Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
on November 17, 2014
UPDATED REVIEW:
OK, I finally see why people are so disappointed with this watch and now so am I. The watch was only a few months old when the hands fell off the watch. Yes, like in several other reviews. Hands. Fell off. I was pretty annoyed, given the price point and fact that it was new, that the hands fell off during dinner, not a rigorous activity, and sloshed around inside the face. It was pretty embarrassing considering I gave it as a gift. I immediately sent it back to them with an incredulous letter about how I just bought the thing and the hands fell off, paid my $20 repair fee, and it came back with the hands back on. I meant to update my review then, "these people screaming about the hands coming off aren't just whistling Dixie...". I mean, it's just a darn watch, it needs the hands to tell time since that is the only function of a watch. But I'm glad I didn't update the review because a few months after that the watch exploded. You read that right. I can only theorize what may have happened but the watch was laying face down on a windowsill for a few hours. It was untouched until picked up to put back on at which time the glass back that exposes the gears was gone. Gone, gone. Couldn't be found on the floor. Who knows what happened to it. The gears were exposed and the seal was coming out. The hands were still on though, a great sign. I sent it back to Stuhrling with another baffled letter, again, "this watch is barely 6 months old and is trying to commit suicide...". I had to send them the $20 to repair it as well as $35 for the replacement back which I couldn't find (grumble). They fixed it again and sent it back to me.

On the positive side, they have fixed it each time for just the $20 each time (plus the cost of the missing part) but should a $150 watch be breaking TWICE in less than a year due only to poor design? Clearly, no.

Currently the watch has both hands and a back, but I'm worried about what is next.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I'm not sure why there are some really crappy reviews for this watch. I own another Stuhrling which has been my banging around, everyday watch for 6 years. It still looks ok (a little scratched up) and when it stopped working and it wasn't the battery, I sent it to Stuhrling in Brooklyn with my check for $20 and they fixed it and sent it back to me. I'm happy with the company and the quality.

I purchased this watch as a gift based totally on the style. It was a bonus that I had a positive experience with the manufacturer. The skeleton feature is really cool, the back is also clear so you can see all the way through it. It is a big watch and eats up a lot of space on the arm in a manly way. If you do not have a fairly big forearm it might look like you're 5 and trying on your dad's watch. The materials look solid, there is nothing flimsy about this watch. The band may be an issue because it does feel a little rubbery, can pull the hair out on the arm and does not breathe depending on how tight it is set. It allows for more fit options but a metal band might have been a better look for the bold face of this watch. It also glows in the dark which was not something I remember seeing on the specifications, nothing crazy bright, just the hands and the hour markers which is a great feature in the dark. Of course it is also water resistant, I think even Walmart watches are, which is mandatory. My recipient has had it for a month now with no mechanical issues. He has said it runs a little slow (I guess due to the automatic movement) but does not think that is a show stopper. Being free of batteries is nice. It comes in the big, orange Stuhrling box which makes a nice presentation. My advice is be sure to register it in case there are any issues down the road.

For the money, this is a bold statement watch. Yes, it's just a Stuhrling and not a TAG Huer but it is also priced like a Stuhrling and not a TAG Huer. For a less expensive watch you won't be afraid to wear every day, this packs a lot of great features and styling.
on September 2, 2014
If you are looking for a real (reliable) piece of watch, just look elsewhere. I have two different types of Stuhrling watches. I observed the unreliability with the first one, so I bought another one thinking the first might be some factory error. But with my experience of the second one, I conclude that they are all the same. If you have used yours for a year before it starts giving issues, consider yourself lucky. Both of mine stopped working in less than 48 hours. Imagine someone admiring your wristwatch all for you to realize that it stopped working like 2 hours ago? That was a big embarrassment for me. This is nothing but an unreliable piece of junk.
on February 2, 2011
DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS!!!

I am a watch collector and own several rare watches that i treasure. I was looking for something special. I always thought i wanted a watch with carbon fiber, but i was not impressed with what is offered on the market. Prices for Carbon Fiber-faced watches seem to range between the $500 - $15,000 range. But that wasn't the main issue for me. The main issue is how to you blend the Carbon Fiber with the technical aspect of an Automatic Watch? How to bring something Traditional and Modern together? I never liked the solutions i saw from Firms such as OMEGA, TAG HEUER, RAYMOND WEIL, BELL&ROSS, PANERAI, but to name a few....then i saw this watch! UNBELIEVABLE!! so beautiful in every detail. The pictures do not do this watch justice! I chose this version with the aluminum because it looked very technical and sporty and i liked the contrast. I love every detail of this watch. My personal preference is to have a leather band, as i do not like Rubber Straps. But, once again, even the Rubber Strap of this watch is special... it isn't a one-dimentional strap. It has detail, depth, character. It looks like the strap was chiseled out of a solid block of rubber. I really must say, the detail level on this watch is extraordinary. Even the screws that fasten down the crown have a special 'S' pattern to them that i did not notice before. The box and presentation (packaging) of this watch is also of the highest level.
I would have paid much more for this watch.

