Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

74%
26%
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 46 reviews
on May 2, 2016
Garcia Marquez will go down in history as one of the greatest writers of Magic Realism in the 20th century. His short stories are some of my favorites as it does take a while to get to know all the characters of his novels.
"Strange Pilgrims" is no exception. Latinos in exile will always miss their home despite their imperfections. They will always be in a strange land with customs they don't know or understand. And they will always meet strangers who are even more odd than they are.
There are no normal people in this collection of short stories. There are no normal situations. Then again, what IS normal? Just as the protagonists themselves are often confused and bewildered, so will the reader be.
Gabriel Garcia Marquez: you will be missed! Thank God, we have your books to remind us of this writer who understood the outcasts of Latin America. May you never be forgotten!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2015
This is my favorite collection of short stories and one of my favourite books of magical realism. Most people know Gabriel Garcia Marquez for his novels, but he was a master of the short story form. There are unforgettable gems in here like "I Only Came to Use a Phone" about a woman who hitches a ride and ends up in an insane assylum and my favorite story "Light is Like Water" about two boys who beg for a boat in their apartment and end up drowning some boys and flooding the city with light. If you want a good introduction to the genre of magical realism, this is it: beautifully written, strange stories where magic is rooted in reality.
on April 19, 2014
Written by the incomparable master of this genre. I'm a long-time fan but never cease to be touched by the humor and humanity in these beautifully executed works. Strange Pilgrims is a series of short stories that are the perfect introduction to the oeuvre of one of the great Latino-American writers, as these stories are so finely crafted that they beg for more.
on June 30, 2017
One of my favorite Marquez books
Great stories
on April 27, 2010
What an ideal book for my Garcia Marquez collection. Some stories appear to have no point--but that's a North American viewpoint. South Americans: "It is what It Is." My favorite story about children turning on the lights in their apartment and being magically realistic is in this collection. Short story books serve two purposes for me: One, when I can't sleep and need a boost toward dreamland, and Two, the paperback is easy to cart around while I'm in waiting rooms for appointments. The book can also serve as a "test run" for a new reader who wants to sample his style, characters, sentences ending in ways you'd never expect but can appreciate, and plots (some, "sort of").
on January 16, 2016
One of my favorite collections by Marquez! The last time I read these was years ago and I still remember pieces vividly. If you're a fan of Gabo this is a must read.
on February 19, 2016
Beautiful book and in excellent condition. Everything about this order exceeded my expectations.
on December 2, 2015
Marquez is a wonderful writer. His style of magical realism is cleverly written and there are many twists in his short stories.
on September 18, 2012
I have read and re-read these stories, back to back. I had to force myself to stop as there are other books. These are among the best short stories I have ever read. Creating worlds is probably more about what to leave out and Marquez does this with precision, and dare I say, with the hand of god.
on April 23, 2016
It was superb, I enjoyed it from cover to cover.