Lyft Vehicles Review HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on December 15, 2013
I use this as a textbook in an undergraduate and graduate course on strategic planning for nonprofit. There are MANY good strategic planning books to choose from. I use this because it has a CD with worksheets in the back that I find very helpful in providing a checklist, set of minimum considerations and as a brainstorming tool.

For someone wanting to have a general sense of an approach to strategic planning this book is useful. Some critiques of this book:
* It's challenging for small scale nonprofits to see themselves doing this. We need to write a practical book for smaller nonprofits that is written from a consultants point of view and that considers scalability.
* It reads more like a strategic planning approach, particularly Chapter 5, for for-profit large corporations. From a consultants viewpoint (I spent 28 years consulting) - this reads like an excerpt from a textbook with little consideration for organization size, purpose, or analysis considerations. This section misses the practical way data collected is analyzed, considered, and then translated into strategies. Additionally there are much simpler prioritization methods that lead to organizational buy in and clarity of future direction and why a future direction was chosen. This chapter missed the mark.
* Implementation is positioned as part of a the strategic planning effort. I understand this rationale, however, my experience indicates that while there is a connection, it is prudent to separate implementation from planning. Practically speaking - implementation may occur later in the planning horizon, things may change, personnel may change - why spend the time up front planning implementation? Plus, the intersection of the strategic plan and implementation planning within a continuous improvement framework suggests a plan implementation as you go approach because you're adjusting, tweaking, and refining as you go.

While it seems I offer more critiques than positive about this book - I have successfully used it within classes for 4+ years where I drew upon my 28 years doing strategic planning, I could facilitate around some of the text that I thought didn't meet real world experience and practicality.
VINE VOICEon October 5, 2012
I bought this book because my work and my faith community were both in need of strategic plans. While I had lead them before, I had no real organizational format to guide the process. This book was a wonderful resource in that area. It goes step by step to describe the process globally, but also breaks down each section to ensure that nothing is missed. Perhaps the greatest features are the timeline of the plan and the workbook at the end. We saved hours by not "recreating the wheel" since we used the form templates in this book. It is practical, helpful and detailed enough to ensure that your organization will really benefit from its use. I look forward to my copy becoming worn out from extensive use.
on August 31, 2012
This book is a must for any mission-driven organization considering a strategic planning project. Not only does this book guide you through the steps of strategic planning (articulating mission, vision, and values; assessing current reality; establishing priorities; writing the plan), but it also helps you determine your organization's readiness for undertaking strategic planning as well as helping you implement the plan, evaluate the planning process, and monitor ongoing progress. The book comes with a CD-ROM that includes twenty different worksheets to guide you through the process. It is well worth the investment!
on May 31, 2017
I receive the book Blaming the victim last week on the promise date that was listed when I ordered it thank you. I appreciated.
M.A.
on April 3, 2017
Good book for those leading non profit organizations !
on April 30, 2013
I was looking for a guide for a small nonprofit (like ours). Most of the examples in this book were large organizations.

If I were to wade through all their suggested steps, I would probably get what I was looking for. But being small, I already had too much on my plate that was pressing, like serving all our victims and advocating for them.
on December 28, 2008
I consult to starting, small, and 'stuck' nonprofits. This book is a great starting place for any of those classifications. It is waaay over-written in places - lots and lots of exercises and repetition of ideas. But the concepts are right and solid, and built into a framework that an organization can tackle on their own... without a high paid consultant like me!
on December 8, 2015
Great!
on April 25, 2013
I use this book for both workshops and to guide the SP process as a facilitator. It is a good flow and a step by step approach. However, I have found that the approach itself is too restrictive or detailed for some SP projects so I modified the apporach to meet the needs of my clients. But all in all I do recommend this book highly.
on June 18, 2015
This book is very useful but there is a new version in 2015 so it's not worth it to buy the old version.