Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 110 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 118 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 6, 2016
I bought the Studiohut Hot Shoe Three Axis Double Bubble Level for use on my Canon DSLR as well as my Canon Flim Camera while studying photography in college. This tiny level was a great tool for making sure that my tripod was level, minimizing any post-production work that would need to be done in the lab or on Photoshop. The little level slides straight into the Hot Shoe (where a secondary flash would fit). With film and nighttime photography on my DSLR, my tripod was an essential piece of equipment. The Studiohut Hot Shoe Three Axis Double Bubble Level helped to make sure that everything was level and in place before taking my photo, thus making sure my photo would be straight when shot. For $8, this is a great tool for any photographer working with a tripod, especially for the purposes of architectural photography.

My opinion is 100% my own - good or bad. I hope you found this review helpful. If so, I'd appreciate you clicking the "helpful" button!
on December 25, 2013
Although many cameras have an electronic digital level, this level which attaches to the camera hot shoe is still quite useful. I find it faster to use this level when setting up quickly and then using the digital level to fine-tune things. Or use this level to verify the digital one is still working.

In addition to working in a hot shoe, this level can be used on a tripod head with a removable quick release plate if the area under the plate is flat. Or it can be used on the plate itself if the mounting screw is not too high. Or on a point and shoot camera without a hot shoe if the flat area on top is wide enough.

Alternatives to this level include post levels available in lumber departments, as these can be used on the tripod center column to verify setup is correct. Circular surface levels are also alternatives. However this level is a bit more convenient. It is also inexpensive for a dedicated photo accessory. And it's quite compact.

But this belies the drawback: compactness means the levels themselves are not as long as a typical level as used in the carpentry trade. So these levels are not as sensitive to tilt.

Four stars given all considerations: accuracy, price, usefulness. The faster one has to set up a camera and tripod, the more useful this gadget is.
on January 5, 2012
I had high hopes for this 3-way level replacing the 2-way level that I currently use and have to change orientation from horizontal to vertical. However, this level isn't even close to being accurate. In fact, I can eyeball things more accurately. I purchased two of these and they don't even match each other.

I'm an architectural photographer and rely heavily on an accurate level to keep my shots perfectly aligned. Sadly this product doesn't do the job. Save your money and buy the more expensive, but infinitely more accurate 2-way level.
on February 22, 2014
Like others, this unit fits very snug. I found that, on my copy anyway, it had a raised area on the lip between the mount and the body of the block. I was able to file the raised area down using one of my wife's finger nail files. I did it a little at a time in order to not loosen it too much (which wasn't a problem since the finger nail file didn't remove much material with each pass).

After I got an acceptable fit I put it in the camera. I had the tripod legs levelled. I got the camera levelled in 2 horizontal axis, then panned the ball head 90 and 180 degrees. The levels still showed level. I think that'll be good enough for me to do panoramic shots with.

I had tried one of the spirit level type of hotshoe levels but found that when I have the camera at eye level I couldn't see the spirit level on top of the camera. Duh. Consequently I got one of these that will be much easier to see even if the camera is above eye level.
on August 19, 2010
Actually, before I got this I got two separate, very small (1" length x 3/8" or so width) bubble levels to attach to my Manfrotto ball head, thinking I might just go with that arrangement. (I got those little levels from Sinclair. They've a nice selection for anyone looking for levels to attach to something else.) I was careful to glue them straight and even to the sides of the plate on which the camera sits by way of a quick-release plate--one on the front, the other to the short side--where the camera doesn't overhang. I didn't bother with vertical.

Now I have this Studiohut level and so am in a unique position to do some testing. Given prices for these things (less than $2.00 ea. at Sinclair), I have to say all of them are pretty good. I've got all five (three in the Studiohut and 2 ea. Sinclair) about as lined up as one could reasonably expect for less than $50.00, and even at that price I doubt perfection would result. I'm fairly sure that were I to take some shots of buildings or just the ocean horizon, all would be level.

Although there is some variation between the side-mounted Sinclair and front-to-back (bottom level) Studiohut. Not much, but a little bit. Side to side is a match and the vertical on the Studiohut is almost dead center, certainly within the circle line.

