Customer reviews

on November 22, 2016
I really enjoyed this read. I struggle daily with perfectionist tendencies that threaten my productivity and happiness. There are several client stories in the book. One was something personal I was going through. He is a gifted story teller. Reminds me of Irvin Yalom. If you want to be your best self possible, I highly recommend adding the tools in this book to your arsenal.
One person found this helpful
on September 26, 2016
Starting out reading this book showed me the author is definitely knowledgeable in CBT. I plan to use this book in my counseling practices working with offenders.
2 people found this helpful
on November 11, 2016
I love the quizzes to get an understanding of myself and the practical tips on what I can do to reduce my stress and increase empathy.
One person found this helpful
on June 13, 2018
You would have had to be living under a rock to find any new information in this book.
on May 23, 2016
Empathy is in. It’s the emotional intelligence social IQ superpower. It requires imagination. It invokes intuition. We empathize by imagining being the other person, and drawing from within our understanding. It is the prime activity of the Intuitive Heart, and so I can’t but bring to your attention a new book on the subject—very scientific and inspirational, at the same time.
The Stress Solution: Using Empathy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to Reduce Anxiety and Develop Resilience, by Arthur P. Ciaramicoli, Ed.D., Ph.D. builds on his previous, fantastic book, The Power of Empathy: A Practical Guide to Creating Intimacy, Self-understanding, and Lasting Love in Your Life.
Here are some things I really like about this book:
First, I like how he defines empathy, in a new and different way, besides the usual way, which he also includes. Here’s his novel definition: “Seeing things as the really are.” I like that definition because it is an admission that we connect with the real world from within—empathy arises from within and is an intuitive response. We become one with what we empathize with, which is one goal of spiritual awareness.
Second, I like how he emphasizes being empathic with oneself. I recall an important time in my life when I kept complaining, “no one listens to me!” Finally, I got the message, “It is ME who is not listening to me!” So I began a program of giving myself big doses of my imitation of Carl Rogers. For every thought that appeared, I’d respond with reflective listening. Pretty cool! It really helped.
Third, I’m a big fan of using thought stopping, or story switching, to get myself out of a bad mood. I can catch myself thinking thoughts that bring me down. I now can recognize them more quickly and shift my focus to something more positive. If the negative thoughts won’t go away, I pull out my self-empathy routine to find out what’s going on. A whine is a pain that is not heard and keeps asking for an ear.
Fourth, I really like his conception of “performance addiction.” Similar to Type A mentality—that’s me!—and I find that when I feel stressed, I am probably trying to get myself to do something I don’t really feel like doing. Depression is my meat tenderizer and helps me get back on the path of, “chill out,” “loosen up a bit, will you?” and “go for a walk!”
The author covers all the bases. It’s worth reading, assuming you’ve got the time to spend with yourself that way.
5 people found this helpful
on May 13, 2016
What if you could powerfully deal with stress and eliminate many harmful effects? Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli provides life-changing insights and methods in his new, sensational book, The Stress Solution: Using Empathy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to Reduce Anxiety and Develop Resilience.

In this book, Dr. Ciaramicoli introduces Empathic CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy). He notes that empathy is the capacity to understand and respond to the unique experience of another person. CBT works to solve current problems and change unhelpful thinking and behavior.

On page xv, Dr. Ciaramicoli points out: “When we give and receive empathy, transformation occurs. An empathic interaction produces calming brain chemicals that create a sense of security and positive feelings. These brain changes make us happier and more resilient.”

Much of the power of this book is in the stories that Dr. Ciaramicoli tells with care and skill. We feel the power of the life-changing insights.

On page 124, Dr. Ciaramicoli coaches us that often it helps to connect with people who give us honest feedback and then we discover “our biased theories.” He continues, “When you rediscover the truth, you will likely be more focused on what is right about you and stop the constant search to find out what is wrong with you. Your stress and anxiety will lessen.”

In Chapter 11, starting on page 127, Dr. Ciaramicoli guides us in the ways of “Empathy, Self-Care and Well-Being.”

The power of this book is in how Dr. Ciaramicoli tells the truth. He does not hold back. Still, the book has such a warm and kind tone. On page 171, he shares: “This is how empathy works. As defenses fade and new possibilities enliven our spirits, we realize that our health and survival depend on our ability to accurately understand and sensitively respond to each other. Empathy creates a foundation of trust that engages our brain chemistry, calms our soul, and puts us in a position to listen. We can then open up and take in what we need to hear in order to rewrite our story, correct distorted thinking, and at last become who we are destined to be.”

For all of us leaders—whether of ourselves, our family or at work, it’s vital that we make the most important into The Most Important. As an Executive Coach and Spoken Word Strategist, my job is to help executives, business owners and others reach and at times exceed their potential for higher levels of success and even happiness. This gives me a real appreciation for what Dr. Ciaramicoli’s book accomplishes.

Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli’s book The Stress Solution is evidently designed to empower you to be stress-skilled, resilient and even happier. Make reading this book a priority. You’ll benefit so much from such a good decision and action.
3 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I've never seen such a creative, and important solution to stress before!

Full disclosure: I recently interviewed Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli for our Inspire Nation Show.

I think bringing empathy into CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) is brilliant; it helps those in need to feel better, and puts them in a position to help others. I love this book. I love the approach, and I think it's just what the world needs.

I've read so many stress books lately, but this one stands out from the crowd. It doesn't just help you overcome stress but become a better person at the same time!
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
Author Arthur P. Ciaramicoli, EdD, PhD.
Finally, a book that explains what stress actually is, what to look out for health-wise, how to actually do something about it and how to overcome the habit of accumulating stress. This book is written clearly and offers valuable and helpful advice, but I most like that it thoroughly describes stress and all the chaos it causes with us.
Author Arthur P. Ciaramicoli, EdD, PhD. combines the tools of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) along with the use of empathy to help readers be gentler with ourselves, thereby relieving the stress with which most experience. The book also tells readers how they can help others overcome feelings of stress not as a professional, but just by being a caring and emphatic listener.
Chapter three, Empathic Listening, explains how important it is to, “. . . listen to another’s soul . . ..” An important part of this exercise is, “Learning to Hear, Not Fix.” I know how valuable it is to find someone who is patient enough and kind enough to listen with empathy and caring.
Chapter 7, CBT in Action: Combating Negative Self-Talk and Ending the Cycle of Stress, I found as an especially valuable chapter. I am guilty of hammering myself with endless negative self-talk and know it is harmful, but I didn’t realize how much it really does affect us.
Questions, sometimes self-evaluation tests, exercises, explanations and CBT steps readers can take to help themselves are offered at the end of chapters.
Truly a valuable and beneficial book about a topic most of us struggle to control; certainly a book worth reading.
3 people found this helpful
on August 14, 2017
I am surprised there aren't more positive reviews for this book. I found this book to be extremely valuable. Working in the healthcare field (and having a tendency to be an anxious person), this approach of combining CBT and empathy really spoke to me.

I found it on a recommended reading list and rented it from the library.