Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ricky Martin All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 16, 2002
Everything he says in the book makes sense. Then again you can figure out every one of his points by just reading the table of contents.

The most enjoyable part was the real life examples that make you feel that anything he says is possible
Like all books you should use the "shopping cart" method knowing you won't agree with everything and that is ok. The stuff you don't like don't put in your "shopping" cart but leave it. The stuff you do like, take it with you and apply it.

Book is well organized and easy to read. I'm glad my boss recommended it to me and I'm the farthest thing from a sports fan and still enjoyed it well enough. . . though it seemed pretty basic after reading the table of contents. But I guess we all need a reminder to go back to the basics once in a while.
on May 29, 2013
Overall this was a pretty good book. It had lots of advice that I've incorporated into my life. Almost gave it a 4 because there were way too many stories in it. The book could have been much shorter and still got the message across without so many examples. I ended up skipping many of them so it wasn't a big deal.
on May 4, 1998
Years ago, channel surfing in Providence, RI, I came across a TV show hosted by then-unknown Providence College basketball coach Rick Pitino. Expecting to hear a half hour of coach-speak about winning the next game, I instead saw one of the most intelligent, detailed analyses of basketball strengths and weaknesses that I ever heard in my life. Thinking that anyone this prepared and disciplined could succeed at nearly anything, it was no surprise when he guided a previously obscure team to the Final Four that year.
In Success Is A Choice, Pitino again succeeds in transcending the standard eat-your-vegetables advice about working hard and succeeding. His ten steps to success are all things you've heard before, but are coupled with the same intelligent analysis and passion that helped Pitino grab his own personal brass rings. His anecdotes from life on the basketball court translate well to the shop floor or the boardroom, and show a depth of understanding human motivation that goes far beyond slogans. This is a guide that will make you hungry to get started doing the hard work it takes to succeed. -- Rich Gallagher, author of Smile Training Isn't Enough.
on July 9, 1999
Rick Pitino is a genius at getting the maximum effectiveness from people regardless of obstacles. Having his exact philosophies on my home bookshelf is a joy and provides instant motivation on days where I feel lazy, unmotivated or unfocused. Everyone occassionally needs a jump start and Coach Pitino is a walking kick in the butt. But what's important is that he conveys the "Why's" of his messages, meaning that there is purpose to his ideas and that is what makes you remember each step because they really do provide the framework for deserving success. Lots of people like to think they know everything it takes to be truly successful, but ironically very few of us actually are. This honest, gut-checking book will definitely be a constant reminder and functional compass to make sure any reader is pointed in the right direction. I can't recommend it highly enough. Now I'm going out to get the CD!!!!!!!!!!!!
on March 16, 2008
What does this book have what Phil Jackson's and Pat Riley's don't have? Talent, just unspoiled talent. This book deals with the basics, the players who are not stars yet but have the potential to emerge to one. Besides that, it deals with business and not only sports. Especially useful as many of the readers earn their money in business, not in sports.

Pitino's gameplan is simple and pure. When you read about it you can instantly apply it to a situation near your work or at home. It also drives you in a motivational way and sucks you into a story teaching about succes, not bragging about it.

Definitly the best book written by a coach when you're still in the minor leagues yourself.
on July 21, 2013
Bought this for my son ... a 17 year old basketball player ... WELL, if you have teenagers, you know that you can't put something in front of them and expect them to look at it much less read it. (What was I thinking? Hope springs eternal!!) So I read it!! LOVED it!! And if my son gets to reading it, all the better. But I found it very helpful for me... and I think that is probably as good as it gets!
on September 20, 2016
Rick Pitino conveys his ideas succinctly, framed with his personal successes and failures. Like he says, you choose to succeed or fail, and you should only reward yourself when you work hard. I recommend it. Pitino is your coach!
on April 7, 2014
As a philosopher Rick is no Marcus Aurelius, but he's good on the psychological aspects of becoming what you want to be -- self-awareness, identifying goals & following through, and addressing the weaknesses of your "game".
on September 1, 2015
I can't count how many times I have read/used/referenced this book as a player, co-worker, manager, coach.... Such a great book to have. EVERY ATHLETE SHOULD READ!
on October 1, 2015
When I initially read this book in 1997, it was a five star. Now, 18 years later... it deserves ten (10) stars.