Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
Stuck in the 60's [VHS]
In memory of the thousands of grapes that have no doubt met their ends beneath Gallagher's patented Sledge-O-Matic, let's say this about his Stuck in the 60's stand-up performance from 1983: it's not the best of the bunch.
Grapes... bunch... get it? A little groan-worthy, no? Sadly, the hour-long Stuck offers little but this kind of thing, in which Gallagher riffs on how darn weird American idioms are. While this territory does offer a few benign chuckles ("Bacon is not a career," he muses on the term hog futures), most of the material is just a little too schoolyard; the term drive-through hamburgers gets nothing more than an uninspired "Ick!"
Nor is the whole '60s shtick that inspired, either. Gallagher often seems inexplicably desperate to link every joke back to the whole the-'80s-aren't-as-free-or-as-fun-as-the-'60s theme he's imposed on himself. One wishes the ghost of comedy future in the shape of Dennis Miller would visit Gallagher on stage and tell him to just go with it, tangents be damned.
A final note to died-in-the-wool melon-smashing aficionados: the balding one wields his hammer for only a minute at monologue's end, so turn to other tapes to really see the fruit fly. --Bob Michaels
Top customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Arts & Entertainment
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Music Videos & Concerts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Special Interests
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials