Customer Reviews: Straight Talk about Psychiatric Medications for Kids, Third Edition
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 21, 1998
As a parent I found this to be a really helpful book in understanding what was wrong with my son. It was also comforting to know about the different drugs, how they work, and if they were safe. It is the best book about childrens problems I have read.
on May 19, 2001
When parents want to know more about medications for their child's disorder, I often refer them to this book.
The book is organized by type of disorder (such as AD/HD, depression or anxiety) and by type of medication. This is good because some people want to know about a specific class of medications, while others want an overview of medication strategies for a particular disorder.
I particularly liked his suggestions on communication between parent and psychiatrist. This should help parents formulate their questions and feel comfortable asking them.
This book is also an excellent overview for medical residents and non-medical mental health professionals.
on December 20, 1998
This book really helped me and my family understand what was going on with our 11 year old son. We were scared to use medications but after reading the book, we felt much better about the decision and our son is doing much better now. I am impressed that the book answers most all of our questions and has been useful for talking with my son's doctor. I definitely recommend this to anyone who has a child who is not doing well in school or has a behavioral problem.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 28, 2002
It can be overwhelming and confusing to try and figure out which drug is best for a particular child with a special condition. This book explores all sorts of psychiatric drugs for conditions ranging from Attention Deficit Disorder to depression, bipolar disorder, etc. Each section is clear and each medication is discussed fully, including possible side effects. I've often felt like doctors haven't fully answered my questions about certain medications but this book helped me to fill in the gaps and feel confident about the choices I made for my child. The best book on the subject I've found so far (and I've looked at quite a few books).
on September 26, 2009
I want every person contemplating the purchase of this book to use the "search inside" tool, and click on the copyright page.
On that page you will see a box that says "Full Disclosure." PLEASE, please read it.
Dr. Wilens receives grant support from five different drug companies. In addition, he is a paid presenter for three different drug companies, and a consultant for six different drug companies.
While the information contained in this book is exhaustive, as a parent of two children with a multitude of medical and psychological issues, I find it difficult to trust his opinions and "straight talk" when I know that he is making tens of thousands of dollars a year from these drug companies.
Would he ever discourage against a particular drug when he is making money from the maker of said drug? I do not know the answer, but that bit of doubt makes me wonder.
Fortunately, in my state, we are able to search online and discover which psychiatrists take money from drug companies, and which do not. Again, as a parent, am I more likely to trust the psychiatric care of my children to the doctor who takes no money from drug companies, or the doctor who received over $135,000.00 last year as a "consultant" to four different companies?
22 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2001
I highly recommend this book to any parent who is contemplating putting their child on psychiatric medications. My child has been struggling on/off for the past three years with a number of issues that finally lead to an evaluation for psychiatric medication. The psychiatrist, while skilled, is unable to provide the support and education necessary to the parent to make this major decision an easier one. This book filled in the gaps. It was extremely readable and provided very helpful information regarding the various disorders and the preferred medications for treatment. While I have not yet decided to place my child on medication, this book will make the decision making process much easier.
on December 16, 2008
Over the last 4 years, this book has become a bible for me. We have struggled to find the right combination of medications for my ADHD, Anxious, Moody, Depressed 9 year old. When you think you have it right, they grow and need new doses or the meds stop having the same results and you have to start over again. Very objective clear information with side effects and risks listed. Don't go to the Psychiatrist or Pediatrician without it!
on January 30, 2010
I have used this book as a critical resource for years, I purchased the third edition soon after it was available. If you have a child who is being placed on medication or if you are even thinking about it, you need this book. It is an indispensable tool for parents of children with any "psychiatric" issues, including ADHD and anxiety and more extreme conditions. Must have book in your arsenal!
on December 1, 2013
I'm not sure this book is for the absolute 'lay'person, its very informative, but more in "doctor speak". I did find it very helpful when one of my foster kids was diagnosed with ADHD and needed more information before I agreed to try many of the medications out there being used for these syndromes. I no longer have that child, but keep the book, and look to it every now and then.
on November 5, 2013
Every parent of kids with psych issues or on psych meds should read this book. I had the first edition and recently updated to the third edition. I had a specific question for the author and he got back to me quickly.