Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Sugar and Ice
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$5.39

on January 26, 2016
My daughter's (10) favorite book. She does read a lot but never reads a book more than once. She has checked this book out at school four times to reread it over again. She even dressed up as an ice skater for book character day at school. I was so excited to find a signed copy on Amazon to give her for Christmas.
on December 20, 2016
This is such a good book. I love Kate Messner's story lines and writing quality. The first book I read by her was The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z and loved it. I pre-read all book my child read at this age. I immediately went on amazon and bought this book as well. It did not disappoint.
on February 24, 2015
Written well enough to keep myself and my 7 yr old figure skater interested until the very end. We read together every night and couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. Passing it along to her skating coaches. Some good lessons learned throughout.
on February 14, 2015
This is my reluctant reader's very favorite book in the world. She is a skater and is now reading the book for a second time - not to mention recommending it to all her friends. Great read for older elementary school.
on June 15, 2015
This book taught me a lot about confidence and it was such an interesting novel! I recommended everybody in their elementary years and early teens to read it
on August 18, 2013
I choose the to give this book a five stars rating because it showed a different side that a book like sugar and ice wouldn't have. It was truly amazing story to read. How there was tension between Megan and Claire.
on January 15, 2014
My daughter loves this book! She ice skates its the perfect gift for your skater. Love it love it love it
on January 5, 2012
Very cute, I would have loved reading this a few years ago. But as a skater myself, some of the ideas used were either unrealistic or inaccurate. But for children, it would definitely be a great read.
on December 18, 2010
If all middle grade were written as well as this, I think I just might read middle grade forever. Kate Messner's second novel is just as fun, heartfelt, and engrossing as her first. It sent me in ecstacies of delight over how much I loved it!

Claire Boucher loves two things: her family's maple syrup farm and competitive ice-skating. So when she gets the chance to train at the Lake Placid Olympic Training Facility with a world-class coach, she is simultaneously terrified and excited. Making the commitment to the sport involves sacrifices--time with her family and best friend, long commutes several days a week--but it's also a dream come true for her.

Or is it? The more Claire immerses herself in the competitive ice-skating world, the more she realizes how cutthroat it is. Some of the girls who train with her would do almost anything to make it big, and Claire must decide just how much she's willing to sacrifice for her ice-skating dreams.

I don't know much about either collecting sap or ice-skating, but SUGAR AND ICE made me wish I were Claire. She is a delightful protagonist, full of love for her friends, family, and passion, but also young enough to experience the vulnerabilities of dealing with new situations. Her love for ice-skating is so inspiring--Kate Messner describes the skating scenes beautifully--that when she is knocked down by the cutthroat attitude of the ice-skating world, it breaks your heart. I constantly wanted to reach into the book and help Claire out a little: no, don't listen to that girl, she's just jealous of you! Skate for yourself and forget about how others might be judging you!

Supporting characters are colorful and varied. In particular, Tasanee, Claire's good training friend, is Asian, and likes to read popular paranormal YA. I dare you to go into this book and try to figure out which books she reads. So the friends are well-developed, but the mean girls, to my delight, are, too. There's a reason why people turn out mean, and in SUGAR AND ICE we see the different ways that meanness can exert itself, and what drives the girls to desperate measures.

Overall, SUGAR AND ICE is just so wonderfully heartwarming and real. It will remind you of the best and worst of middle-grade girls without the pettiness that sometimes crops up in this age group. Readers of all ages will fall in love with Claire and Kate Messner's writing!
on December 7, 2010
I adored reading this book and can't wait to share it! Sugar and Ice explores one girl's decision to follow her love of ice skating and accept a scholarship to a prestigious training center. She adjusts to her new routine, where skating lessons take up every ounce of free time. But it's harder to adjust to a new group of friends. I think Kids will love exploring what it means to start competing in major shows, how Claire has to figure out how to skate in her head and master the butterflies in her stomach, and how to handle the mean, super-competitive girls she's now skating with.
11 comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse