Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 forum

Suitable for Kids?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2013, 11:42:03 AM PDT
Tony A says:
I know nothing about this game, or any video game for that matter, but is this game suitable for 14 year old boys? My son wants it, so any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013, 12:21:31 PM PDT
Rampart82 says:
I'd probably say no. I'm 31 years old, and have played some of the most violent games out there, yet I was still disturbed by many of the scenes in this game. Remember that you can always get a summary of any game over at esrb.org.

Here's the link for GTA V; http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33073&Title=Grand%20Theft%20Auto%20V

I really enjoy playing this game but I'm not too sure it's appropriate for anyone under 17. There's a really disturbing torture scene and many of Trevor's (one of the game's playable characters) missions are really disturbing, both in dialog and actions taken by the character.

Posted on Oct 5, 2013, 4:37:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2013, 2:00:03 PM PDT
Casey Jane says:
I definitely would recommend that parents avoid buying GTA 5 for anyone under 15. There's a constant use of strong language, extreme violence as was mentioned above and satire that might go over some kids' heads. If you have a 16 or 17 year old that you think is mature enough to handle and get some of the darkness and humor, then go ahead and buy the game. But this is a game I personally wouldn't buy for a 12 or 13 year old.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013, 5:01:50 PM PDT
Rampart82 says:
I think you accidentally went double negative on your first sentence; "I definitely wouldn't* recommend that parents avoid* buying GTA 5 for anyone under 15.".

Just thought I'd mention it since I was a little confused as to what you meant until I read the rest of your comment.

Posted on Oct 6, 2013, 1:58:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2013, 2:00:37 PM PDT
Casey Jane says:
Thanks for the correction. I didn't even notice until you told me.

Posted on Oct 7, 2013, 8:28:07 AM PDT
Savvy23 says:
The first scene of trevor's... That will pretty much sum up how graphic this game is. I'm in my mid 20s and I love it... But definitely for 18+ years.

Posted on Oct 7, 2013, 10:21:20 AM PDT
depends... do you live in a terrbile neighborhood and are their no dads to be found? If so, i'd let him play.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2013, 10:37:18 AM PDT
Rampart82 says:
Seeing as *he* is asking for *his son*, I'd go out on a limb and guess he's a dad...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2013, 9:26:08 AM PDT
right - but even the worst neighborhoods have exceptions...so again.. in da hood , sure - in nice area, no.

Posted on Oct 8, 2013, 11:12:07 AM PDT
FullMoon2015 says:
Your son is too young to play a "Mature" rated game, which the age restriction is "17+". Give it a few years and then by that time the game will be cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2013, 11:20:35 AM PDT
Rampart82 says:
It's not really restricted to 17+, it's just a recommendation. It's a parent's duty to figure out which games are ok for his kids to play. The esrb is just there to help guide parents with a quick summary of it's content. For example; If I have a son who is 15 or 16 and I feel he's mature enough to handle the content of an M rated game then I think about buying it for him.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2013, 11:34:44 AM PDT
FullMoon2015 says:
I agree. My comment was a little flawed, but you basically stated what I intended.

Posted on Oct 8, 2013, 3:05:14 PM PDT
Graphic sex scenes with main characters (Trevor)
Graphic Sex with prostitutes.
Strippers who give the player topless dances.
Strong and constant use of drugs.
Graphic, wanton violence.
Implied homosexuality.
All manner of usage of racial slurs.
Morally questionalbe situations of every color.
Human torture.
I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface...but you get the general idea. This is NOT a game for young children regardless of what anyone tells you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2013, 3:14:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2013, 3:14:59 PM PDT
FullMoon2015 says:
Yes, but there are parents out there that will just buy it for their kid no matter what because they don't care about the rating. Their kid wants the game the kid throws a tantrum and then he gets what he wants. That's usually how it happens. Bad things can happen from there.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2013, 3:39:01 PM PDT
Rampart82 says:
"Graphic Sex with prostitutes."

I disagree. They make some noises but it's not really graphic. Sure they grind a little or the prostitute is seen bobbing her head but there is zero nudity. The violence in this game is definitely extreme but the nudity is really minimal. The only nudity I have come across is the strip club (topless), The playboy mansion (topless), skinny dipping at night (of course topless) and a few exposed butts.

