Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,348 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,451 reviews
on July 1, 2012
Full disclosure here - I am not a gamer, I just want to buy a quality keyboard for my work and personal use. the selection criteria for the key board for me are:

1. Good touch and feel- I do not like the mushy feeling of the cheap keyboard came with every PC.
2. Good quality- keyboard material and workmanship must be good.
3. Small and no bell and whistle- the keyboard has to be clean in design and good in execution, I do not want a keyboard that have many features I do not use.

For the above selection criteria, I did check out some of the keyboards from different manufactures, I ended up with the basic requirements for a mechanical keyboard and preferably with Cherry blue or red switch, I ended up buying both from Cooler Master.

In my opinion, Cooler Master key board has the best price performance point of any other keyboards I compared with, especially, you do not care about 10 keys entry, I like the tactile feedback of the blue switch, and I also like the easiness of red switch, I decide I will use blue at my work and red for home. Both keyboards provide excellent value, and they are also very quality made, I do not think you will go wrong with any of them.

10-7-2012

After bought another CM red keyboard, and use both for a while (one at work, one at home), I think CM blue is better, CM red has this soft feel with less of a feedback than CM blue, when typing fast, I make more mistakes on CM red than CM blue. Also on my CM red, the PS2 connector seems to have connectivity problem, it will drop the letters for no apparent reason, after I switch to USB connector, all is well, I will not just fault CM keyboard yet, it may very well because of my motherboard problem than keyboard issue.

In general, both keyboards perform well, I like the quality of the build and they serve the intended purpose.

5-25-2013

Here is my personal observation, just overall feeling after using the mechanical keyboard for a while, I now have doubts of the mechanical keyboard, its overall effort in actuation of the keys, and the accuracy of the typing associated with it, I found mechanical keyboard exert more pressure to your finger joints than other type of keyboards, and it is really a personal preference issue. I still think CM makes very good keyboard, and quality is obvious there, but I feel my finger joints aching after a long day using mechanical keyboard. This is my personal opinion, take it with a grain of salt before you make decision on the mechanical keyboard.

3-2-2014

After almost 2 years continue use, no problem, the quality of the product is good and reliability is proven.

6-19-2016
Continue performs well,. no issue what so ever.
review image
33 comments| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2013
INTRODUCTION

After being on backorder from Amazon since June, my CoolerMaster (CM) Storm Quickfire Rapid (QFR) Stealth tenkeyless (TKL) keyboard with Cherry MX green switches finally arrived. Currently, it is difficult to find TKL keyboards with Cherry green switches; therefore, because of the uniqueness of this keyboard, I thought it would be helpful to post a brief review. The price for this keyboard is $119.99 not including shipping; $105.91 for Amazon Prime. The same keyboard with Cherry blue switches is $94.99 or $81.53 for Amazon Prime. There are no pics in this review; please see the CM website for images of the product. CM Storm QuickFire Stealth - Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with CHERRY MX GREEN Switches and Covert Keycaps

The main reason I bought this keyboard was for the green switches. Like Cherry blues, green switches have both tactile and auditory feedback when actuated -- you can feel a slight "bump" and hear a click. However, blues have an actuation force of 50 grams (actually 50 cN), whereas greens have an actuation force of 80 grams (80 cN). This puts the green switch into the range of the IBM buckling spring, which has an actuation range of 60-80 cN; however, because the actuation mechanism and force-time curve of the buckling spring is completely different from these processes in a Cherry green switch, using a keyboard with Cherry greens will not replicate the experience of typing on an IBM Model M keyboard. Nevertheless, there will be a noticeable difference between typing with blues versus greens; the greens will require harder key presses, making it more difficult to register a keystroke accidentally.

PACKAGING

The outer box was smaller than I had expected, and upon shaking it, I could feel the inner box sliding back and forth. When I opened the outer box, I found that the inner box was only partially surrounded by a few small airbags, and some of them were deflated. This poor packaging allowed the inner box to slip to and fro within the outer box. Usually, anything I have received from Amazon has been very well packed. This was an exception.

