Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Street Kid: One Child's Desperate Fight for Survival
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 17, 2008
This book wakes you up to the realities of the world we live in. It's hard to fathom that any child could be this much abused and come out of it being a strong person helping other people in the same situation as an adult now. It reminded me so much of Dave Pelzer's story (The Lost Boy) and I was so touched by Judy's story.

It's a very sad and hard story to read, but it is also so uplifting to know that these children CAN grow up to be wonderful people that put their lives out there to help other children. Judy Westwater is one of those remarkable people with many accomplisments, a true story to show that anyone can beat any obstacles if they put their minds to it. Judy came very close to dying but her human spirit fought back and suceeded!!
on March 18, 2009
I read this book over the course of two days. I had to put it down a few times because it felt like someone was ripping my heart out. As someone with a small child, it is almost impossible to fathom a child being treated to this degree. I've read these types of books before but this one was before the worst in terms of abuse. It's sickening and a eye opener.
on December 30, 2015
Wow! This story was incredible and very well written. This poor little girl was basically unloved and unwanted by either of her parents but was used as a pawn by her cruel and narcissistic father throughout her childhood. But she had a very strong will to survive, and she did! There were alot of downs -- not so many ups in her life. I've read alot of similar stories of others who have survived horrible childhoods but this one was exceptional. I highly recommend this book and her follow-up book "Street Kid Fights On". I just finished both of them in 2-3 days and they were both excellent!
on December 25, 2014
How could these things ever happen to a child who is supposedly loved by her family well I had to read this as it broke my heart to take in a little girl could live thro a terrible world of sadness people who have children should adore them and find out what there needs are and love them very much I felt so so sorry for this little mite to be beaten and punched when i would love to do is show how much you love them even if you cannot afford a lot just show love so pleased to hear how this girl had as terrible fight for survival but good girl she showed them all in the end what a wonderful caring person she really is good luck
on October 27, 2015
"I realized that I had to protect the 'Inside Me', look after the person I was on the inside,no matter how hard they beat me. I would not cry." Young Judy decided at age 7 or 8. Her childhood from her earliest years was all about enduring through a never ending storm in hopes of a better tomorrow. Whether left alone with her sisters in a cold house while her mother chased men as a toddler or beaten senseless by her father and stepmother on a daily basis in the years that followed or left to fend for herself in a foreign country, Judy managed to protect that profoundly lonely and sad 'Inside Me'. Even more so than what she suffered at the hands of her crazed father and malicious mother, I found her mother's indifference right from the start to be the most appalling and heartbreaking thing of all. The hope Judy nurses all throughout her ordeal was contingent on returning to what she assumed was the Loving welcoming arms of her mother and beloved older sisters. You could have picked my jaw up off the ground when upon reaching the long awaited reunion,it was revealed that much the same way she had been Cinderella the Lackey to her father&stepmother during childhood, she was shunned like the retarded ugly stepchild by them! You would have thought, if having not already read the rest of the book,that she had asked to be taken away and subsequently abducted to South Africa by the cold shoulder she was given. I was very much bewildered by this and annoyed that the story abruptly cut off shortly after this without showing how she coped with such rejection. Very sad story.
on August 31, 2010
This is by far the worst case of child abuse I have ever read or heard about, and I have read many. I had to put the book down a few times to grasp what I was reading. I realize that these things tend to repeat themselves in families. Everyone from the parents to the nuns to the teachers, not to mention the rapists that committed such heinous acts of abuse upon this young child. It makes me angry. I am just glad that Judy survived although she'll always have the memories ... it was inspiring for me and helps me to keep my own childhood in perspective. Sharing such stories help others to pay more attention to what is going on with their own children and to realize that your problems are not as bad as others.
on March 22, 2012
This book is so intense. Everything about it teaches ,children and adults. I love it. A child's desperate chance of survival. Many things happen to this poor little kid. I haven't read this book in forever, but I would be glad to read it 500 more times. This book will never get old. "Street Kid" is a problem that makes you want to find a soultion.

Everything about this book gives me chills. I pitty the children that go through these things, everyday.
on August 1, 2006
This book is an amazing story- my father in law read it, my sister in law read it, and I have read it all in the space of 1 week! Which proves it is VERY hard to put down. An amazing story of a girl with a dreadful family, yet she still manages to emerge from this with the goal to make the world a better place. Recommended and inspiring reading. You won't be disappointed.
on May 4, 2010
If your kids have everything and still are not satisfied have them read Judys story. If they have a loving family and need for nothing have never been abused tell them how well off they are. Have them read her books.
on December 24, 2012
Difficult read. When I got to the end, I felt like I may have been conned. Un-relenting abuse, then ran away to join the circus, and lived happily ever after? Not too sure, but if it gets attention to help kids of abuse today, so be it.