Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 5, 2017
STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS by Rob Lowe is a memoir of Rob Lowe life from childhood thru to right after he finished his work on The West Wing. He writes about his unconventional family, his early drive to act, the celebrities he has stumbled across along with the ones he has developed close relationships with, and many of the wild experiences he has felt lucky to have in his life.
I enjoyed reading about how Rob Lowe grew up. His family was a mess, especially his mother, and while he doesn't say it straight that acting was a way to escape his family and lose himself in focusing on his craft, it is certainly implied. As many of the better celebrity memoirs are, Lowe make a point of saying that no matter how hard you work at acting and how good you are, there is always some luck involved. Lowe worked hard and made sure as he had as many opportunities for luck as possible. He also writes in awe of many of his experiences, as if he still can't believe some of the things that have happened to him. I think my favorite was he was working with James Cameron to act in a movie that Lowe wrote and was to direct (it never came to be). But really, there are so many great stories and made me smile and laugh throughout the whole book.
A fun book; I think anyone who reads STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS will have a new appreciation for who Rob Lowe really is and smile because of it.
on March 20, 2017
I no teeny bopper and I normally don't read this kind of book but I wanted something that was light and fun for a vacation and happened across this book. Mr Lowe presents some very interesting stories about his early life and career and keeps things very interesting. A good number of other famous celebs cross his path and he relates stories about them. His tone is very down-to-earth, intimate, and sincere, and you can see how luck, talent, and good looks all played their part in his rise. This is great reading if you are looking for something light and fun, yet that also keeps an interesting human element. I will definitely be reading his recent sequel since I liked this book so much.
VINE VOICEon April 23, 2014
Rob Lowe's newest book, 'Love Life' was the first book of his I have read. I was surprised by the intelligent, insightful writing, and thought it an excellent book. I have just finished his first book, 'Stories I Only Tell My a Friends', and while it was good, his second book is far superior.

Rob Lowe started life in Ohio. He had a wonderful life until his father and mother divorced, and life became difficult. There was always enough food and clothes, but his mother became involved in a lifestyle of ultra cleanliness and strange health precautions. She married three times, and after the second marriage failed,she moved her sons to Malibu, California. This was the land of independence for Rob. At age 15, he had his first role as an actor, his best friends were the Sheen boys. As he grew older, his career took off, and we move along with him.

Rob talks about his career, his roles in films and television. We hear about the masters where he learned his craft of acting. We also hear about his love life, and what a life. Many girls, including Princess Stephanie of Monaco, Melissa Gilbert, and so many others. We also meet the true love of Rob's life, his wife, Sheryl. We hear about their romance and marriage, and then their two sons, Matthew and John Owen. One of the most interesting of stories is his life while acting in 'The West Wing'. It sounds like he got a bad deal, but he enjoyed his time while there.

Rob Lowe shares a lot of his life, glosses over the negative aspects, and concentrates on the positive. The Brat Pack makes good.

Recommended. 04-23-14
VINE VOICEon November 12, 2017
This frank autobiography shows that celebrities and the rich have the same problems as we humble folk. Insecurities and fears of failure, Rob recounts his early lack of confidence. He gives a candid account of his life and his winding path to success. His California adolescence was interesting. Also his romantic affairs. And his days with the "brat pack". I really enjoyed this book and read it in 2 sittings. I have a new found respect for Rob.
on December 10, 2014
I often stay clear of celebrity books but after reading so many good reviews I decided to make the purchase. I'm glad I did because this guy can really write !! Rob does a great job of walking you through his early years breaking into the business after he first moved to California (having the Sheens as neighbors helped I'm sure). The book is chronological starting with his child life in Ohio right on through the to the "West Wing". Lowe is a very humble man who admits to mistakes without going into detail but he illustrates great perseverance to learn from those mistakes and become a better person. Its a winner to me.

There are some really great stories in here and Rob Lowe does not dish dirt on anyone ..... in fact he shows a lot of gratitude towards those who he has met in the business. Those expecting tabloid "trash" or "dirt" won't find it here. He is a man who talks of life's choices and how he has transformed from his acting days in the 1980's to become a loving father. I respected what he had to say on many fronts.

I found myself taking his side when he expressed disappointment when he learned more than 20 minutes of his screen time was cut from the Outsiders. No one told him and he never saw it coming. I also liked the stories he shares about Michael J Fox, it's probably the funniest part in the entire book. The incident about their celebrity bus being pulled over by a cop in rural California was crazy !! Who would have thought the movie "Back To The Future" could help you get out of a ticket ?

I've seen most of Rob Lowe's movies and my personal favorites are Oxford Blues, Youngblood and Wayne's World. The most interesting pieces of information in the book to me ? Rob Lowes grueling workouts before filming Youngblood since he never knew how to skate. I may have to rent that movie again. Also Mike Myers encouraged him to write a book while he and Rob Lowe were golfing. He was correct, Rob Lowe is a great storyteller. After reading this I'm giving serious consideration to reading his follow up book "Love Life". Highly Recommended reading.
on July 18, 2016
In my opinion, Rob Lowe is a decent actor, but an excellent book writer. I came upon this book as part of my work assignment, not as a fan, so all I really knew about Rob was the roles he's been in, specifically the more popular roles (Outsiders, About Last Night, St. Elmo's Fire).

Anyhow, don't let his pretty face and mediocre acting in the past fool you (my opinion of course, and he's gotten much better over the years). This guy had to work hard in the entertainment industry to get where he is, although I am sure his looks did help him quite a bit. But it's his way with words and art of storytelling that captivated me more than his blue eyes or celebrity status.

I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys memoirs. You don't have to be a fan, but you may end up one after reading this book. Excellent job, Mr. Lowe!
on February 7, 2017
Happily surprised at how well written this is! A great read. Rob captures you in the incredible first chapter and does not disappoint throughout. I've been a fan since The Outsiders and About Last Night is one of my favorites, now I admire the man so much more. If you're considering reading, go for it. Highly recommend! I'm off to read Love Life now!
VINE VOICEon May 6, 2011
I was never a big Rob Lowe fan during his heyday. I guess I just considered him a very fortunate and moderately interesting pretty boy. Except for The West Wing I couldn't even remember a single movie the guy was in. Sorry.

I bought this book after reading an excerpt in Vanity Fair. What an absolutely delightful surprise. Thoroughly entertaining, funny, insightful, reflective and a little saucy. Something he can be very, very proud of. It isn't often that I pre-order a book sight unseen by an unknown author, but I'm really, really glad that I did so this time.

If you're a fan of Mr. Lowe or just a fan of the movie industry, I strongly recommend you buy this book. It will keep you engrossed and leave you with a positive feeling at the end of it all that this guy turned out pretty good (not just pretty). I think I might need to plan a Rob Lowe retrospective movie week-end in the near future.
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 24, 2017
This book is an excellent behind the scenes a decisions of one the best actors. I am a total "wing nut" ( west wing fan) and I wish it had gone on and on. Rob captures the highs and lows of not his career but his life. I highly recommend this book
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Rob Lowe's story is an honest and fascinating inside look at his life starting from childhood through today. His stories are personal, straightforward, and ring of truth. A bit gossipy at times but he's quite forthcoming about his own failures and his hard personal work to overcome self-created and other obstacles in his personal and professional life. This book moves far beyond your typical movie star ghost-written tabloid trash - it's a fun read.