Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Strange the Dreamer Hardcover – March 28, 2017
|New from||Used from|
Books with Buzz
Discover the latest buzz-worthy books, from mysteries and romance to humor and nonfiction. Explore more
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
"Laini Taylor is so damn good and like no other."―Leigh Bardugo, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom
* "Gorgeously written in language simultaneously dark, lush, and enchanting, the book will leave readers eager for the next."―Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "...Characters are carefully, exquisitely crafted, the writing is achingly lovely, and the world is utterly real...This is a thing to be savored."―Booklist, starred review
* "[Strange the Dreamer] has all the rich, evocative imagery and complex world-building typical of Taylor's best work. This outstanding fantasy is a must-purchase for all YA collections."―School Library Journal, starred review
* "The luxurious prose and complex world building invites and rewards slow reading....Here readers will find characters to love and ones to hate and, ultimately, a world to be willingly lost in."―Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books
* [Readers] will dive into Taylor's gorgeous prose and brilliant imagery and relish this story about dreams, love, monsters, gods, ghosts, war, and alchemy. Told from alternating points of view, this is complex but satisfying, a story about cultures meeting and clashing."―VOYA, starred review
"[Laini Taylor] has spun another mesmerizing tale with captivating twists and turns, an array of intriguing characters, strange and beautiful language, and baroque flourishes of the imagination."―Horn Book
"Lovers of intricate worldbuilding and feverish romance will find this enthralling."―Kirkus Reviews
"The language is rich."―School Library Connection
About the Author
Top customer reviews
The brothers told Lazlo Strange he’d come in the wagonload of war orphans. He grows up with nothing except for his dreams about a mythical city called Weep, based on the stories an old monk shares with him. Sent to deliver manuscripts to the library, he stumbles upon a neglected vault of fairytales and he stays. The library-staff apprentices him and the more he reads, the more convinced he is that his destiny is linked to the far-off and forbidden city and then one day, a caravan arrives from Weep—this is Lazlo’s chance—if only he’s brave enough to put himself forward.
But the city of Weep has its own tragedies. For 200 years, its people were slaves to the evil godlike overlords. Fifteen years ago, Eril-Fane, called the Godslayer, lead a revolt and the gods died, but Weep is still haunted. Its people are desperate for cure and Eril-Fane has come in search saviors.
At the same time, Sarai, one of the five god-spawn children, who escaped death, uses her god-gift of invading sleepers’ dreams to make Weep’s population fear the angel citadel where the god-spawn hide. As a child, she enjoyed inflicting nightmares. Now, at seventeen, after spending so much time in others’ minds, she has questions and regrets. She enters Lazlo’s dream and, unlike any other dreamer she’s ever known, he sees her.
The world building is rich and enchanting, but the characters made me fall in love with the story. Life has been unfair to Lazlo, yet he’s kind, gentle and genuinely wants to help others. All the characters are deep, complex and conflicted and their interactions including the love story and those who seek revenge compelled me to keep turning pages.
If you read fantasy to be captivated by a story, this is a book for you.
Just so you know, I borrowed this book from my library’s digital consortium and I loved it so much, I had to buy my own copy.
The story is so unusual and unique. It's not at any point boring or drawn out and I was gobsmacked by the ending!! And just gutted that I need to wait for the sequel.
I enjoyed her style of writing so much, she has filled this book with so much magic and wonder. Standing ovation!
One of my more favorite descriptions from this book. There is so much to love about this story, none that I will tell you for that is what you should find and embrace for yourself. I will say though this is my first time reading this author's work, but I'm with no doubt of her being a literary beauty. Her descriptions of moments, feelings, and drive make this book one that will so easily not be forgotten. I look so forward to see what comes of our journey for the dreamer. May we all have such a heart in life as comparable to our protagonist and never lose sight of what it means to give for nothing less than because others are in need.
Most recent customer reviews
Creative world that draws you in. Cannot wait for the sequel.
I got it from the library, not realizing it was YA.Read more
And yet, two things really bugged me.Read more