Tonic Studios Guillotine Paper Trimmer 12-Inch-by-6-Inch
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Portable, compact, and lightweight
- Cuts paper up to 12 by 12 inches
- Stainless steel blade for a clean, straight cut
- Base measures 12 by 6 inches
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
1. cutting your own finger. There are guards to use to hold your paper down tightly, but if you're not thinking, it's still easy to get your finger in the path of the Guillotine blade.
2. leaning on the cutter arm - this can bend it ever so slightly so that it grinds where the swivel point is and sometimes your cut isn't as clean or straight. I've bent mine now, which is disappointing, but I have found an adequate work-around in how I cut.
3. gummy objects on the blade. I'm a scrapbooker so I use adhesive and sometimes I have to cut through that adhesive tape. This does not leave an apparent residue on the blade but it does cause small areas of the cutting mechanism to "dull" out. I have yet to figure out how to get this to not happen, and have replaced the blade once. It tends to make a fuzzy cut where that blade is dull and I have yet to find a fix other than requesting a new blade.
Despite those three things, this is my go-to cutter for any of my papercrafting. My husband loves it too and often steals it for his own projects. After years of using it, I'm thrilled with it still, except the #2-3 comments above. Get one, you won't regret it!
The minute this arrived, I pulled it out of the box, ran and got paper, and -- yay -- cut a straight line! It also cuts multiple sheets of cardstock, and even better, it trims to the tiniest amount possible, which really helps use up those scraps. If I could give it ten stars, I would. Since I've downsized this past year, I also really appreciate that part of the fat orange part of the handle and extension just clip in beneath it, to take up much less room in storage. One hint. . . just pull the lever a little bit to the left as you cut. Easy peasy and perfect!
However, it is not my "go to" cutter because it is difficult to get accurate measurements. The measurement guide at the top is 1/4" above the bed which is not a problem if everything you cut goes by 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1" because those measurements are cut into the bed in both directions. However, if you want to cut say 2-1/8" it is guesswork. Probably not too bad if you cut only one piece. But if you are cutting multiples or layers, it is difficult to get them all cut the same or to get precise pieces to layer.
Mine does not cut square, maybe mine is misaligned and I should have returned it but I never got around to doing that.
Also it is almost impossible to cut anything less than 2" wide because the paper guard covers at least that much of the paper.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This cutter is one of my favorites. The only drawback is that it is a bit cumbersome but that's one of the reasons it is so great. Is sturdy and cuts very clean and precise. Read morePublished 21 months ago by acb
Best paper cutter ever!! Better than the great big heavy monster at work. Everyone that sees it, wants one. Buy this! You won't be sorry!Published on December 4, 2013 by Anastasia Beaverhausen
This paper trimmer was recommended by a craft blogger. I had always wanted a guillotine style paper trimmer but didn't want one that took up too much real estate. Read morePublished on September 9, 2013 by singas0ng
I upgraded to this cutter after one I got from costco with a bunch of fancy attachments didn't cut straight edges!! Crucial. Read morePublished on June 3, 2013 by Sara E DiMantova
I love this trimmer! Plastic spring loaded grip holds the paper in place while you cut and protects your fingers, very precise ruler and cutting, disassembles very easily to make... Read morePublished on May 23, 2013 by Jackie Wood
I had been wanting one for years and finally purchased this one and I was very pleased. For me it was the perfect size. Read morePublished on May 2, 2013 by Irene Levine
This cutter ends my long quest to find a 12" cutter that cuts true & straight every time...well made, but not too heavy or bulky. Read morePublished on April 25, 2013 by pzaitz