Not that it is important to me, but everyone that sees this watch asks me about it.... much more then my Omega's on Panerai watches that i own.
on January 10, 2010
I recently found myself needing to replace my trusty 10 yr old Seiko Kinetic. I have always enjoyed watches and rely on them so this was not a hasty purchase. After many hours of hunting and research I finally decided to buy the Stuhrling Original Raven Diablo (Silvertone) from Amazon. So far this has turned out to be an excellent decision and I am extremely pleased.

I had no specific brand in mind when I began my research-I simply wanted an affordable timepiece that met the following criteria:
-automatic mechanical movement
-rubber adjustable strap
-water resistance
-luminescent hands and markers
-quality crystal
-interesting (might as well enjoy it too, right?)

It is very clear to me that Stuhrling Original aims to make the purchase of a new watch a special event for the "common man". This was clear to me before the watch was even out of the box as the packaging is very nicely done. Not necessary, but certainly appreciated.

The movement thus far has proven to be very accurate and lost only 11 seconds the first 24 hrs and only 2-7 seconds over each 24 hr period since-excellent accuracy for a mechanical watch out of the box and better than I could have hoped for. The black silicone-like rubber strap is robustly built, very soft, flexible and "grabby" so the strap keepers actually work. I am extremely happy with the readability in the dark. My concerns in this area were put to rest the first night when after only 2 hrs out-of-box in moderate household lighting the hands and markers were still very visible following 8 hrs sleep.

The watch is very ruggedly built and I feel that the quality is outstanding for the price paid. I have received many comments on the watch and find myself looking at it more often than is really necessary. I definitely like the fact that it's a skeleton, and the moving parts are visible. There are a lot of nicely done details and I especially like the use of skeleton-ized carbon fiber on the dial and the black PVD coated case. I should also note that the bezel has a finely brushed stainless steel appearance and is shinier than what appears in some of the photos.

One potential drawback for some is the fact that this is NOT a small watch and with the grippy nature of the strap can create issues when donning/wearing tighter long sleeves. A minor issue for me, but one worth being aware of.

Time will tell in regards to durability and longevity of the watch but I am expecting good things. I'm extremely happy with this purchase to this point and feel that this timepiece is an excellent value.
on January 10, 2013
A couple hours after i wore the watch, it stopped functioning. I tried to charge it by winding it but it did not work. I did a little research on the internet and found a disturbing blog saying that Stuhrling watches are assembled in China, with poor quality control and they come very dirty on the inside, what makes their mechanism work poorly. The only solution they give is to have it open, oiled and cleaned up.
Amazon, Ill be looking forward for your support in order to find a satisfactory solution, as I frequently buy for me and my relatives through your portal, I don't hesitate that you will keep our good commercial relationship and make it up for me.

[...]
on January 9, 2012
This watch i was reviewing for a long time. i got to know Stuhrilng original and for a long time was exploring their time pieces. This one i liked most. When i ordered and received it i was nicely surprised of the quality of the watch . The only thing that you can not see and feel from the pictures is the strap, which , by main opinion, is very soft. from the upper side is like velvet. If i have to be honest i expected to be more hard not so smooth, at first i decided that it is absorbing to much dust from the clothes and it stays dusty most of the time, special now in winter when i'm wearing more sweaters. But with the time it get more smooth so this appearance is no longer an issue.
I must say that i really can recommend this watch. I love it, actually it is my first Stuhrling, but know i'm thinking for second one.
What i have to say is: You wont regret if you bay it! It is amazing!
review image review image review image review image
on November 29, 2014
This thing sucks. Its one of those things I am still keeping because it definitely looks good but it ends there. Think of it as expecive bracelet. No function just looks.
on October 24, 2012
I wanted another automatic watch to use for more sports / recreation style situations. I've always looked at the Stuhrling watches and liked the design. Well, now I also like the build too! Excellent, heavy build. I know to be careful with the crystal (def. not sapphire), and I'm generally careful with my watches, so I'm hoping this holds up (unlike some of the other reviewers).

So, currently, I rate this 5 stars- awesome value for the money!
on September 18, 2012
One of my favorite watches.

It is a basic watch in that it only tells the time and nothing else.
However, it's clockwork view ports and stylish design make it very interesting
to look at and it certainly attracts many positive comments.

It is quite large but that is what helps it make a statement.
(Do not buy this if you have a small wrist).

I would definitely buy another Stuhrling.
on September 10, 2013
Had my watch for four years now. I own about a dozen watches across the gamut of price ranges ($50 to $1k) and various movements. This is the only watch I've owned that simply broke. The counter weight in the automatic movement basically "fell off".

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.