- File Size: 1258 KB
- Print Length: 150 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press (June 1, 2014)
- Publication Date: June 1, 2014
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00KQ35ZW4
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Not Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#1,600,175 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #692 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Science Fiction > Aliens
- #722 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Action & Adventure > Superheroes
- #1206 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Action & Adventure > Science Fiction
|Print List Price:||$14.99|
Save $10.00 (67%)
Strings Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 150 pages||
Matchbook Price: $1.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
Why did I give it one star? Simple - it wanders all over the place with no real build-up or payoff, and ultimately comes to a very unsatisfying conclusion. The protagonists feel pointless to the story, and the antagonists are evil one minute and ambivalent the next. Also, it takes the "adults are useless" to an absurd extreme; they seem willfully ignorant of the terrible space-time disruptions going on all around them. Then, of course, the book turns right around and portrays a world where the adults have a system in place to deal with moving buildings (children get picked up by ANY bus and dropped off at ANY school, and there are rooms designated to take in these strangers and teach them something...so why is that?)
Adding insult to injury, the book has a huge pile of strange things going on that all raise interesting questions, but those questions never get answered. Why do characters see things differently? Reasons. Why can some characters survive higher dimensions and others not? Reasons! Why give a character a string if they are just going to lose it and never use it again? REASONS! The more I review this book, the madder it makes me. I feel like I've been buttonholed by a drunk at a party and have listened politely to their ramblings for hours and hours only to discover there was no point. Look, as an ADD sufferer, I understand what it's like to tell long meandering stories that add and remove things according to stream-of-consciousness and ultimately go nowhere - the difference is, I REREAD THAT CRAP BEFORE I PUBLISH IT, and I CUT OUT THE BITS THAT WANDER OFF! Steer clear unless you have a burning hatred of yourself and a pressing need to waste time and brain cells.
Something that really stood out to me was when his mother taught him to hold photographs by the edges. My grandmother always stressed that to me!
This novel is a bit confusing but it seems to add to the character of the tale. The world is a weird place, why wouldn't the book also be? The book was a bit reminiscent of Roald Dahl. "Strings" is probably best enjoyed by middle school grade readers but could be enjoyed by readers of all ages.
I received a courtesy copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
The author G. Miki Hayden has also written conventional fiction (which is great) and even a book on US punctuation.
I was given a complimentary copy of Strings by G. Miki Hayden in exchange for my honest review.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Action & Adventure
- Books > Children's Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Action & Adventure > Superheroes
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Science Fiction > Action & Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Science Fiction > Aliens