50 Studies Every Doctor Should Know
(www.50studies.com) presents concise summaries and analysis of 50 studies that have shaped the practice of medicine. Covering a wide array of topics – from dieting to cardiovascular disease, insomnia to obstetrics – this is a must-read for health care professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about the data behind clinical practice.
Each chapter is an easy-to-read summary of a high impact medical study, virtually all of which have been reviewed for accuracy by one of the original study authors! Examples include:
• The Women’s Health Initiative, which evaluated post-menopausal hormone therapy Praise for 50 Studies Every Doctor Should Know:
• The ACST Trial, which examined carotid endarterectomy for the treatment of asymptomatic carotid stenosis
• The MTA trial, which compared medications vs. behavioral treatment in children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
"With thousands of research papers published each year, it is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. Dr. Hochman's book is a big help. He expertly and clearly summarized the top 50 studies that influenced medicine. These summaries are balanced, scholarly and helpful. A must read."
- Dr. Peter J. Pronovost, Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and an elected member of the Institute of Medicine
"A perfect introduction to the understanding of valuable lessons learned from clinical trials."
-Debra S. Echt, MD, independent health care consultant and co-founder of EBR Systems, Inc.
"Dr. Hochman's book provides an excellent foundation for emerging medical professionals. The studies included in this book are proving to be durable and definitive works in health care."
- C. Patrick Chaulk, MD, MPH, Assistant Commissioner for HIV/STD services, Baltimore City Health Department
"The summary [of our study] was perceptive and accurate. I hope this and the other studies included in this work are inspirational to a new generation of clinical investigators."
-Jeremy Fairbank, Professor of Spine Surgery, University of Oxford
"We need a similar book for the most important recent studies in Neurology."
-Dr. Werner Hacke, Professor and Chair, Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Germany