Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 106 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 156 reviews
on September 18, 2017
An excellent concert! This is from the 1996 Return to Paradise tour. Filmed at their last night of the tour in Chicago, the group is lively and animated. The selection of songs highlights their career. At times, the editing gets in the way and the bonus features are not much to write home about - a brief interview with Tommy Shaw, a short collection shot by the new drummer; some very brief info about the band; a discography; and a cut from their then new album - but I am not sorry I bought this DVD.
on June 20, 2003
If you're a Styx fan you will love this DVD. The band (minus Chuck Panozzo, the drummer, who died just prior to this 1996 tour) is very tight, and they obviously enjoy their Chicago reunion. Their newdrummer, Todd Sucherman, fits, and really adds to the energy. Most of Styx's major hits are here (Rockin' The Paradise, Blue Collar Man, Lady, Too Much Time On My Hands, Snowblind, Suite Madame Blue, Crystal Ball, Grand Illusion, Fooling Yourself, Show Me The Way, Boat On The River, Lorelei, Babe, Miss America, Come Sail Away, Renegade, and The Best of Times), with one glaring omission from my standpoint - Mr. Roboto. Most of the songs were very well done, with Come Sail Away being truly awesome.
Styx as usual puts on a great show. John Panozzo, the bassist is far more active and engaged then I ever remember in the shows I saw. The only problem with the sound concerned the volume on James Young's leads. In some (but not all) settings on my receiver (Denon 3802 - Widescreen and Jazz Room settings) his leads are very quiet. This was especially bothersome, as one of the greatest things about Styx involve the contrasting guitar styles of James Young and Tommy Shaw. Additionally, while James Young's leads absolutely rocked, a few of Tommy's do not fit as well as they could have (although his acoustic work was awesome!). Also, Dennis DeYoung's black hair color is somewhat strange.
These are minor quibbles though. Their voices are all terrific, and the performance is wonderful. If you have ever seen their live performances, you know this is where Styx truly shines. This DVD reminds us how great they really were.
on May 4, 2006
I saw Styx in concert in 1981 during the original "Paradise Theater" tour. I was a high school student, and unimpressed with previous bands (Molly Hatchet and Heart) whose concerts I'd attended.

Styx really thrives in the arena; they put on a truly fantastic show! I've always wished I could see that 1981 concert again live -- I took some nice photos at the 1981 concert -- and this DVD really brought it all back. I watched this DVD over and over, with memories of 1981 reinforced by this fine 1996 performance.

This is what you get when you have talented muscians who understand they are on a stage, putting on a show for an audience; superbly executed music and a great performance. If you've haven't discovered Styx yet, you may find this DVD to be the turning point for you. In fact, I'd recommend you buy this DVD before you buy any Styx vinyl or CDs. Styx is even more enjoyable in concert.

They are one of those rare bands who belong on stage more, and in the studio less. As the Cheap Trick live version of "I want you to want me" showed that band to shine on stage, this DVD proves Styx's value as one of the original arena rock bands.

My favorite moments from this DVD are too many to list. Frankly, Styx doesn't have select good "moments" on stage; the entire concert is a great moment. There are no flat spots. You don't get bored.

I was mesmerized watching Tommy Shaw make guitar playing seem like magic, and his angelic voice is undiminished by time; ditto for Dennis DeYoung's perfect voice and keyboard playing, Chuck's cozy presence with is bass guitar, James Young's high "hair-metal" energy, the new drummer's perfect playing and the band's comfortable and very dynamic stage chemistry with each other.

This concert leaves you feeling good.

- john starr
on February 21, 2005
Styx, the most Mythical and musical rock band of all time put on one of the greatest rock concerts of all time! This concert is a killer from start to finish.I got 'goose bumps'throughout the set by the Melodious/Harmonious voices of masters Tommy Shaw and Dennis de Young, these guys rocked the Chicago (home) crowd to classic Styx songs as Crystal Ball,Come Sail Away,Renegade,Blue Collar Man,Lady,Boat on the River and many more of their hits. The musicianship is a 10..Tommy and J.Y ripped through the crowd with precision 'Styx' solos tommy's acoustic performances on 'crystal ball' and fooling yourself is so heart warming he even played the 'mandolin' on the breathtaking 'Boat on the river'!De Young trademark 'dreamy' keyboard was refreshing as ever, so was his showmanship.J.Y even rocked the frenzied 'Paradise' crowd to his Miss America and Snowblind,Todd's drumming would have made the late John Panazzo really proud as it really got emotional when the band paid tribute to him (John) as De young sang 'Show me the Way'.

Bassist Chuck Panazzo who appeared unmoved throughout the set played remarkably.Truly a Classic Styx performance.

The menu,sound and video on this concert are all 10!For this price at Amazon it a 'Steal'!
on April 23, 2010
For Styx fans, this is a must have. The concert was perfectly photographed with adequate sound(the acoustics of concert venues are normally much worse than a closed set like a recording studio). The sound is quite adequate.

For non-Styx fans who love rock, I say also get this disk...give them a chance. Styx was dismissed by some snobs as being popular, top 40 music. Well, all of the great music acts over time have had top 40 hits, and criticizing someone for it is like saying an author is no good...he has too many best sellers to his name.

The group, vocally, was never bettered by anyone and only approached by Journey..i.e. Steve Perry. Their songs were hits because they were simple, thematic, and catchy. Seeing the group perform, comprised as it is today, singing these hits, was just splendid.

So, Styx fans, come and get it; Styx snobs...consider taking a 2nd look...you liked their music(admit it), so why not enjoy and not worry about who the band is...
on August 29, 2017
This is a must have for any Styx fan. Video is shot well, 5.1 surround sound really adds to it. This is the classic line up that everyone remembers. The songs are pretty much anything you would want to hear, with a few exceptions. Although Dennis DeYoung thinks he is the star, it doesn't take long to realize that Tommy Shaw is the true star of this band. Besides the vocals, very good guitar solos. I thought JY played most of them, but I was wrong. I could name a handful of songs that aren't here, Light Up, Midnight Ride, & Queen Of Spades, but everything else is here from that era. I would suggest picking this one up, while you still can.
on March 26, 2008
I've been a Styx fan for probably over a decade, which compared to some of the other reviewers here is not saying much, but when I first started listening to Styx, all I had to go by were the radio hits that get played all the time such as: Come Sail Away, Renegade, Lady, Babe, etc. For many years those were the only songs I listened to on my greatest hits cd of Styx. Later I began to appreciate songs like Suite Madame Blue and Crystal Ball. This concert was the first time I ever heard Snowblind and the first time I ever listened to the whole of Grand Illusion, both of which I now find to be excellent songs.

As for the DVD, it has excellent camera angles, a decent amount of special features, excellent video, and superb sound. The concert itself is great, all the vocals are excellent and although they don't sound the same as a studio recording, one would almost prefer some of these renditions to the studio versions. I rented this DVD first to see if it was worth buying and it definetely is.
on January 6, 2014
If you are a long time Styx fan, as I am, this DVD is for you. It is the original group (with Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw, JY and Chuck Panozzo) except the drummer John Panozzo, who had died the year before it was recorded. Todd Sucherman does a great job on the drums, so the music sounds as it did when they recorded it.
The band is tight and they are on a roll from the very beginning of the show. It was recored in Chicago, so they are even in front of their home town crowd. I saw them in Cleveland in 1980, when they were doing the tour for Cornerstone. They were on a roll that night also. But I was a long ways from the stage, not right up close where you can see who is doing what, as it is on the DVD.
on June 16, 2012
I like Styx. They aren't my favorite band of all time but I did grow up with them and like them. But so far in terms of concert DVDs NOTHING comes close to this one. All the hits are here. Renegade. Blue Collar Man. Come Sail Away. Loreli. Lady. Too Much Time on My Hands. Boat on a River. The Best of Times. Foolin Yourself. The Grand Illusion. Tommy Shaw and Dennis De Young are spot on. The pacing is perfect. The video is fantastic. The showmanship is spectacular. NOT the original drummer (he died) but who is going to know? Tommy Shaw and Dennis De Young ARE Styx. It is obvious that I will watch this DVD until it wears out.

Edit: Just watched it again... for the Nth time. Never get tired of it. Youtube Grand Illusion followed by Fooling Yourself and Renegade followed by The Best of Times. If you have a problem with any of these versions... then you have a problem with yourself. (And also watch Tommy Shaw in the last minute of Come Sail Away. LOVED IT. ) Every time I watch this DVD I see something new and epic. The energy is amazing. And for me that will ALWAYS be the difference with other video concerts: THE ENERGY of the band AND the audience. Amazing.
on October 16, 2012
Well I finally bought this DVD. Been a Styx fan since Cornerstone. This DVD was released in 1999, in the early days of DVD's and it shows. It does have a 5.1 audio mix, but the center speaker is empty, it sounds tin-canish but is acceptable. The picture quality look like it was taken from a VHS tape, but it was filmed very good and had nice editing. Good song list, good energetic concert. Some good bonus features too, a Tommy Shaw interview, photo slide show of the tour as a a camcorder video-log of the tour. Still a Must own for a Styx fan. It is much better than the 1984 "Caught in the Act" DVD.