Let me start by stating I have never used a roto-tiller before so I do not have anything to compare it to. I purchased this item because I needed to reseed a 50 x 50 area of my lawn that had been taken over by crabgrass. After working a short time with a rake I decided to purchase a roto-tiller to do the job. I typically am one that likes gas operated equipment and high end equipment. however being that I was only going to use it infrequently I felt a gas operated tiller may not be best because of long term non-use. After reading reviews of several I decided to purchase this unit.
First, because of the current rating (12 amps) I purchased a 12/3 extension cord with unit. Most extension cords will not handle the current for this device. I would highly recommend you do same. The unit comes in 3 pieces and assembles quickly. The weight of unit is manageable and should not present issue with most users. To start with I would like to say I was quite impressed. Although my yard is not very rocky it made short work of cutting thru the weeds and hard packed soil. I started with the adjustment at the greatest depth and quickly realized it was to much. The unit easily dug a hole and buried itself. After readjustment I found a setting that dug a depth to about 4 to 6 inches. The unit was very manageable at this depth. Deeper depths require more effort to get thru the "mounded" soil it creates. When the unit did encounter rocks it easily pulled it them out. Several where in the 4"-5" range. I would estimate that it took about 45 to 60 minutes to do the 50' x 50' area. I did not work continuously, I stopped on occasion to allow the unit to cool and rake to the area previously done. I allowed the unit to cool only because of others comments that they "burnt" out there unit. Quite honestly I think it would have been fine to do this entire area without stopping. However I should note that long weeds/grass do wrap around the shaft. You should clear them occasional (see attached video) to keep them from cutting into the transmission seal and/or binding the unit up. I suspect this may have been the cause of the previously mentioned reports of units burning up. I would also add others suggested using hose clamps at the handle connections to make the unit more rigid. I tightened my handles with a wrench and found this not to be necessary. I gave it five stars not to indicate its the best tiller ever just that it performed at or better than expected/advertised.