Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Strawberry Shortcake - Play Day Surprise
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

on April 17, 2005
As a parent, I welcome any Strawberry Shortcake DVD into my home because I know that my girls will not only be entertained but get a lesson or two as well. And the songs are so catchy we bought the SSC Seaberry Beach Party Music CD to jam to in the car!

In Play Day Surprise, SSC is looking through her "remembering book" and tells two tales about being a good sport. In the first story, Angel Cake has to have everything perfect. She can bake a mean cake, but she stinks at the games Round and Round Red Robin and Berry Ball. SSC tries to encourage her by saying, "That's what's great about games. You don't have to be perfect. You just have to have fun." I've said as much to my own 5-year-old and 3-year-old daughters who compete with each other constantly. If they don't listen to me, maybe they get the message from Strawberry (smile!).

Cheating isn't fair is the theme of the second story. Peppermint Fizz blames her failed garden on bad dirt and plots to win the obviously better garden of SSC. In the Very Nearly Once a Yearly Strawberryland Games, PF blatantly cheats at the Skateboard Race, Butterscotch Hopscotch, Hike `n Trike `n Bike Race, Tip-Top Top of the Tree Climbing, and Toddler Waddling contests. This ungracious winner and poor sport learns that it's not all about winning but about "giving it your all".

Songs on this DVD:

"Be a Good Sport"

"Waitin' For the Fun to Start"

"Fun for Fun's Sake"

"Giving It Your All"

"Ev'ryone Loves Berry Ball" - as a separate music video

Special Features:

Introduces Berry Special Friends Peppermint Fizz, Cola Chameleon (PF's pet), Shoofly Frog (Huckleberry Pie's pet), Honey Pie

Berry Special Places: virtual tour of Huckleberry Briar
on April 6, 2005
I enjoyed this DVD as much as the other SS DVD's, especially because we get to meet Peppermint Fizz and her pet lizard Cola Chameleon, potential villains.

But in this DVD, Angel Cake becomes a bad sport because she isn't playing the games as well as the other kids so she throws a few temper tantrums and acts like a diva. That was a tad annoying to me. Other than that, I would have given it 5 stars.
on August 22, 2009
This is a good video except for one unforseen problem. Both stories revolve around characters who are behaving very badly in their whole attitudes. Eventually the characters learn their lessons but they have a lot of temper tantrums in the mean time. Unfortunately these bad tempered mouthy little girls are the ones my daughter has decided to model and now when she's mad she recites these tantrums back at me word for word. So we don't watch these anymore. She does like them though. I'm sorry to have had to take them away. My daughter is 3.
on August 21, 2006
My sister LOVED Strawberry Shortcake as a child, although I was too old for it then. Now she buys the dolls and DVDs for my girls, ages 2 and 4. I have watched every DVD alone before showing them to my kids - I don't want them exposed to anything I find objectionable. There are many Disney movies that I won't allow the kids to watch! This video, while showing a character being petty and mean, teaches a valuable lesson about getting along and being a good sport. My preschooler experienced a similar situation at preschool after watching this DVD, and said she knew just how to handle it because she'd seen Strawberry and her friends deal with someone who wasn't being nice. While I hope that the lessons we teach her at home had something to do with her reaction, I know that favorite characters can also have an influence on kids' behavior.

One parent mentioned the use of the word "hate" as objectionable. I do not allow my kids to use that word, but they hear it from others and even read it in high-quality classic children's tales. For them to see a problem resolved and to see other children stepping up to help solve a problem is a good thing. Perhaps we need to watch the entire show to see if the whole picture is one we want our kids to see, not just one part taken out of context. When my husband caught the scene mentioned, where the word "hate" was used, he called me in to the room and asked me if I knew what the kids were watching. I encouraged him to sit and watch with the kids, talk to them about what they were seeing, and watch the entire show to see how it was resolved. He ended up agreeing with me that the message was clear and the "problem" character reformed.
on July 7, 2005
This video is one the Best from the new SSC. Not only does it teach valuable lessons, but it is also extremely funny! If you love Peppermint Fizz, then you will love this video!
on November 28, 2012
Very cute movie, good story and morals. My 2.75 yr. old loves this era of Strawberry Shortcake, as do I. It is tolerable for the parents to watch, not like some kids movies.
on March 8, 2007
The product was great and They love it. Really it's great for the younger to the much older kids as my older kids love watching it with the younger kids.
on December 31, 2011
This was a great addition to my daughters movie collection. She loves anything dealing with strawberry shortcake and she watches them all the time!!
on November 6, 2009
I loved watching Strawberry Shortcake again. She is a little different, but close enough. My daughter loved her and now my grand daughter does too.
on March 21, 2013
My 3 year old granddaughter has discovered Strawberry Shortcake. She enjoys them now as much as her mother did some thirty years ago!