The inner Cooler Master box was a fairly standard container for a TKL keyboard, but with a cheaper feel and with more illustrations and branding than the box that housed my Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL keyboard. Inside the inner box, I found the keyboard wrapped in thin white foam, a small pamphlet manual, USB to PS/2 adapter, USB cable, and a bag containing two CoolerMaster-branded modifier keycaps along with a set of red keycaps with arrowheads on top and WASD on the front. I was a bit disappointed that CM did not include a clear plastic keyboard cover like the one that came with my Filco, but I would probably not use it anyway.

KEYBOARD CHARACTERISTICS

The keyboard is essentially identical in size and shape to the Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL, except that the corners of the CM case are slightly more rounded. The case has a rubberized texture that gives it a matte black appearance and a velvet-like feel. I assume, but I do not know, that the texture is a coating rather than being integral to the case material. I like the matte appearance, but I would prefer to know that this was an intrinsic property of the case rather than being a coating of some kind that might wear off with time.

Lifting the board out of the box, I appreciated a decent heft, due in part to the steel backplate. According to my balance, the keyboard weighs 907 grams without its USB cable and 953 grams with the cable (weight reported on the CM website is 940 grams), a bit lighter than the 980 grams of the Filco TKL keyboard (including its built-in cable). Placing the keyboard on my desk, I found that it sat level with no wobble, with or without the legs extended. Without the legs extended, the rubber strips on the bottom of the case keep the keyboard from slipping. However, with the non-rubberized plastic legs extended, the keyboard slideswhen pushed, but with normal typing, it stays put. With the legs extended, the slope of the keyboard is essentially the same as that of my other keyboards, providing a comfortable angle for typing.

Like the Ninja keycaps on the Filco, the CM Stealth has relatively thin ABS keycaps with non-printed tops and printing on the front. The font is an unattractive attempt to be futuristic; nevertheless, I found the legends to be reasonably legible on the alpha keys, but a bit too small on the F-keys and number keys.

The detachable USB cable has gold-colored contacts, and the outer insulation on the cable is braided. The cable wire is very stiff; if you bend it, the bend stays put. I would prefer a more flexible wire. The micro-USB connector fits into a recessed area underneath the rear-center of the keyboard that is part of a cable routing system. The cable can exit from the center, right, or left of the keyboard, depending on your preference. At first, I tried to connect the keyboard using another cable that I already had connected to my computer. However, I could not connect it, because the recessed area under the keyboard was too short for the connector, requiring me to use the cable that was supplied with the keyboard.

TYPING

The first thing I noticed when typing on the new board was that the green switches required noticeably greater force than the blue switches on my other keyboards. This is exactly what I wanted, and I find the green switches a great improvement over blues. They are of course nothing like the buckling springs in my IBM Model M or IBM SSK, but I now know that greens are my favorite Cherry switch. I hope that all keyboard manufacturers who use Cherry switches will make Cherry greens one of the standard options. Now that I have tried greens, I do not want to go back to blues.

Being accustomed to buckling springs, my typing style is to bottom out with every keystroke. On the CM QFR, I found that the feel and sound of the keys was uniform across the board. To my delight, the larger stabilized keys with their Costar stabilizers were amazingly smooth and free of rattles. Although I appreciate Cherry stabilizers when I am replacing keycaps, and I have previously failed to detect a functional advantage of Costar stabilizers on other keyboards, the implementation of Costar stabilizers on the CM QFR is wonderful.

CONCLUSION

This is an excellent and handsome TKL keyboard. My only quibbles with it are the choice of font on the front-printed keycaps, lack of room in the USB connector recess, stiffness of the USB cable, question about potential erosion of the rubberized coating on the case, and lack of rubberized feet on the extendable legs. Therefore, my overall rating is 4 stars; if CM addresses these relatively minor points in future versions of the keyboard, it would rate 5 stars. The Cherry green switches get 5 stars; the only thing better is the IBM buckling spring. It would also be nice to have dye-sublimated thick PBT keycaps, but this would be more appropriate for the non-stealth version of the keyboard.

