Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 21, 2003
After years and years of requests to do so, Pocket Books and Paramount were finally able to come up with a way to publish fan fiction which culminated in this, the first of the Strange New Worlds anthologies. Prior to this I�d had only one other experience with fan fiction which I found to be quite enjoyable and I figured this would be the case here and it was. Although I found a few of the stories to have been somewhat tedious, taken as a whole, Strange New Worlds I is an enjoyable Star Trek experience and I look forward to reading the latest editions of them. It is interesting to finally now have read through this anthology and have the advantage of a couple years to see which of the authors within were able to become professional writers based on their experience with Strange New Worlds and of course their talented writing.
Star Trek
A Private Anecdote (Grand Prize winner) by Landon Cary Dalton **** - This is an interesting and very intriguing tale about Captain Pike. I believe it to be somewhat prior to �The Menagerie, Parts I & II�.
The Last Tribble by Keith L. Davis ***** - I found this particular story to be quite well written and very interesting as the author takes us through what happened to Cyrano Jones after �The Trouble with Tribbles.�
The Lights in the Sky (Third Prize winner) by Phaedra M. Weldon *** - I found this story to be somewhat interesting as the author brought closure to what happened to Shahna after �The Gamesters of Triskelion.�
Reflections by Dayton Ward ***** - I found this authors writing to be quite fluid and a perfect fit for Star Trek. It is no wonder at all as to why he continued on from here to being a professional author. The author takes us to when Captain Kirk died and that �split� second of time where he looks up and says �Oh my� and during that time Kirk is taken to the Organians who were originally seen in �Errand of Mercy.�
Star Trek The Next Generation
What Went Through Data�s Mind 0.68 Seconds Before the Satellite Hit by Dylan Otto Krider **** - The author did a wonderful job of capturing Data�s �style� in this particularly intriguing short story.
The Naked Truth by Jerry M. Wolfe ***** - This is a great Barclay story as the author takes us through the nervous engineers first away mission in which he�s in command.
The First by Peg Robinson - ***** - This is a great and very original story as the author brings us into the world of the Enterprise during the Dominion War. A less technologically advanced species, more specifically one of them shows up in the middle of contested space using technology that would benefit the Dominion greatly. Fortunately Picard and the Enterprise reach her prior to the Jem�Hadar.
See Spot Run by Kathy Oltion ***** - This is a very funny story and again this is why this particular author has gone on to author/co author other published Trek with her husband. As the title would suggest, the most unlikely of all heroes is about to have his/her day.
Together Again, for the First Time by Bobbie Benton Hull ***** - This is an absolutely wonderful tale about Guinan and her arranging the first meeting between her and Picard.
Civil Disobedience by Alara Rogers ***** - The author did a wonderful job with this story depicting the trials and tribulations Q went through to get Picard and the Enterprise through the events depicted in �Best of Both Worlds� parts I & II.
Of Cabbages and Kings (Second Prize winner) by Franklin Thatcher ***** - Out of all of the stories within this anthology, for me this was the best of them. The Enterprise suddenly finds itself far away from home minus its crew and must figure out what to do from there based on its programming.
Star Trek Deep Space Nine
Life�s Lessons by Christina F. York ***** - This is another example of one of the authors whose work brought them to the professional ranks of Trek publishing. Nog is back from the Academy and he�s found he has more than a casual interest in Mrs. O�Brien.
Where I Fell Before My Enemy by Vince Bonasso ***** - This is an extremely interesting tale about Captain Sisko finding himself with the exact same Gorn and on the same planet as Kirk as depicted in �Arena.�
Star Trek Voyager
Good Night, Voyager by Patrick Cumby **** - This is an interesting tale about the consequences of the bio neural network failing on the ship.
Ambassador at Large by J.A. Rosales ***** - This is a great tale that brings some closure to what happened to Bailey after the �The Corbomite Maneuver.�
Fiction by jaQ Andrews ***** - This is another outstanding tale about the crew of the Voyager believing their ship was destroyed and that they�ve been living on a planet for the last three years.
I, Voyager by Jackee C. ***** - This is a somewhat intriguing tale about a non corporeal being taking a liking to the crew of Voyager.
Monthuglu by Craig D. B. Patton *** - While I found the style in which this story was told, I found the overall story to be somewhat trying and it seemingly fails.
Because We Can
The Man Who Sold the Sky by John J. Ordover ***** - This is an interesting �short� story by Trek�s Executive Editor. I guess I�m not as completely up on my Trek as I should be because I really could not discern who his primary character was?
The Girl Who Controlled Gene Kelly�s Feet by Paula M. Block ***** - This is an extremely well written short story about a young Lieutenant and a ships psychologist who just aren�t quite satisfied with the mundane.
on May 31, 2007
But I found myself liking the cornier stuff in this anthology. Well, maybe corny carries too many connotations of cliches and sappiness, but my faves all had an element of drama that I didn't notice so much in the other volumes reviewed so far.

