Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

We camp in our RV out in the wilderness quite a bit. It’s windy out there, so we need to drive stakes into the ground to hold down things like our portable trash/recycle cans and our big woven door mat. A couple of years ago we started using heavy rocks in the bottom of our collapsible trash cans, but there aren’t always good usable rocks nearby. A few months ago I got the idea to bring my own sand backs instead. I was walking by a film production and noticed these sand bags with handles and decided to give them a try. Luckily I read the reviews first and saw all the recommendations to use plastic bags inside.

My first thought was to pick up some gallon Ziploc bags and a big sack of sand from the local home improvement store, but then it occurred to me that we’d be surrounded by various types of dirt and sand at our next camp, so why buy sand? On our recent New Year camping trip, I took a bunch of these sand bags and a box of Ziploc bags along with my shovel to a nearby sandy wash. It took about ten minutes to fill them all up and they turned out perfectly! I was still kind of skeptical about using the Ziploc bags as liners, since these sand bags are kind of rubberized and would probably contain the sand just fine. But it turned out to be the wettest trip we’ve ever taken (probably three inches in just one storm). These bags would have been absolutely destroyed by that much rain.

Last weekend we camped again and the bags had held up just fine. Even though they had been completely soaked, the bags were perfectly dry without even any stanky odor and the sand was all intact inside.

I work for an entertainment company and I noticed someone had left some sand bags like these laying out on the lot for a couple of months. Whether it was from neglect or someone ran over them, a couple of them had torn open so I could see what was inside. Even our pro staff had used plastic bags inside. I was surprised to see that they had used dirt with so much aggregate though (more like the sand/gravel mix you’d add to cement to make concrete). I think the aggregate was so sharp that it caused the bags to wear out sooner than they should. I would make sure to only fill these with sand, not gravel.
on December 7, 2017
I previously bought this type of zippered bag and originally filled them with sand. Soon my car looked like I had been too the beach. The sand actually leaked from small hole in a corner... but to be fair sand is really fine.

So I emptied them and inserted doubled gallon ziplocks and filling the inner ziplock and then sealing both bags (squeeze the air out) I was able to fill each side with 10lbs of sand to get a nice 20lb bag. I have had a set for a year and they hold up just fine. So I bought more. I use them in studio and on location.

I have also purchased mathews bags, but you need to sew those up and I'm not sure how they would prevent leaking, so I went back to this type of bag.
on March 10, 2016
I bought these sandbags to help weigh down a few Dolica tripods with a slider on them, as well as a couple light stands.
These are... alright. They're hefty, durable, and have an awesome dual-zipper system to them that prevents sand from leaking out. Perfect!

BUT the super wide handle for these makes it difficult to actually hang these from the hooks on the bottom of my tripods. Weird.

Also, the double-zipper format and small openings made it fairly difficult to actually fully fill them up with sand effectively.

They're getting the job done for now, though.
on October 23, 2013
These cost something under $5 each. I can't see how they it. They are exactly as described, double zipper, the stripes are sewn onto the black fabric. I put the sand inside a zip lock just to have one more layer of leak prevention.
on July 13, 2017
Just started out in photography and needed a way to keep those top-heavy light stands from toppling over. To fill these I got a 30lb bag of pea gravel (~8$)from the local big orange box and then baked it in waves on and old cookie sheet to get rid of the moisture in it before loading these up. Each one holds a good 5 cups of pea gravel per side which gives it enough heft without being too bulky with about 5 cups left over from the bag. I wanted to avoid using sand since - even with the dual zipper closure - it felt like it might slowly work out a little over time.
on July 22, 2017
These are fantastic! Four stars only because they are so small. You must use something really heavy in them to make them the most effective. Otherwise, they are sturdy and look fantastic. I don't like ugly sandbags, so I like these sandbags that look sharp while they stabilize my equipment on a video or photo shoot. The look nice and appear sturdy enough to last well.
on May 30, 2014
I use these both in and out of my studio, mostly as anchors for my larger umbrella stands. I have a couple of 5 foot diameter umbrellas (monsters!) that are VERY easily blown over in the lightest of breezes. When outdoors, I just chuck 2 of these bags onto each light stand base and the umbrellas stay right where I put them, even in a pretty good breeze.

Love these bags!
Cheap insurance against stands tipping over. These bags have a double zippered pocket on each side of the bag and a web carry strap. Each side will hold 5-7 pounds of sand or more. Well made and heavy-duty materials. should last for a long, long time. Love the blue/black stripe. They blend into the stands yet are easy to spot when it comes time to pack up.
on June 20, 2015
For the price, I'm satisfied. The zippers seem a little suspect, but the fact that there are two for each compartment, one zipper serving as a backup, gives me more confidence. Pretty much a two man job pouring sand into the openings that want to return to their natural shape: CLOSED, but then I had a second set of hands. These are just heavy enough not to be cumbersome. After I got them, I ordered some large carabiner and S-biner clips to make it easier to attach to tripod and an aluminum easel that I use outdoors to photograph art.
on October 4, 2017
I sent these sand bags to my girlfriend in the Philippines so that she could use them as ankle weights and grow her butt. THEY WORKED!! She was able to make a comfortable pair of ankle wights with two of the bags by adding 5 pounds of sand in each one. Real ankle weights are just too expensive to ship.