Although promoted as a gaming keyboard, I find normal typing on the CM QFR with Cherry greens to be smooth, fast, accurate, and highly enjoyable. In fact, the sound and feel of typing on the CM QFR with Cherry greens is much better than typing on my Filco MJ2 TKL with Cherry blues. Although the difference between the two boards must be due in part to the difference between Cherry blues and greens, there are other factors at work to make the overall typing experience better with the CM QFR.

I can highly recommend the CM QFR as a great all-around keyboard, as suitable for the office as for gaming. I also applaud CM for providing Cherry green switches as an option. Now I would not want to go back to Cherry blues, and I hope that other keyboard manufacturers will soon make Cherry greens a standard option.
22 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2016
This is my first mechanical keyboard. I was guided here by the lovely mechanical keyboard subreddit (they are all really nice there) because not only is it a nice first mk setup, but there was also a good deal during black friday/cyber monday. It is NOT a RGB light up keyboard, as a heads up. I know a lot of people like that stuff. I would recommend doing a little research online before buying a keyboard as there are soooo many options and price ranges out there. [...] is a great place to start. I opted for the board to be shipped in its own box and had no problems. It actually shipped a day earlier than predicted and I was more than excited to get it fired up. It is heavy and durable feeling, with a nice rubbery finish. There are plenty of video reviews of this keyboard on YoutTube which I would recommend watching before making a purchase. Hope this helps!
on April 3, 2016
The Keyboard Itself: The perfect keyboard for someone who wants just a basic Cherry MX Mechanical Keyboard, with a standard keycap layout. The stock keycaps on the keyboard do leave a little bit to be desired (thin plastic, and the "GAM3R" like font might put you off as well), but the keyboard itself is very well made, and uses a keyswitch design and layout that allows you to buy any other keycaps you want, and replace them. The only other thing different about the MX Red version of this board compared to the MX Blue, MX Brown, or MX Green version (other than the switches used) is that the mx red version has a red switch plate, so you can see red underneath the keys themselves when you are looking at the keyboard (Cooler Master's product pictures outline this very well), where the Blue, Brown, and Green switches just have a black backplate, so you can only see black underneath the keycaps.

Talking about the switches themselves: MX reds are a linear switch, meaning they don't give off any feedback when they are pressed down, they just register as pressed when you are about half way through the keypress motion. Reds are also fairly light to type on, so you might be more prone to making typing errors and mistakes while using them compared to a heavier switch, but they are better for double tapping if you are a gamer, and many gamers prefer the MX red switch. I personally like it for typing and gaming as well, but a lot of switch choice matters with keyboards come down to personal preference.
on May 1, 2016
I love this keyboard so much. no bs. just a TKL keyboard with cherry mx blues. I love it! great build quality
on March 17, 2014
There's not really much to say about this keyboard. With Cherry MX Browns, it's not incredibly loud. I use it at my office, and none of my coworkers have complained about it. The switches themselves feel great, much better than the rubber domes on my previous keyboard. I'm sort of an MX Blue purist, and, while they're not quite as heavy or loud, these switches are more than adequate. There's little to no flex to the board, and construction overall feels solid (as one would expect from a plate-mounted keyboard).

One thing that could've been done better is the lettering on the keycaps. However, this keyboard follows the Cherry OEM profile, so the keycaps are easily replaceable. Another creature comfort I would've liked is rubber feet on the legs. The board itself has rubber feet on the bottom, but, when you incline it, the legs have no rubber. This leads to some slippage, but it's not too terribly noticeable.
on November 17, 2016
I got this keyboard for work to replace the cheap membrane one that they originally provided. I have a Logitech keyboard with Cherry Brown switches at home, and wanted a nice mechanical keyboard at work since I'm typing most of the day. I didn't need one with Ten Key so this one is a perfect size. I also wanted a keyboard with no frills, so the lack of backlighting and USB pass through is fine with me. I also needed something that looked okay in an office environment, and this does the trick. The keyboard is heavier than it looks and appears sturdy, durable, and well-made.