I bought this knowing that it's intended for DSLRs or SLRs, while I have a Lumix LX3. The hotshoe on the LX3 will take it but not all the way in, just as I expected. Clips under the flanges of the hotshoe on each side seem to be preventing sliding the level in all the way, and I'm not about to force it. But it slides in far enough without forcing it. There could be just the slightest tilt, which would account for slight difference (referred to above) from front to back. That's okay since I have the one attached to the ball head to go by.

But for those thinking of getting this for anything less than a full-blown SLR-type camera (or medium- or even large format, I suppose) they might do well to bear in mind that it just might not quite fit. Thing is, any issue will be from front to back and so the horizon won't be affected. Side to side is most critical. A slight tilt forward or backward hardly matters unless shooting a building at an angle, in which case there are more problems than one with any camera that isn't an old Pentax with a shift lens or large format.

The vertical still strikes me as pointless, or at best repetitious. One might just as well go with a single centering-type bubble by itself, except that those tend to be unreliable if you haven't a microscope handy, or maybe a loupe. Who knows when it's dead center and just a little off can be a lot off.

This thing will do me when I need it, which won't be often, and now I've got what I think a fail-safe system if/when I really need that, and all for about $5.00 plus S&H, which was way more. And I can use it with my old SLRs too.
on February 5, 2012
I should have heeded the other reviews that warned that this level is grossly inaccurate. This level is not even close to being accurate. You can see with the naked eye that this level is way off. It was so inaccurate that when I put it on a perfectly level surface no part of the bubble was between the lines. That's BAD!!!

You would think that after so many defective levels being sold that someone would do something about it.

I was an idiot for ordering this level because I was warned by others before me. This was probably the most disappointing item I've purchased in years.

Please don't buy this unless you feel lucky and accidentally get one that works properly. You've been warned again.

If you like returning defective merchandise then go ahead and order it. The construction is very cheap also.

I love the idea of this level, but the execution of the idea was a miserable failure.
on October 14, 2014
I use this whenever my camera is on the tripod. It's a great little accessory for almost no money.
I think it's more accurate (or at least easier to read with more accuracy) than the bubble on my tripod head.

I'd like it if you could slide it into the shoe rotated 90 degrees, so you could see the level of your choice from the back of the camera. That'd be easy to manufacture. But a minor quibble.
on September 10, 2012
I purchased two of these from Amazon when I saw a couple of my friends in a camera club with them on their cameras when we were out on a field trip. When I asked them about them, they said that, even though their tripods had levels built into them, they liked them as additional level tools, with the additional leveling capacity when having the camera level was critical for a shot. Many tripods have one or two buble levels built into them, allowing levelling for those one or two directions. Although I now have tripods with one or more buble levels on them, these Studiohut Levels provide three level direction capabilities and these serve as a good backup in my camera bags for each of my camera bodies. They could also be used on a camera when using monopods, although it would be trickey to hold the monopod / camera steady enough to use, when and if needed and desired. They are small, take up no space, weigh almost nothing and are inexpensive. A good, inexpensive and functional camera accessory to keep in my camera bags.
on June 2, 2014
One side of the shoe is just a tiny bit thinner than the other, so my Canon 5DII's shoe mount pushes upward on the bad side, causing it to no longer sit parallel to the camera. I flipped the cube around, and the problem switched sides, so it is definitely this item. I *can* place my finger on the loose side and hold the level flush, but it's a hassle.

There are tons of these guys for sale all over the place. Unfortunately, that makes it impossible to know who actually manufacturers them, or which are the good and bad "brands."

Mine came from "Studiohut" and was a Prime Add-On. I recommend purchasing from a different seller at this time (June 2014).
on September 2, 2012
This item is so not worth my time, but I don't want others to get stuck with a shotty piece of merchandise.

With that said, I don't think you can really call this a level when it's about a 1/8th to a 1/4" off from being level.

I was trying to us this as a way to get accurate shots, but noticed right off the bat this was not a true level.

After further inspection of the item, I noticed the the feet that slide into the hot shoe are warped. Not wanting to believe it was messed up, I placed it on a level surface next to my own level and sure enough, it was off.

So, with that said, I will not be using it, but I'm stuck with it.