Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Original Summer Bridge Activities, Bridging Grades 2 - 3
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon October 1, 2013
Since kindergarten, my children have worked their way through a lot of workbooks from a variety of educational resources such as School Zone,Sylvan,Teacher Created Resources and Rainbow Bridge.

Carson-Dellosa's Summer Bridge workbooks are an excellent way to keep your young scholar engaged in a learning routine during summer vacation. A unique feature of these books is its whole child approach that incorporates both mental, physical and character training as part of the lesson plan.

For instance, besides the problems, drills, and assessments, each of the three monthly sections also features a place to write "Monthly Goals." This page is followed by a discussion and practical application of the importance of physical exercises representing "Flexibility", "Strength" and "Endurance" such as stretching, lifting and running. Finally, the character section asks your young scholar to role play real-life situations based on a prompt.

Your child can handle the skills and drills part of the workbook on their own. The goals, exercises and character components, though, should be collaborative time in which you both explore their special place in the world. Those personal teachable moments are what make this a valuable addition to your workbook library.
on June 19, 2013
I have mixed feelings about this series. First of all, as far as the way the books are laid out, I like them. There's a nice mix of reading and math or grammar and math and/ or writing.

However, I think the material in the books are WAY off and FAR too easy. If the idea is to give them busywork, then I guess they've done their job. If the idea is to keep their brain working, remembering what they've worked on during the year, and extending it a bit, then they do NOT do their job. I am for the latter. There is WAY too much review from the current year (but the review is too easy!) and not enough of newer/ harder material for the grade level it is supposed to be for. I ALWAYS purchase one grade above what my girls are actually entering. For example, my entering 3rd grader did this book last year upon entering 2nd grade. I now purchased the grade 3 - 4 book for her upon entering 3rd grade. This one would be far too easy. It has way too many easy math problems. Things like that are what the first 2/3 of the book consists of. It doesn't present any newer 3rd grade topics until you reach the 3rd section of the book... by the end of the summer, we usually don't get to that section b/c summer is too short and we are starting to get ready to get back to school already.

On another note, my entering 1st grader will do these books, but they are definitely NOT her favorite ones. (The colorful Hooked On Phonics ones are her favorite.) My entering 3rd grader HATES these books with a passion. These books need more exciting colors and pictures to keep their interest. Even though I purchased one of these books for her this summer, she has refused to do it b/c, according to her, "they are BORING". She would rather do pages in the Brain Quest book (again, lots of colors and silly pictures).

We are on our 2nd week of summer vacation and I have a feeling I am going to return this book. Next summer, I have a feeling we will NOT be purchasing this series.
on February 27, 2016
more than satisfied with this! we are doing a homeschool summer curriculum so this was a great used investment and I would've even paid more for it because it is that great! it was in excellent condition. the book has made it so easy for me to make daily lesson plans. I go by what is on this sheet for the day and find corresponding worksheets and teaching materials. this is more of a busy work and easier activities but that is absolutely fine because as I already stated it can be used in correspondence with other worksheets there for it will give my children a way to easily review at the end of their homeschooling day. I would recommend this.
on October 15, 2015
We love all the summer bridge activities books. This one was wonderful. It is the 2nd to 3rd grade bridge. It has 20 activities per month for three months with bonus activities. Not only does this book cover math and reading/writing, it also covers science, social studies and includes a physical exercise for the week. I love that it is so well rounded. And it is also well organized. It has 1 page (front and back) per day with a variety of activities.

With vacations and such mixed in, we didn't get to finish all the activities in the book. My kids actually did their "summer work" first thing in the morning. They looked forward to it and quizzed each other. And believe me school work is usually something my boys avoid at all costs.

I would definitely recommend getting this book for your kids to bridge over the summer.
on August 5, 2014
Summer 2014 and my kids are "completing" 1-page a day. They HATE it! It's not the books fault I think the book is definitely revisiting what they learned last school year and touching upon concepts they will learn in the upcoming school year. I recommend any parent that is trying to keep the brain cobwebs from showing up over the summer to give this book a try. Honestly, I haven't done any of the projects, but we haven't had the time. Plus, the kids want to get it done and go play. If you are going to stick to the 1-page a day schedule then I think this book is a good purchase. If, as a parent, you are too busy to check that the kids are doing the workbook and then checking for correctness, then don't purchase this workbook you'll waste your money. It's been hard to keep up with checking the work and then teaching them the concepts being conveyed, but some brain work is better than no brain work. Last summer they didn't have this type of brain work and they had they struggled the first 1/2 of the school year.
on August 9, 2014
Much of the work was too easy for my son. I ended up purchased the 3rd grade workbook for him because he will be entering 3rd grade in September. I would not purchase the summer series in the future.
on September 24, 2014
These books are a great way to keep your kids from loosing all the knowledge they have learned throughout the school year. I use them every summer, and for my son that came in right when Common Core was just starting in our schools I've actually done the year ahead for him, and it seems like he's always better prepared and he can handle the challenge with a little guidance.
on December 27, 2014
Great books for summer to keep your kids in the groove of school work. Relevant to what they have learned, good for review. I like the stickers to put on each completed page. Takes 15 minutes or less a day & it keeps their minds fresh so when they head back to school they haven't had 2-3 months of no learning.
on August 11, 2013
It is a known fact that children lose some of the skills during the summer months, so with that in mind, I decided to get my 8 year old grandson a summer activity book. I put a great deal of thought into which book would be best. These bridge activities seemed grade appropriate and pretty comprehensive. My daughter and grandson both like the book and he works on it during the week for about an hour/day.
on July 21, 2014
This series is our favorite workbook series for use outside of school. It has a nice mix of reading/language/math/science so you don't have to buy multiple books to cover these subjects. I will use them every summer.