Youngblood and Wayne's World. The most interesting pieces of information in the book to me ? Rob Lowes grueling workouts before filming Youngblood since he never knew how to skate. I may have to rent that movie again. Also Mike Myers encouraged him to write a book while he and Rob Lowe were golfing. He was correct, Rob Lowe is a great storyteller. After reading this I'm giving serious consideration to reading his follow up book "Love Life". Highly Recommended reading.
on March 20, 2017
I no teeny bopper and I normally don't read this kind of book but I wanted something that was light and fun for a vacation and happened across this book. Mr Lowe presents some very interesting stories about his early life and career and keeps things very interesting. A good number of other famous celebs cross his path and he relates stories about them. His tone is very down-to-earth, intimate, and sincere, and you can see how luck, talent, and good looks all played their part in his rise. This is great reading if you are looking for something light and fun, yet that also keeps an interesting human element. I will definitely be reading his recent sequel since I liked this book so much.
on January 17, 2018
I got this book because I watched Rob Lowe on a few TV interviews and thought he had very interesting things to say.
I really wasn't expecting much so I was pleasantly surprised to find this to be overall one of the best personal biographies I've ever read.
I guess I was expecting arrogance and pretense and got exactly the opposite. To me his public image seemed very high brow and narcissistic.
After reading the book found him to be very genuine, humble, and intelligent with a great deal of emotional depth. Who knew?
I hope he continues to write honest, insightful books like this one. If he does, I'll continue to buy them.
VINE VOICEon April 23, 2014
Rob Lowe's newest book, 'Love Life' was the first book of his I have read. I was surprised by the intelligent, insightful writing, and thought it an excellent book. I have just finished his first book, 'Stories I Only Tell My a Friends', and while it was good, his second book is far superior.

Rob Lowe started life in Ohio. He had a wonderful life until his father and mother divorced, and life became difficult. There was always enough food and clothes, but his mother became involved in a lifestyle of ultra cleanliness and strange health precautions. She married three times, and after the second marriage failed,she moved her sons to Malibu, California. This was the land of independence for Rob. At age 15, he had his first role as an actor, his best friends were the Sheen boys. As he grew older, his career took off, and we move along with him.

Rob talks about his career, his roles in films and television. We hear about the masters where he learned his craft of acting. We also hear about his love life, and what a life. Many girls, including Princess Stephanie of Monaco, Melissa Gilbert, and so many others. We also meet the true love of Rob's life, his wife, Sheryl. We hear about their romance and marriage, and then their two sons, Matthew and John Owen. One of the most interesting of stories is his life while acting in 'The West Wing'. It sounds like he got a bad deal, but he enjoyed his time while there.

Rob Lowe shares a lot of his life, glosses over the negative aspects, and concentrates on the positive. The Brat Pack makes good.

Recommended. 04-23-14
VINE VOICEon May 28, 2011
Rob Lowe has written a very good book about his life as a movie star. This is a worthwhile read. But it contains many holes and leaves you less than fully satisfied. Still, I do recommend this book for its strengths and will disclose what I believe are its weaknesses.

This book has your typical "let me tell you about my youth and how it shaped me". Through a divorced parent background with an interest in acting in Dayton, OH, Lowe and family move to Malibu. Lowe portrays himself as shy, not well liked, somewhat like a nerd. But, then he describes as a fourteen year old an attractive sixteen year old picks him for his first conquest. Yea, Rob, that happens all the time that the shy, unsophisticated younger man gets picked like this. Eventually, he falls in with the Sheen kids Emilio and Charlie who happen to also have a Tom Cruise staying at their house quite a lot. Small world.

Dramatically, Lowe gets his first job just as he is about to start college or so he writes. Then thrust into The Outsiders with Cruise, Estevez, Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell and Ralph Macchio, this is an interesting part of the book watching these famous actors grow up through the pages of this book and on the screen in one movie. I would say this is clearly the highlight to the book, warm remembrances correctly told.

Of course Lowe is bound for greater glory as a member of the Brat Pack and in typical Hollywood fashion leads the fast life. The critics seem to like that Lowe didn't sell out and delve into the tawdry details. But without doing that you have a somewhat simple story, shy kid goes big in Hollywood, lives the fast life, finds the girl of his dreams and lives happily ever after. While that may be Lowe's view, almost completely ignoring Melissa Gilbert and Demi Moore seems to be done to focus on his wife and not create controversy. He does try to justify how his sex tape was not totally his fault also which is quite a stretch.

Look, I like Lowe and followed many of his movies and applaud him for a great career. Clearly he had a large fall from favor and has recovered to plod out a great living. And, I guess it's sweet to see an actor lead the hard life and recover to raise a family and have only one wife. But no mention of the tawdry charge from the housekeeper? Not even mentioned! So what you are left with is the story that Lowe wanted to tell you. And Lowe didn't want to discuss any of the controversial times. End of story. If you want a good story of a life in Hollywood then this is a solid book. If you are looking for the full story and complete honesty, well, then this falls short.
on May 25, 2014
You only need to read page one to learn that Lowe is an engaging writer. His stories are surprising and fascinating in turns. He lets you take a shameless peek behind the curtains of Hollywood, and there were times that I felt such a connection to his intimate experiences as a child of divorce that I was brought to tears.

His bald and unflinching honesty was delightfully unexpected. I must admit though, that the holes in the story were made all the more obvious because of it. It was difficult to trust him when he spoke of his "vision" upon seeing the Rob + Sheryl sign when I knew he had been engaged to Melissa Gilbert before this, and to allow myself to feel engaged when he spoke of his first feelings regarding fatherhood. Unless Gilbert was lying, and I don't believe Lowe has ever denied it... She was pregnant during their engagement and lost the baby. The fact that he almost completely omits every detail of his relationship with her seems very shady. Why keep mum about that section of his life and expose his parent's flaws (particularly his mother's) in such an unforgiving light? But, of course, I don't know what circumstances may have prevented his divulgences (legal or otherwise) and I still enjoyed the book enough to read Love Life next.

Having acted and directed most of my life, I found his experiences and words of wisdom in that arena to be fascinating enough for the sequel. I'm more interested in his professional life anyway. The man is seriously talented -- no matter what he chooses to do. I've laughed so hard watching him play Chris on Parks and Recreation that I have 'literally' choked on my beverage... more than once.
on June 8, 2014
I always loved Rob Lowe & enjoyed his '80's movies and remembered when his sexual antics were always displayed in the tabloids but seeing how he is today & how he has matured & loves being a Dad, I realized a lot of us "fans' did not know the real Rob Lowe, so I wanted to read this book. I thought it was very interesting to learn about his upbringing, where he grew up etc. and how he got started into acting. I only wish he had not "glossed over" some events that would have really peaked my interest. He does a lot of name dropping but does not go into a lot of detail. I did learn a lot about this man & admire him more especially knowing what he had gone through with his mother's illness and his own issues with alcohol & how he saved himself. I give this book 3 stars out of 5. Good reading but wish he had told us more "dirt".