Because I'm moving backward in time, certain rules cannot apply, such as banning Tribble stories from my reading. That relieves me from dismissing "The Trouble With Borg Tribbles" as a mere rehash of Bambi-versus-Godzilla. Good thing, because I made it one of my faves, and besides, the ending is not as predictable as one might think. Too bad the Federation doesn't know much about Tribbles...

"The Shoulders of Giants" brings to Trek stories a bit of the irreverence that one finds more easily in that other sci-fi franchise that begins with the word "Star". You know what I'm talking about. The story itself has a lesson for those who seem eager to take a few words from someone powerful and build a philosophy around it.

Yet my fave of all faves in the book is "Who Cries For Prometheus?", which even if the characters weren't designed to evoke sympathy, reminds me that for every Enterprise that wins an epic battle or goes out in a blaze of warp-core breaching glory, there are scores of relative nobodies that pass on with little notice.
on August 19, 2014
Wonderful short stories in the Star Trek world . Good for short flights or waiting rooms
on January 5, 2000
Which is to say, not enough Trek short stories, just full-length novels. It gives more opportunity for a specialized story. Like a Mr. Data story. A Cyrano Jones sequel. What goes through Captain Pike's mind as an invalid. A story where Reg Barclay gets to be a hero rather than just swept along by events. A rite of passage for Cadet Nog. Lots of intriguing stuff like that. These stories may be by amateurs, but there's not a thing amateurish about them. This is the first of three such anthologies, and they're asking for contributors for a fourth. Here's a hint, all of you pro Trek writers. Don't leave it entirely up to us fans to come up with stuff like this. The very first Star Trek print fiction was when the late James Blish did adaptations of the Original Series episodes. In the form of (drum roll) short stories
on May 21, 2002
...a year later: the weather is pretty much the same (currently 45 and less than a week to Memorial Day...blah) and I'm deep into my Star Trek jones waiting for SNW-V. And like "Star Wars: Clones", the franchise has bounced back and rediscovered itself. I'm half-way through the book and almost all the stories have captured my interest and imagination (unlike the very disappointing SNW-IV). I disagreed w/the choice for Grand Prize (a decent story from the Edith Keeler era), but Borg-ified Tribbles, Data confronting Kivas Fajo again, Jake being tested after his dad "disappeared", Seven's conflicts w/Voyager's return to Earth, and Archer's first encounter w/a Vulcan...what's not to like?
Dean Wesley's "state of the anthology" address appeared as an afterword and was much welcomed. Though the cover could use some tweaking (Daedalus but no NX-01?) and the back cover fails to mention that there are Enterprise stories contained therein, these are minor quibbles to a most satisfying summer read, well-worth the wait and stands proud w/the first three volumes.
on December 1, 2016
Disappointed
on May 24, 2014
I like the Star Trek series but these short stories are not all of the same quality. They are written by different authors and you either like the story or you don't
on May 21, 2002
As a true Trek fan, in all shapes and forms, STRANGE NEW WORLDS is one of the few outlets where we get to explore aspects of Gene Roddenberry's Universe that would probably never see light of day otherwise. With each visit to this anthology format series, the characters we have known and loved from the Starship Enterprise to the Voyager, continue to explore new worlds and newer frontiers of the imagination.
What makes the trip such a joy it's fans like you and me that are inspiring these latest adventures.
on April 24, 2015
Excellent read!
on August 12, 2000
hatcher's 2nd place award for this story is impressive, given the thousands of submissions the contest received. As the story chosen as second best, it is no surprise that "Of Cabbages as Kings" is an impressive, original, well-crafted story. Right from the start it is clear that this is an unusual story: it is told entirely from the perspective of the Enterprise - the ship itself, or, specifically, the ship's computer. As the ship's "thoughts" cycle rapidly, at billions of calculations a second, the ship and readers soon realize that the crew has suddenly and unexpectantly vanished. The entire story, in fact, is devoid of any characters other than the Enterprise (unless one counts a holodeck simulation of Captain Picard, which has a relatively brief but important role).
This is particularly challenging subject matter because the Enterprise is not sentient, and can merely run the routines programmed into it. This actually turns out to be quite interesting, as Thatcher addresses a legitimate question: Just what is a Starfleet ship programmed to do if it has no crew? The answers are very plausible and should appeal especially to logicians and computer programmers.
But this story becomes much more than simply a tale of a failsafe algorithm, because in order to extricate itself from its situation, the Enterprise must (as challenged by the Picard simulation) achieve some semblance of sentience. It must go beyond its orignal programming.
Certainly similar themes have been addressed before, especially with Data and Voyager's holodoc. This tale of the Enterprise, however, adds new dimensions to these concepts, while providing a detailed but very readable look deep into the "mind" of a starship, and addressing the interesting question about why Starfleet doesn't design its ships with self-awareness in the first place.