Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 41 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 58 reviews
on August 13, 2016
This was interesting in seeing how other people combine their own dichotomies of personality. The questions were good and exploratory. But in order to find your own style statement, you have two choices. 1) try to match up your answers to what is in the book, or 2) as the authors suggest, think about you and research words and find what is truly you. This is not an overnight process.

I also think the ‘case studies’ are great for seeing how people live their style statements. There are clues throughout the question section on how to live your statement and if that is not enough there is a section on incorporating toward the back.
on January 28, 2014
Liked this book a lot because it offers a new way of working with your personal style through the crafting of two word personal statements.

I'll admit, I'm not sure that it's truly possible to express all of a person's strengths and persona in two words, and when you look at the book's appendices, it seems like the author's are truly helping you to find dominate themes in your life. I found the methods the authors shared for identifying those two words to be confusing. However, I liked the case studies of people who worked with the authors personally.

I found the best way to identify a two-word personal statement was to read and re-read the examples in the appendices and then go back and look at some of the questions in the chapters.

I bought the Kindle version of this book, and that may have been a problem for me. I would probably recommend buying a printed copy of this book to make the exercises in the book easier to do.
on July 22, 2017
I bought this for research and although it is really different in its style and writing layout and technique it is the same style Danielle Laporte uses today. It gave me a lot of ideas and is useful for my job. I didn't know this book existed, I feel like I found a vaulted treasure.
on May 23, 2014
This book is fascinating! It is like a coffee table book with beautiful color pictures. The information is much more personal than I had thought it would be, giving you advice on how to choose 2 words to describe your style. It doesn't give you clothing advice, or how to dress, or what to where when, it simply takes you as you are and encourages you to choose the words that best describe you. That is your Style Statement. It profiles several people and explains their Style Statement words and that is very helpful in determining your own. I found it to be very interesting, encouraging, and inspiring. I really do love the book and refer to it often.
on March 4, 2010
I first read about this book in Better Homes and Garden and it so intrigued me, I had to look it up for myself. At the time, I didn't want to spend the money but when I received an Amazon gift card at Christmas, I just had to buy it.

It was absolutely worth the money and the wait. I wasn't struggling when I bought it but having recently graduated from high school, I was floundering. Style Statement changed that. It made me look at the obvious things, the things I already know. I already knew how much I love vintage clothing and styles. I already knew what my general taste was. But Style Statement does just that: makes you look at the things you already know about yourself, the things you love and the things you hate. It's the simplest process, the simplest idea, because all it really does is asks you to write down the things you already think about yourself. Once you see it on paper, you realize you already kenw who you were.
on February 3, 2011
I checked this out of the library on a whim and really enjoyed working through the exercises. The book takes you through eight different areas of your life, both material (e.g. Home, Fashion) and non (e.g. Creativity, Relationships) and asks questions about what's working for you right now and what's not. Then you pick out the major themes, images, ideas, etc and use them to create a two-word phrase that describes how you best relate to and interact with yourself and the world around you. The first word is your "foundation word" that describes who you are most of the time, how you operate when you're in your comfort zone. The second is your "accent word": what pushes you past your limitations, what inspires you, what gives you your flair.

I am a Comfortable Creative, I have concluded. Comfortable because I value physical comforts, peacekeeping and nurturing, security/stability, and the people around me, but sometimes have trouble with change. Creative because I feel best when I'm being inspired or inspiring others, I'm a sponge for emotions and information (good and bad), and I deeply respect others' forms of self-expression.

Okay, so what good does that do me? Well, before admitting to myself how affected I am by physical comfort, it was the first thing to go out the window when I got stressed or frustrated. The "Who has time to take a nap or a shower or go put on a sweater, anyway?" mentality was actually probably making it harder for me to get things done. I've always kind of felt that it was a sign of weakness to be too wrapped up with physical comfort, and that I just wasn't a evolved enough person to push through and ignore what my body was telling me. Now, I understand that I do my best work when I'm not getting nagging hungry-cold-tired signals all the time.

As for my creative side, I was pushing too hard for it to come out without fulfilling the conditions of comfort first. I've always felt as an artist that I wasn't "edgy" enough, or something, but now I realize that my creative strength has never come from that kind of energy. One of the role models I wrote about in my journalling was the lead singer of the Weepies, because "she is living proof that you can be happy with your life and still make good art." While my comfortable side makes it hard for me to take risks, my creative side is the one encouraging me past my fears. It's all about balance.

That being said, I found this book last weekend at the library and have not been exposed to some of the off-putting commercialism, self-promotion, etc, that some other reviewers have mentioned. I see this book as a useful tool for drawing out some unexpected insights, but I feel the usefulness of the experience is proportional to how seriously you take the journalling exercises and how much time you put into them.
on October 7, 2013
This is a really instghtful book. I am doing this with a group of friends. We have learned a lot about each other and feel more vested in our relationships as a result. It's a great tool to help you narrow down the specifics of who you want to be and the place you carve out for yourself.
on March 11, 2013
About five women met to work on this book as a group. We had a great time. We would work on each section separately and complete it. Then we would discuss our thoughts/answers and others would add their thoughts/input. It was very powerful. In addition, the last section was even more powerful where we gave each other advice. It definitely helped us think about who we were and why.
on June 2, 2013
This book asked me to ask myself questions I hadn't considered before - and that doesn't happen often to me! I especially loved the process at the end that brought it all together. My style statement surprised me, and delights me. I see what they mean, in that it can inform many of my decisions. Well done!
on September 13, 2013
I am loving this book. I have been searching for a way to define my style. I have already figured out my colors and energy profile with Carol Tuttle, but now I can add my "style" and have a clear path ahead for my outer world. Worth the read.