Lyft Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Cyber Monday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Echo Cyber Monday Deals: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

on November 8, 2013
In the year 2000, the BBC launched a true crowning achievement for their company and the industry that is historical documentary. They produced "A History of Britain." From that came a true template for what made a documentary worthy of the story it was trying to tell. It was honest. It was real. It allowed for self-congratulation to it's people, but it never once shied away from the grim realities of a time-line of poor decisions. Nevertheless, AHB did manage to focus primarily on England's story. And this is not to say that the Scottish, Welsh, and Irish in particular were left from the story -- no, but that merely it almost seemed like the history as the English saw it. To that end, in the decade that followed the BBC saw a potential to fine tune the delivery in provincial attempts, i.e. "Story of Wales." I liked the presentation. But perhaps because AHB and "A History of Scotland" spoiled me so much, I was ready for an epic. I was ready for a journey that had me, as a viewer, as a scholar touch face with the different eras in way where I could and would feel somewhere deep in my soul a true sense of Welshness - of wanting for them what they wanted for themselves. It was that unique feeling that both Simon Schama and Neil Oliver were able to expertly craft in their telling of the national sagas of a people, but Hew Edward seemed more like a Welsh face for a Welsh series. To that end, sadly, it only seemed an asterisk to the general disposition by others for the Welsh, that being the quaint other in a land no longer deemed theirs.
on February 7, 2017
The host is knowledgeable and personable enough, but I could never quite get the same sense of drama that a Simon Schama, Neil Oliver or even a Bettany Hughes brings to their productions. The beginning and end episodes especially play out less as history and more as chamber of commerce infomercial.
on January 23, 2013
Very nice history of Wales with much new information to me. I think that anyone interested in how the UK came about would like this disc as well as The History of Scotland. It certainly helps an outsider understand the differences in outlooks as one moves about the UK.
on April 28, 2013
This is a very entertaining and educational history of Wales. I loved every minute of it. My grandfather was a Welsh coal miner who immigrated to the US in 1918. We've often wondered about his life in Wales. He died when my father was 18 and didn't talk much about his life in Wales. My husband, my sister and all of our children visited Wales in 2000. We loved the countryside and the Welsh people. This helps us to understand our Welsh experience better.
on November 29, 2012
EXCELLENT HISTORY FOR ANYONE INTERESTED IN WALES. FROM THE BEGINNING TO PRESENT TIME. AWARD WINNING IN UK AND I AGREE.
on April 21, 2017
Older but still an interesting story.
on July 13, 2015
This is one fantastic series. It incorporates historical accuracy with contemporary issues and does so in a very intelligent manner. It is a complete story of an almost forgotten part of the UK. For those interested in the development of Wales from prehistoric times to the present, this series is a must for your video library. Can't say enough about this series.
on February 8, 2015
I bought this series in preparation for a trip to Wales. Knowing English history very well, I have been amazed at how little I know about Wales. The narrator/host is quite good and has an obvious love for his country. The language is still a mystery to me though!
on March 3, 2015
Excellent short history, very informative, with great photography I .would recommend for those who want a very good overview of not only Wales but ancient Britain and where Wales fit into British history.
on June 7, 2013
We have visited Wales twice and while we learned much of its history while there and from suggested reading lists the Story of Wales DVD set presents this history in a very cogent presentation. It is most highly recommended before you visit the first time and as a reminder of a fascinating country long after you have returned.