Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 22 reviews
on April 26, 2017
I bought this thinking it was SBW Deluxe 2004, which I have already. The 2004 version will work with WIndows 7. This one won't. The graphics and setup are different, but basically the kids like the programs.
on August 25, 2011
My kids love this program. We used it many years ago when my oldest was learning to read. We were using a much older computer and had since lost the disk. We were thrilled to find the game is still available. The box says it is from 1998, works with Windows 98, Me, XP- 486 or higher. We have relatively new systems, running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. I took a chance that I could make the game work. When I ran the installation program, I got an error that the 16-bit program could not run on this system. The option to Run from disk is blanked out, so you can't choose it. You just end up with an installation error, because the installation program can't run on Windows 7. And a sad child, which is very motivating to get a game to work.

So I did a lot of internet searching and was very discouraged by the fact that everyone with Windows 7 Home Premium had the same trouble. To run 16-bit programs on Windows 7 64-bit, Microsoft recommends upgrading to higher version of Windows 7. Then, they say, you can install the XP virtual machine program, and possibly make your Windows 7 64-bit run this little old game. (You can't install XP virtual machine on Windows 7 Home Premium.) That seemed an expensive and frustrating solution, especially because it was not clear that it would definitely work. It is an expensive maybe.

So I played around on the drive some, and looked at the files on the disk. Like the old days, there had a to be file that just runs the program. I was able to find it and run Storybook Weaver right from the disk. Ta da!

If you have 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, and you want to make this work, try what I did: Insert the CD for the game. If it tries to install, just shut down the error window. Click the Start button on Windows. Type Run in search window. Find the Run program in the Programs list above. Click it. Then, browse to the disk in the drive. Find the folder/directory called SBWDLX. Open that folder. Find the file called SBW95. This is an application. Double click on that file. And Run it. The program should run. An alternative method- instead of getting to Run from the Start menu, you can search for the application file by searching the Computer. Go directly to the inserted disk, find the application file, and right click it and run it.

If you are a little computer savvy, you can actually copy the contents of the disk onto the hard drive of the computer, and run the file from the hard drive. Hope this works for you- it is a great little program and worth the little bit of effort to get it to run on a newer system.
55 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2007
My granddaughter (then 6 yrs) had the original version of Storybook Weaver and loved it. She recently asked if there is an updated version so we searched and found out there was an undated version (Storybook Weaver Deluxe). We bought it and she enjoys it even more since it has more graphics and updated features. She is now 8. This came out in 90's and works great on our XP SP2 computer.
on September 26, 2007
The storybook weaver deluxe does exactly what it promises and it provided hours of fun and kept my son busy. He is a third grader and I found this product really help him in school too.
on January 31, 2009
Runs on older Windows versions. My son loves it. Beware: WILL NOT RUN ON WIN VISTA 64 Bit -- Believe this is a 16 bit program which VISTA does not support at all (only 32 and 64 bit).
on May 2, 2009
I was very excited to get this software for my 7 year old. We tried loading it several times, but it isn't compatible with Windows Vista. Very disappointing!
on June 7, 2011
Loved the idea of this software and bought it for my daughter's birthday. She was thrilled but it won't load onto her computer. It seems StoryBook is a 16-bit where her laptop is 64-bit - incompatible. There appear to be free downloads out there so we'll check those out.
on May 26, 2013
Since there was not a "could not use it" star - I just picked a one. There was nothing in the explanation of this product nor even on the box to let me know that I had to have a 32 bit (not a 64 bit) computer to use it. I so wanted this product but it just sits in its box because I cannot install it. I did check to make sure everything else was compatible and it was - but nothing was noted about the bit of the computer.
on November 11, 2012
My daughter uses this program at her school and asked that I buy it for home. For the price you get what you pay for. It allows her to make little stories about various subjects (her favorite is Racoons playing football).
on June 12, 2016
Great software. I would recommend it unconditionally. The product arrived in a timely manner and was adequately packaged and presented. It was exactly as described in the Product Description.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.