BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Summer Birds: The Butterflies of Maria Merian
Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 23, 2014
I discovered Maria Merian when looking for women botanists to share with my students. I was shocked to find out that Maria Merian was an amazing artist and scientist with a great story. This book captivated my students. Well written and illustrated.
on June 26, 2015
I am sending this to our Granddaughters in July. I fell in love with it and shared it with friends. The illustrations are just beautiful and the story of a brave young girl who did her research and discovered how the butterflies perpetuate is a wonderful example for young girls. Our Granddaughters are 5 and 8. One wants to be scientist so I am sure she will identify with the story. I loved the name Summer Birds for butterflies. I also learned interesting facts from this book.
on July 17, 2015
I use this to teach insect metamorphosis in grades 3-5. It's a true story, and shows the value of critical thinking, making observations and inferences, and creating notebook entries. The illustrations are incredible.
on July 14, 2016
Really beautiful illustrations in a book about science, and a female scientist, but written in a fun and entertaining way. My girls love it!
on March 20, 2017
Lovely book to inspire curiosity in a child. Thanks!
on December 21, 2016
Love the illustrations and story. 5 year old enjoys this one.
on April 1, 2011
SUMMER BIRDS was nominated for the 2011 Rodda Book Award sponsored by the Church and Synagogue Library Association (CSLA), an international organization serving congregational libraries of all faiths. CSLA's Rodda Award is named for Dorothy Rodda Sargent, a lifetime member and one of the founders of the organization. This award recognizes a book which exhibits excellence in writing and has contributed significantly to congregational libraries through promotion of spiritual growth. The award is given to books for adults, young adults, and children on a three-year-rotational basis. The 2011 Rodda Award focuses on books for children and this year's award will be presented at the CSLA annual conference to be held at the Hilton Embassy Row Hotel in Washington,D.C., July 19-22. To learn more about CSLA and the Rodda Award go to [...].
on January 2, 2017
Purchased as a Christmas gift. The recipients loved it.
on February 2, 2017
Beautiful Illustrations
on February 27, 2017
I wanted to love this book about a woman I admire. However,the art work is not my favorite, though I am sure my younger grandchildren will enjoy the book.