|Print List Price:||$7.97|
Save $3.98 (50%)
The Summer of Annah: A Midsummer's Wish (Contemporary women's fiction Book 1 in The Seasons of Annah Series) Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Magical realism ensues as the author casts her spell on the reader to abandon skepticism and embrace the magic of love, while realistically drawing upon Annah’s misgivings for entering a new romantic relationship based on her track record of two abusive relationships which still stalk her.
Ms. Clemant infuses vivid description which places the reader in the immediate vicinity of her characters. She interjects backstories in just the right increments and interludes so as not to interrupt the flow of the story, but rather add credence and complexity to her characters. Annah’s earth-witch susceptibility to interpreting dreams and telltale signs imparted by Mother Nature were believable in conveying dark and dangerous omens. Ribald humor and witty dialogue exchange added to my reading pleasure.
Herein, lie my disillusions:
1. Sprinkles of edits throughout the story. However minor, a few impeded my reading flow.
2. The third-person narrative voice hindered true introspection on the part of Annah.
3. Eric Ashworth was hard for me to take—too much gallantry and definitely too much self-restraint in the loins. Too good to be true.
4. With all the sexual tension ebbing and rising, ebbing and rising—the couple of love scenes in the book were less than magical—too flash-in-the pan and vague. Instead of sighing, I ended up shrugging.
5. I thought the son’s reactions were too extreme and flip-floppish for me to buy into. It made me lose respect for Annah who seems to follow her heart only if granted permission.
These misgivings did not detract from the story as a whole. They certainly do not take away from the author’s cleverness and creativity in telling a spellbinding story of magical realism.
While all this is happening, a sinister ex comes into the picture who makes her new relationship problematic and forces her to finally take a stand but will this bout of courage cost her more than she's prepared to give?
Although the start was kind of slow for me, The Summer of Annah ended up being a solid read. It showed unconventional relationships, older woman/younger man, a gay couple, and touched on the paranormal in a realistic way. I found the author's description and emotion vary emgagomg. The interaction between the characters was relatable and I found the hairs on my arms tingle in some areas, smiling as some of the passages reminded me of some of the romances I read from author's like Laura London or Johanna Lindsey, only for a contemporary audience. You got to see the relationship grow and Eric sort o sweeps your heart away too.
The only disappointments I had were the short love scenes. I mean, I'm not asking for Fifiy Shades of Gray or anything, just a little more. At least one of the love scenes should have taken us further. I also wasn't keen on the ending. It shows the promise of a new beginning but fell flat to my expectation after all the build up.
I do like that Annah finally took control of her life though, in more ways than one.
Most recent customer reviews
I enjoyed the main plot of the older woman meeting the man of her dreams in a younger man in this book quite a bit, but for me, there was too much...Read more
about an older woman and a younger man. I was captivated all the way through.Read more
First book I have read for this author but I for sure not disappointed.Read more
I was completely caught up in this romance.Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Contemporary Women
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Magical Realism
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Women's Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Romance