Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Soft Down Lid Support
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

on January 11, 2016
I read many of the reviews indicating that this product does not close the lid slowly throughout the entire motion. Since I experienced the same issue at first, but was able to resolve the problem with some trial and error, I wanted to share what I learned from my installation.

Initially, I experienced the same problem complained of by others – the product would close the lid slowly at first, but then slam it down at the end of the motion. I assumed my lid was too heavy and ordered a second hinge. However, after watching a couple of YouTube videos where other users installed a single hinge in similar applications (a toy box) that appeared to work as advertised, I realized that the problem was not the hinge or the weight of the lid, but the way I positioned it.

On first installation, I placed the plastic rotating mechanism too far forward (toward the front of the box), and a bit too low. In this position, it would begin closing the lid very slowly until it was about half closed, but by the end of the motion the hinge would not provide enough resistance and the lid would slam shut. I learned that when the plastic rotating mechanism is placed very close to the back wall of the box (without infringing on its ability to fully rotate), and when it is placed high enough that the top of the plastic part of the arm is almost even with the top of the box when the arm is extended so the lid is in the open position, it is very effective at slowly and softly closing the lid throughout the entire range of motion. I note that, at least in my application, the manufacturer's picture showing the placement of the mechanism on this page depicts the proper height of the plastic mechanism, although I had to place it farther back (closer to the back wall) to get the full slow close effect. Once properly positioned, I think this is a very effective product (of course, I wish I didn’t have to drill unnecessary holes in my toy box to figure this out). It also appears to be well engineered and constructed.

The installation problems I originally encountered, similar to those of others, are likely the result of the incomprehensible instructions provided by the manufacturer. The other reviews are correct - the instructions are nothing more than an engineering schematic, and I suspect even some trained mechanical engineers would need to spend some reviewing them to understand what the manufacturer is attempting to convey. The instructions are useless to most laypersons.

Fortunately, you really don’t need the instructions to install this product, especially if you watch a couple of videos of the hinge in action and observe the placement by those users. So, if you find that your hinge does not work correctly throughout the full range of motion of the lid, I suggest changing its placement before you give up and decide that it is not effective (as I almost did).
on January 21, 2013
I bought this for my kids' toy box to create a sopft close lid that would not slam down on little fingers or heads. This holds the lid open when fully extended BUT when you close the lid it begins as a soft close then slams down shut. I have attempted to adjust it but it is still NOT a soft close. BEWARE if this is what you are looking for!
on November 13, 2013
I installed one of these on a normal size toy/blanket chest and it looks very nice and holds the lip open really well. It provides very good resistance to closing for the first 15 degrees or so, after which it picks up speed and slams shut. If someone were to walk by and bump the open lid it wouldn't fall, and it certainly wouldn't slap down, but if they push it far enough, eventually it will fall. This is my biggest complaint, for the price, It should be able to handle very heavy loads (considerably competitor products cost about 1/4 or 1/5 as much). I do think it is a very attractive mechanism and looks really cool when it operates, so overall I think it is still a nice product.

I intend to install a second stop on the other side of my chest to see if I get better performance. Paying almost $60 for these stops seems a little absurd, but I want something safe and good looking when I'm all done.
on February 18, 2016
This works exactly as advertised, so it's important to check the weight of the lid in order to estimate how many hinges you require. I purchased 3 hinges for two antique chests repurposed for toys. Prior to installation, the doors would slam shut with enough force to severely damage a young child's fingers. After installation they slowly close without any noise, even a turtle would have time to move!

Four stars because as others have said, the directions aren't really helpful. I used the measurements that were listed, but the hinge arm prevented the door from fully closing the last 1/2". I removed the screws from the bottom end of the hinge and moved it forward and down about 1/2" allowing the hinge arm to fully extend; it worked perfectly.

I will update if this product fails to perform.
on January 14, 2013
I bought this for my son to fix an old toy box and he thought I was nuts (as usual) that I only got one. The lid was plywood and only weighed about 7 pounds and this hinge worked like a charm. The lid went down ever so slow and would never crush the babies fingers.
on April 29, 2016
To be fair the blanket chest had a pretty large and heavy lid. We installed it as far back as I thought we could which someone said they did after installing it forward and it not holding the lid all the way down. I didn't order a second lid support which might have done the trick. The good thing is that the lid never used to hold itself up and would have even fallen backwards and broken the hinges if you didn't hold it. Now, it holds itself up and with a tiny push it soft closes for about 6-8 inches, but then it will drop. The chest was at least 3 feet wide and 22 deep, made of pine. Since only adults are using it, it is ok but my chest lid could do damage to little hands.
on April 14, 2016
This is an excellent product that lives up to all the product claims in the sellers/manufacturers description. I'd recommend going to the Sugatsune (manufacturer) website and download the installation sheet, it comes with mounting templates. Also, it has more information based on the weight of the lid, to help you decide whether you will need 1 or 2 lid supports. This device may be installed on the left or right side of the lid. It is easy to install. The installation instructions lists three different sets of instructions depending the hinge type/location and lists mounting screw locating dimensions that may seem unreasonably precise to you. Do the best you can to get close to these dimensions and I'm sure everything will be OK. Soft Down Lid Support
on June 25, 2015
The product instructions were obviously not written for someone from the USA or someone with only 20/20 vision. They were tiny. All instructions are in mm or cm, no inches or feet. The drawing require a degree in engineering to figure out how to install and not a simple home do it yourselfer. The instruction telling how to hook it up to the two stable plates are detailed, but the directions on where to put those plates are non-existent. It took us several attempts to figure out how it was suppose to go and how it worked. My 55 year old toy chest now has several new holes because we had to assemble this by trial and error. It should have taken about 20 minutes and instead we spent nearly 90 minutes working on figuring out where to place the plates. That being said, the hinge, once I got it installed, worked as described.
on May 22, 2016
This is a quality hinge that admirably fulfills its objective of providing a slow-closing lid on a toy box or similar chest. The installation directions provided leave much to be desired though. Go to the manufacturer website and pull up the SDS-210 product description and download the "installation sheets" there. These include a template that will make the install much easier.
on February 6, 2016
These lid supports are perfect for the custom ornate toy boxes that I build. They are easily installed and provide a detente' position on open, and a safe easy close for little hands. The supports come with excellent guidance on installation and include an easy to follow guide to ensure they are appropriate for the size and weight of the lid you're using. I use two on the boxes I build and they work out just fine. These definitely exceeded my expectations.