Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 56 reviews
on June 8, 2017
Bought this for my High School Cousin who is 15 years old, she is obsessed - raves about this book!
on March 17, 2017
great book
on February 13, 2011
There aren't many books that expemplify intelligence and character in young teens. Even more so, the heroes rarely have such candid dialoge or engaging vocabulary. This is honest description of todays suburban youth is entertaining and captivatingly humorous. The content is comparable to C.D. Paynes Youth in Revolt, though not nearly as exciting and nerve racking.
Highly recommended to any one who enjoys unlikeable heroes and has experianced a dysfunctional posh cliche childhood.
on July 6, 2004
Review:
"The Submarine" by Thomas Parrish
Viking-2004-576 pages including notes and large bibliography
Over the past ten years, many submarine books have passed by my reading chair. There has been a fair mix of fiction and non-fiction. The fictional books are needed to keep a level of interest and fun going through the much tougher reading non-fiction works. Some of the fictional books are keepers. All of the non-fiction works have lasting value and are keepers. Some of these later genre of books are ingrained in my mind as worthy of greater accolades than they receive in that brief period before and after the publishing date.
In my opinion, "The Submarine" falls into that more worthy class. There are two books that are recent that tell the whole story of submarines and retain the readers interest throughout. "The Navy Times Book of Submarines" and "The Submarine" are those two works. Certainly you must say that Clay Blair's works and Norman Friedman's technical works are very important but in ways that handle a specific time frame or the more technological advances in submarine building.
Parrish does a superior job of research and his bibliography of 10 pages indicates his devotion to detail and accuracy. Yet the book is full of anecdotes and facts that were new to me and added great interest. The book traces early developmental history to the Holland versus Lake early days through the battles with Admiral Rickover and Electric Boat and Congress., I never tire of hearing tales of the wily Rickover or of the work done by "Red" Raborn in the early Polaris missile program. All areas are covered from the Turtle through the USS Virginia SSN 774.
The books should be included in every serious submarine historian's library and referred to often. Although my library now resides in storage and is waiting it's placement as the cornerstone of a planned museum's library, this book will stay here and join my retained works that form the core of my knowledge. Those being Silent Victory, Thunder Below, Submarine Operations in WWII, Friedman's 2-volume work, United States Submarines, Admiral Lockwood's books, Blind Man's Bluff, Hitler's U-Boat Wars and a few others.
My thanks to Thomas Parrish for his devotion and for helping me fulfill the Creed of U.S. Submariner Veterans, which is to "perpetuate the memory of our shipmates."
(...)
on August 7, 2016
This book was quite good ! Oliver is such a cool and quirky kid which makes him and the book so unique. The only thing I would change is the ending because the plot gets a bit weird and out of context in my opinion towards the end. Otherwise, it's a great book! I have tried to find other ones that resembles Submarine with no success because it's so unique and special!
on March 29, 2013
I know that you shouldn't compare a novel to the movie based on it, but I can't help it. Normally I find that the source material is better, but this was an exception. I gave up on the book about halfway because it was starting to ruin my memory of the movie, which I love. The protagonist in the novel is more sinister and unfeeling than I expected, and that changed my attitude towards the story.
on June 22, 2015
This incredible first novel feels so insightful, so believable, so real that you almost have to wonder if Dunthorne hasn't pulled a Dragnet on us -- the story being real, and the names changed to protect the innocent. In many ways, this is among the best coming of age novels there is.
on March 11, 2011
Very excited to see Ayoade's interpretation of the story and the tale had some very hilarious parts. I literally laughed out loud. Very dark, dry, witty humor at its best. A fun, quick read that'll leave you wanting closure for sure!
on September 14, 2014
This book is great. It's different from the film to a very large degree, but it's good in it's own way. I would advise all fans of the film to read this. When I got it, it was a bit bent. It was disappointing because I like when my books are all in perfect condition, but it didn't take from the book's quality.
on February 24, 2014
This book is pretty funny, and it's hard not to feel a sort of connection with the characters. I watched the movie and it inspired me to buy the book. Joe Dunthorne has an awesome way of writing. I would recommend it to anyone, really. If you can handle the slight language barrier, I say give it a read!