The main reason most people would be looking at this keyboard is the Cherry Green switches, which are somewhat rare. For what I use this keyboard for, I love them. I've tried most of the Cherry switches, and the Greens are my favorite for pure typing. I'm a decent, but not great, typist (I use proper fingering/don't look at my hands, but I'm also not blazingly fast), and I find that I make less mistakes due to the force you need to depress each key. You won't find yourself accidentally hitting two keys or anything like that. Like other reviews have pointed out, the Green switches are loud, but I haven't had any complaints from co-workers. I have my own office, which helps, as I can imagine this keyboard would be distracting in a cubicle or classroom environment. Also, because of how hard it is to press down on the keys to register the keystroke, my hands were tired at the end of the day after a day's work. When I go home and type on Browns the Browns feel like nothing *they actually feel a bit flimsy). However, I got used to the Greens pretty quickly and typing on this keyboard is a pleasure.

I wouldn't recommend this for gaming, although I'm sure that some people use Greens for this purpose and enjoy them. For gaming, if you're sticking with Cherry, I would go with Reds, Blacks, or Browns (which are my favorites for games). Also, this keyboard sits a bit high, so a wrist rest made things more comfortable for me; I use a thin 14" Glorious PC Gaming Race one, which fits this particular keyboard perfectly (see photo I've included). I highly recommend the Quickfire, especially for the price i got it for (around $70).
review image review image
on October 7, 2015
Background: Using this keyboard at work in the Mechanical Engineering profession and using a Corsair K65 RGB (also TKL) at home for gaming, etc.

Pros -
* Size - There is no wasted space with this keyboard. Love how small it is.
* Switches - For strictly typing all day at work, the browns are probably the best compromise in a crowded office. I haven't tested MX blues or greens in the office, I just went ahead and assumed the click was too loud from in-store testing. I actually feel that the browns are quieter than the reds because the "tactile bump" helps to keep from bottoming out as much coming from years of membrane and laptop keyboard use.
* Build - This keyboard is small but solid. The keys are also nice and solid compared to others. Love the lights on CAPS LOCK, scroll lock, and windows key lockout

Cons -
* Key size - Coming from the Corsair K65, I had already gotten used to the smaller tops on it. It only took a little getting used to, but there is definitely a difference between the two. The bigger keycap was less my style to begin with, so it goes in con
* No wrist rest - The wrist rest included with the K65 is awesome. The QF does not include a wrist rest, which is pretty much the only real problem I have found with the keyboard. If it came with a wrist rest similar to the Corsair, then this thing would be a perfect daily driver at work.

Some explanations:
You might think I would be using the numpad a lot as an engineer type. Well I've been surprised how little I've needed a numpad since moving to a tenkyless at work BUT when I do a numpad, I have a wireless Logitech numpad that I like WAY BETTER than any numpad ever included on a keyboard. So the tenkeyless has become my weapon of choice everywhere.