The ESRB's summary states "Nudity is present, however, primarily in two settings: a topless lap dance in a strip club and a location that includes male cult members with exposed genitalia in a non-sexual context." yet I have never come across the cult members with exposed genitalia. Is that the altruistic cult?

Posted on Oct 8, 2013, 3:43:15 PM PDT
Rampart82 says:
Many of my neighbors' kids seem to be playing this game and their probably between the ages of 9-13. It's more than a little disturbing when a 10 year old asks if you have visited the strip club.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2013, 3:52:07 PM PDT
FullMoon2015 says:
That is very interesting then. Why is the game rated strictly "Nudity" and not "Partial Nudity"? Topless should categorize under "Partial Nudity" in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2013, 3:58:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2013, 3:58:54 PM PDT
Rampart82 says:
Usually video games are rated more harshly than movies or television. I'm guessing it's because it's interactive and people still have the misconception that video games are just for kids. New media is always blamed for society's problems, before it was TV and music and even books at one time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2013, 4:17:37 PM PDT
FullMoon2015 says:
The same goes for Far Cry 3. The game is rated for "Nudity" and "Strong Sexual Content". You wake up and that girl (forgot her name) is on top of you making very lame moaning sounds while topless. That "sex scene" lasts for about 5 seconds and then she gets up. The rating board made it look worse than it really is. It should be rated for "Partial Nudity" and "Sexual Content".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2013, 9:54:25 PM PDT
Darkestblue says:
No, this isn't a game for teens. It is a game about crime basically and mostly illegal things. The language is super funny but not something you want your kids walking around quoting. A lot of people trust their kids to be able to handle the content but I would strongly advise against it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013, 5:58:39 AM PDT
I would say no. It is ultra-violent, and players are encouraged to torture (literally) and kill for no real reason. There is also a ton of swearing and excessive drug use.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013, 7:26:46 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 9, 2013, 7:32:00 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013, 7:35:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2013, 8:00:06 AM PDT
True. But in those situations, who is the adult? I am 32 years old. When I was 12 or 13, I would never have dared acted that way in front of my parents or grandparents. When they said no, that was the end of the discussion. They did not negotiate with their children. They set the rules and if I broke them, I got whipped. (Although, for the late 1980's to early 1990's, "whipping" is a kind term.) If I went over to a friend's house, and did something wrong, we would both get whipped by their parents, then I would receive a second whipping from my parents. By today's standards, this may seem harsh but there is no doubt that there was a time that when rules were set in a household by the ADULT, the CHILDREN obeyed. I just can't see in my mind where any parent could Google ANY game in the GTA series history, look at the comments, reviews and controversy, and think that it was in any way, shape, form or fashion proper for a child under the age of 18. Regardless of the fit that they threw. I would want to think that the parents would stuck to their guns with things like this and not give into a child who has almost no idea what it is that they are truly watching. Maybe I'm just naive. When I was 15, for example, I saw Robocop and thought it was cool. I thought I understood the film. But when I watched it again as an adult, I realized that my supposed understanding of the movie was akin to seeing an iceburg on the surface of the ocean. There is a lot under the surface of that film that children and tweens simply would not catch or fully understand. But, i'm rambling, and at the end of the day, I suppose it is ultimately up to the parent. I just hope that parent has some backbone.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013, 7:48:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2013, 7:51:37 AM PDT
I attempted to reply to your comment by citing examples of what I was referring to, but it was immediately deleted by Amazon. Weather this was because of the spoilers involved or the graphic nature of the content I do not know. But, nevertheless, since I can't give a "play-by-play" as to why this game is bad in this forum, I can say that, without a shadow of a doubt, there is nothing about the GTA franchise that is geared towards children. Even the game's first five lines of opening dialogue between Michael and his shrink are laden with swears and sexual references. Now, if this is something that others would allow their children to partake in, then to each his own. But I, however, would not dare. Nor would I allow my friends to do so with their children. When I worked for GameStop some nine years ago, I was a true advocate of the ESRB rating. And I had no qualms with warning parents. You would be surprised how many parents walk blindly or unknowingly into games like this just to turn around and be upset that nobody informed them.

Posted on Oct 9, 2013, 7:52:47 AM PDT
Tony A says:
Ok..I just wanted to say "Thank You" to everybody who took time to reply to my question about this. Your input is really appreciated.....and from what I see, there is no way my son is getting this game! Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

This discussion is about
Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360
Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 by Rockstar Games (Xbox 360)
4.5 out of 5 stars (4,347)