Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 61 reviews
I'm finding that having kids of my own often satisfies a nostalgic yearning for my own childhood. As a Generation X'er, born in the late 60's, I had the luxury of experiencing my elementary school years in the glorious, care-free, child-friendly 70's. In lieu of video games, electronic gadgetry and cable/satellite, we had Wacky Packages, Sears Christmas Wish Books, Koogle Peanut Butter Spread and a choice of three television channels to choose from (actually, five ... if you could adjust the ears for a UHF channel or two). We also had those wonderful Scholastic Book Fairs back then that offered awesome books like STRANGELY ENOUGH.

While appearing somewhat dated (originally published in 1940), STRANGELY ENOUGH reads as good now as it did so many years ago. The book is comprised of a multitude of chapters that each represent a short tale. What makes the book so great is that the stories only average about two-and-a-half pages each ... meaning there are a lot of stories. The sheer number of stories allows a broad range of topics to be covered: chilling tales ("The Whistle" has remained vivid in my memory for almost 40 years), UFOs ("The Cigar in the Sky"), history ("The Disappearing Army") and a myriad of other provocative subjects. The stories are short enough to maintain interest and detailed enough to be thought-provoking ... perfect for kids (and adults). I remember teachers reading some of the stories to us after lunch and the entire class would sit spellbound as we listened to every detail. Those simple readings prompted most of us to urge our parents into buying a copy of STRANGELY ENOUGH (in addition to another book: "Strange but True").

While the stories remained with me for decades, the name of the book that housed them eluded me until recently. Now, I am sharing the same creepy, adventurous and thought-provoking stories to my children and notice the book's spell-binding quality hasn't dissipated after so many years. My re-discovery of STRANGELY ENOUGH is like finding some lost treasure from my childhood. Now ... if I could only stumble upon a copy of an old Dynamite magazine ...
on April 13, 2017
I love this cool, funky little book. I remember it well from my school days, and many of the stories stuck with me throughout the past 50 years. This is a perfect gift for the grandkids. They will not forget it. Highly recommended.
on May 30, 2011
So many reviews here with "I remember reading this...!"! Yeah, me too. I think the cover was different, a weird rocky landscape I think, with a blobby eye or flying saucer floating...Anyway, yeah, I think it's the first story about the painting of the castle with one lit window, that one sticks with me. Another one I don't quite remember, something to do with doves and a snowball bush (?) and a woman who gets shot, and the next time the white dove shows up it has a huge red spot on its breast! What I do remember is that that one scared the he-- out of me! Yeah, I think I need a copy now!

!UPDATE!

Yes, I sent off and got it. Lots and lots of some very creepy stories, and some just bizarre. I believe these originally appeared as newspaper columns, thus their short, largely standardized length. Oh, and they're all here! This is the first place I heard the story of "Lavender," aka "The Vanishing Hitchhiker," actually two slight variations. Oh yes, the story of the painting with the one lit window, that does lead off, and it does still strike me deep! Maybe it's the Scottish connection ;- ) Some of the stories are relatively famous, such as the New Hampshireman who tried to cheat the Devil (unlike another one, he did NOT have Dan'l Webster as counsel . . . )I intend to do a bit of research on Mr Colby, he seems to be a New Englander, as am I, and a lot of the stories are ancient New England folk tales or connected to New England.

Unfortunately, a lot of them seem to be little more than folklore or urban legend ("Lavender"), and one wishes for some measure of journalistic credibility -- more than "A lady on vacation in Texas," etc. Still, lots of fun even if they are "just" stories. The simple, concise, matter- of - fact prose adds more to the spookiness of them than H.P. Lovecraft's Thesaurus could ever do.

Very highly recommended, for ANY age. This isn't "just" a kid's book by any means.
on June 8, 2014
This is one of the best books of its type. Most of the stories in this book are only one or two pages long, but each is very carefully written and has lots of atmosphere. If you like spooky "true" accounts of things that "might have" happened--and don't require too much fact verification to enjoy such stories--then this is the perfect book to always have lying around somewhere. "And who shall say they never happened?" writes the author in the introduction. I understand his point. The book is not in the business of "proving" that any of these tales are true (although many of them may very well be). This is really a collection of fast-reading spooky thrill stories. In that capacity it succeeds admirably. Recommended for banishing boredom any old time.
on September 7, 2014
on December 29, 2015
Used to read this book when I was a child at my grandmother's house out in the country. Hers had a different cover, but for some reason that particular one was way too much on Amazon, so I took the cheap way out. Anyway, I re-read this little book and remembered every story! If I try really hard I can see myself back at the old house out in the sticks... scaring myself half to death.
on October 31, 2016
Strangely Enough, this book never fails to satisfy. Although the stories are presented in a brief and un-detailed manner, they are great fire side tales that run from the bizarre to the slightly chilling. Recommended for all ages.
on September 21, 2013
Boy, I remember this book (actually gave me nightmares!), back when I was in elementary school. We had to sell books to raise money and I remember buying this one. Very short stories but to a little kid, it stirred the imagination! I just had to buy this as a collector's item.
on November 8, 2012
I read this book over and over when I was a child. Loved the pen and ink artwork. Colby was a wonderful writer who had a knack to lead you into vivid imagery of his stories. I'd recommend this book to everyone. Glad I was able to find another copy here on Amazon. Here 50 years later, I can enjoy it again.
on September 22, 2010
A friend of mine gave me a hard copy of this book when i was about 13 yrs. old. and got lost
some where in my many moves.
I was very pleased to be able to find a copy.
It is a great selection of short stories about the supernatural,lost treasure, pirates & desperadoes
mysterious & unusual happenings and ghost stories.
It will give you many hours of great reading.