I have not done any gaming with this keyboard. It does have windows key lockout (which I don't use) and seems fairly well equipped for a gaming setup, but my preference still lies with MX Reds and RGB lighting for gaming.
on December 26, 2013
I bought this keyboard to use at work, I am a Pipe Designer, I do a lot of CAD based work and not a lot of extensive typing outside of key commands.
So when I picked the CM Storm, I was just planning on getting something relatively cheap and nothing over the top (LED's and such). I was expecting something cheaply made. I have been proven very wrong. This keyboard feels oh so solid. The case is a nice matte black with a rubberized texture. This worried me at first, I was concerned about scratches. To my relief, it seems to a be a very tough surface and it feels very nice to the touch. This thing is heavy. I thought my Logitech G510 had some weight to it but, no. My old Mak-100 doesn't even compare. This keyboard is not going anywhere.
Typing, while clicky, has a firm feel to it. Bottoming out doesn't sound or feel hollow.
I knew greens sounded like blues only where supposedly heavier and required more force. I wasn't expecting them to be as stiff as they are. I am assuming that over time they will lighten up. I can see where a coder/typist would get fatigued over time. That being said, OMG THE CLICKS! I am loving the sound and feel of greens. Compared to the Razor (w/ blues) that convinced me I need to give Mechs a chance, this is heaven. I am currently typing on it now and it just feels great.
So far, my only really complaint is they key caps. Yes, they are just plain ABS plastic but, they feel a bit on the cheap side. This wouldn't have really stood out if the rest of the keyboard hadn't been so phenomenal. Comparing the caps to the ones on my Poker II (which is ABS due to LEDs), they just feel different, like they are thinner almost. The printed lettering is uneven on some of the caps and it can get a little distracting.
The 3 red LEDs for NUM/CAPS/SCR are visible but, not intrusive, even in a darkened room. The print for those LEDs is a dark grey. When sitting on the desk (duh), the only branding isn't visible. I can see this keyboard being a great starting point for a minimalist build. Speaking of, I have a full set of WASD key caps on order. I am hoping they will be better feeling than stock.
So, that's just my quick run down. Sorry if I missed any key points or rambled a bit. If any has any questions, please just ask and I will answer to the best of my ability!

EDIT: I added red o-rings to tone down the bottoming out sounds, which made a bit of a metallic clack. Sounds and feels much better.
on November 25, 2015
Great keyboard. For readers, note that i purchased the MX Red version of this keyboard.

First off, for some reason I was under the impression that this keyboard would have backlighting. To clarify, it does NOT have backlighting - I think the Quickfire Rapid-I has backlighting. This is not a bad thing for me though because I didn't really care for the backlighting in the first place.

The main reason that I purchased this keyboard was because it was the cheapest tenkeyless keyboard with MX-Red keys. I got it for 74 dollars and it will be 59 after my rebate. I already have experience with other key switches, and I wanted the MX Red because they personally feel better for me when I am typing. Although I can type perfectly fine on my MX Blue keyboard, I often make a few mistakes due to the sensitivity of the switch (something something requires more pressure to depress the key). I have a typing speed of 180WPM, so it gets kinda annoying to go back and correct errors every few words.

I did not try out a MX red keyboard before hand, which is a bad idea for a number of reasons, but I have heard that it felt similar to MX browns. I recommend that anyone interested in a mechanical keyboard test out the key switches they are interested in either through a keycap tester or on a keyboard itself. I'd advise against following guides that tell you a particular switch is good for typing or gaming; they are generalities and the best keyboard for (whatever) is the one that you like best. Many people say MX reds are not good for typing because of how sensitive the keys are or for some other silly reason. Try it out, and if you experience those problems, then perhaps its not for you. I personally thought that MX reds were not that sensitive in that I would be making a mistake by simply brushing the key (like many people on forums made it seem like); however, it may simply be because I am a more accurate typer.

The feel itself is definitely very different from an MX blue keyboard. First off, they are linear switches so there is some...pressure all the way down. it feels a little weird as if there's something in my key or something, but it's not a bad thing. Also, it's significantly quieter than my MX blues, which is a good thing if I am in a room with someone sleeping or something like that (college student). Those are the main differences that I notice.

Despite being the cheapest keyboard that I could find with MX switches, this keyboard feels anything but cheap. The MX blue keyboard that I have feels significantly cheaper in that it flexes a little and is a little on the lighter side. This keyboard is pretty heavy and does not seem to flex at all. It is also relatively small which will allow it to easily fit in a bag or something like that. The rubber feet on the back of the keyboard also do an excellent job of keeping the keyboard from slipping.

There are lights on the capslock and scroll lock. I remember watching a video that said that the keyboard did not have those lights; perhaps it was on an older model or on the Rapid-I (which has backlighting). This is extremely convenient in that I know when they are on.