Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(4 star, Verified Purchases). See all 115 reviews
on September 23, 2016
I love the book and CD overall. It is educational and interesting for all ages. But one thing that bothers me is that all treble cleffs in the illustrations are mirror written. Wish those were correctly drawn for educational purpose.
on October 1, 2016
The book is excellent for my 4 and 6 year old. I wish the cd had some narration of the book included so we could listen to it in the car and reinforce the concepts (it's just clips of music). Still worth the buy though.
on November 29, 2014
Quality book. I was hoping to hear sounds of instruments by themselves though too so I was disappointed in that. I thought the cd would be more interactive then just the songs.
on April 6, 2013
I use this book for teaching about the orchestra in my grammar school music class. I really like the music examples that accompany each composer and instrument. My only complaint is that I wish I would have known that there are different versions of this book out there. The version that I used from our local library had a song example on the cd for each composer, however the one I bought through Amazon has four composers examples missing.
on January 16, 2010
This book provides a wonderful introduction to classical music and the orchestra, at a level suitable for the entire family.

Part I highlights 15 major composers from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Modern eras. Part II, which is the main part of the book, covers nearly all of the instruments in the orchestra from the string, woodwind, brass, percussion, and keyboard sections.

All of this is described with engaging narrative and effective graphics. And most importantly, the text is accompanied by an audio CD, so that you can actually hear what's being described. Considering all of this, this book is an utter bargain at this price.

So why 4 stars? Because, to the shock of my entire family, we found that there are no audio selections for a significant handful of composers and instruments. Encountering these omissions created a jarring feeling of discontinuity, like becoming absorbed in a great novel only to encounter missing chapters. I have no idea why these omissions were allowed.

The omissions aren't quite a fatal flaw, so I can still certainly recommend this book, but be prepared to fill in the gaps using other sources if you want to avoid a feeling of incompleteness.
on January 22, 2013
I bought this for my 11 year old daughter after hearing how much she enjoyed stories shared during her music class. She loves it so much she wants to recommend it to her music teacher!
on February 16, 2017
Very handy for a quick lesson on orchestral instruments.
on October 7, 2009
The sampling of music on the CD is the best part of the book. It has samples of many different types of music that go along with the sections of the book. The music is all familiar and enjoyable. It's a great introduction to various orchestral types of music.
on February 26, 2009
When I ordered "The story of the Orchestra" I thought I was ordering a CD. I was presently surprised when I discovered that it was a book. The book is a delightful and educational resource for our children and the CD was an instant hit with the whole family. I highly recommend it.
on December 6, 2009
My class and I discussed a composer each day and played a piece. We described how the music made us feel. Kids really enjoyed this and it was interesting to see how many they already recognised.