- Audible Audiobook
- Listening Length: 3 hours and 57 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Abridged
- Publisher: Macmillan Audio
- Audible.com Release Date: October 18, 2011
- Language: English
- ASIN: B005WOFTQO
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
- #197 in Books > Audible Audiobooks > Politics & Current Events > Political History & Theory
- #1379 in Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Ideologies & Doctrines > Conservatism & Liberalism
- #1405 in Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Specific Topics > Commentary & Opinion
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Suicide of a Superpower: Will America Survive to 2025? Audiobook – Abridged
|New from||Used from|
|Free with your Audible trial|
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. Some have claimed this book touts racism. I saw the oppossite--an exposure of the forces that are creating racism and ethnicism. Buchanan shows by example, after example, after example how the entire world and our own country is disintegrating into racial, ethnic, and other divisions. He also convincingly argues that America's noble quest to share democracy with the world, may be the unwitting agent for the splintering of these groups! Be careful what you ask for!
2. Buchanan claims that Americans created their own exemplary identity, which came from the melting pot of many peoples and cultures into a uniquely American identity. From there, again with noble intent, we began to celebrate ethnic diversity, purposelfully disregarding the greatness of that diversity when it is fully baked into the whole, not kept diverse. So instead, we have fracturing society along those lines of diversification. Many statistics and examples that will alarm you. Now we may never again enjoy the greatness of a unified America. Be careful what you ask for!
3. Classical western society is also a form of heritage and ethnicity. Advanced beyond most other countries and regions, western society took on the noble responsibility to lead the way on key human issues. For example: The world's under population strain, right? Again, nobly, Western society has led the way by dramatically depopulating--the statistics will blow you away. But in so doing, we are 'extincting' our cultural group (and our leadership, and our experience, and whatever else the West has contributed to the world's development) and guess what: only a few other populations are following. The rest of the world's population is exploding and is already driven to spill across the borders of all the countries of the West. Be careful what you ask for.
4. Think American kids are falling behind the rest of the world's education? Not so. White American kids test scores beat the scores of the rest of the world's white kids; our black kids beat the world's black kids; and our Hispanic kids beat the world's Hispanic kids. Ever heard that? Those are racial statements, but not racist--they are just fact. It's what we do with those facts, not ideologue, that will determine what kinds of Americans we are. Given a chance, the U.S. system can bring out the best in everyone. If our disparate groupings buy into what's right with the U.S. system and culture, the American dream is reachable to every child.
...Unless we commit suicide first!
Thanks Pat, for one of today's most important books!
In this day and age, the relationship among nations must be about economic and cultural exchange, not about invasion, enslavement, subjugation, or indoctrination...etc. There's a land for every nation. The moment we will understand this will be the beginning of world peace.
This is a good message to America's enemies,as well as America itself.
A lot of the material is similar to what he discusses in some of his previous books. If you have only read one or two of those books, this criticism can probably be ignored (By the way, his best and most original book is "Churchill, Hitler, and "The Unnecessary War": How Britain Lost Its Empire and the West Lost the World." A great book)
I was somewhat annoyed by the last chapter where he lists steps that conservatives must implement to avoid "extinction:" Limits to illegal immigration (especially when unemployment is high), a border fence, no amnesty, Congress spelling out the correct interpretation of the 14th amendment, raiding businesses that employ illegals, and a constitutional amendment making English the official language in the United States. This is obvious and contributes little to the discussion.
The question to address is how these steps could possibly be accomplished. Their passage and enforcement would require support from Democrats (especially anything related to a Constitutional amendment or re-interpretation of the 14th amendment). Waiting for conservatives to control Congress and the Presidency is not a realistic option, at this time (not to mention three-quarters of the states approving the Constitutional amendments).
I can just picture Boehner and McConnell having lunch with Pelosi and Reid:
Boehner: "Hey guys, Mitch and I need your help on a little project of ours - a small favor."
Reid: "Sure, we'd love to help you, if we can."
Mitch: "It's really important. In fact, if you don't help us, the Republican party will go extinct."
Nancy: "My God, that sounds terrible. It's essential that America retain a two party system - you know, for checks and balances. How can we help?" Nancy smiles at Boehner and then adds with a wink, "You pay for lunch and we've got a deal!"