Truck Reviews Beauty Audible Mel Robbins Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on December 28, 2013
Everyone who sees this in my car asks me about it. They all think it's genius and they all wish they had one. I tell them where i got it. This is my second purchase of the same item, because my first one broke. If they could find a way to make the clips a bit more flexible, out of a higher quality plastic this would be amazing.

It helps me a ton during sun glare periods of the day. Other people struggle to see, and cover their eyes, or lose sight by using their visors.. I just drive without an issue. The little slider of extra coverage is a waste though, because unless you are driving in a completely straight line, this won't block anything for more than a half second or so at a time.

Fix the clips, and you have a near perfect product. I wish each car manufacturer in the world had a slide out glare guide that could come down from the visor. it's a HUGE help in keeping me safe while driving.
6 people found this helpful
on January 20, 2008
The Sun Zapper is a good example of a good product idea gone bad due to a cheap manufacturing process. I guess I was expecting to much from a product that only cost around $15.00 to $19.00. My main disappointment was the poor optical quality of the amber plastic sun shield. The first time I used my Sun Zapper I pulled it down into position to block the late afternoon sun only to see a sort of wavy, slightly distorted, slightly soft image of the road ahead. It reminded me of a very cheap pair of sunglasses or some very cheap window tint plastic material. All of these optical defects are amplified by the strong backlight of the sun on the amber shield.
This could have been a great product if they had a higher price point and used a near optically clear grade of amber colored plastic. SORRY, BUT I CAN'T RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT.
233 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on June 3, 2014
As others have said, this is not made from optically-correct plastic. The distortion in mine isn't too bad... it's certainly not a hazard. It doesn't hide anything on the road, and it's not at all difficult to tell where things are. It's just not what I'm used to from a device intended to be looked through.

I've had it for a couple weeks now, and the clips have held up just fine, the extra panel slides smoothly, and it flips in and out of position with no problem.

My remaining complaints:
1) it's a bit smaller than I'd like (a limitation to fit so many different visors, I suppose)
2) it has about a half-inch gap between the plastic and the sun visor, where the sun ALWAYS seems to be these days -- I'm always slouching to get it to block the sun for me.
3) the extra panel is usually in the way. It's not convenient enough to remove/replace while driving.
4) the nature of the device's geometry and the way light bounces around inside plastic means when I have it put away, some of the sunlight it collects gets refracted right into my face. It works a little bit like a fiber optic -- sun hits the surface, bounces around internally, and comes out the edges. Since the edges are so nicely rounded, it's evenly distributed over a 180-degree arc. No matter how it's pointed, some light will get you in the eye. Nowhere near as intense as the straight sun itself, but still, an annoyance.
5) it's fixed in position to the sun visor. I've never had a car where the sun visor blocked the low sun more than about 50% of the time. It always seems to be just out of reach of the visor. Too far back on the side window, where the visor's too short to get, or between the two visors, above the rear view mirror. If you have that problem too, understand this will do nothing to help you. It can only hang directly below the visor. If it could slide on a rail to extend the reach of the visor, they'd really have something.

I'm 6 feet tall, and sit with the driver's seat all the way back. Most of the time, the roof of the car blocks the sun just fine. Only rarely am I driving directly into the sun; my evening drive home to the west snakes north and south enough that the sun blasts me through the side window and above the rear view mirror as much as it hits me head-on. In my case, sunglasses make a much bigger difference on glare, and what's left is mostly the sun reflecting off of my white shirt into my eyes. If you're not very sensitive to sun (don't usually wear sunglasses) and have to deal with the sun right over the road in front of you, especially if you're shorter and could use a vertical extension on the visor, this could be perfect for you. I hardly use it at all, myself.
on August 31, 2012
The reason for buying this sun shield is to use it as a supplement to standard vehicle sun visors. Example: when the setting sun is slightly below a fully deployed car visor.

The optical quality of this clear sun shield is horrible; making everything from roads, signs, and other vehicles distorted.

The method I've devised while using this Sun Zapper is to angle the car's visor with this clear shield extended just enough to shield direct view into the sun but still leave a clear area underneath to see traffic conditions ahead. I had to experiment with the settings to get it just right.

The small sliding dark shield supplement is good only when driving a straight course otherwise it requires constant readjustments to shield the sun; that can be distracting.

The Sun Zapper's mount is secure but causes some squeaks and rattles when tucked underneath the car's visor.

Overall: An OK supplement to car's visor and quality sunglasses in providing an additional protection to block out direct view into the sun which can damage the retinas and cause cataracts later in life. NOT recommended for direct viewing of traffic due to severe view distortion. For $15.63, I didn't expect too much.
One person found this helpful
on March 19, 2014
This is a dangerous device! First it distorts your vision and field of view, second it does NOT block glare like sun glasses, third it is distracting and can cause you to get into an accident, fourth when you enter the driver seat the sharp plastic catch you head and give you a nice cut on your forehead.

Additionally the design has changed from the product you actually receive! There is a large gap between the lens and the visor that allows direct sunlight to penetrate between the cracks.

Look folks bottom line this is an inferior product, do not waist your money buy a cheap pair of sunglasses
2 people found this helpful
on January 26, 2008
This visor-extender is a good idea, but the two problems I found in MY sample were very distressing. The Darker of the two pieces slides smoothly and easily, but it does NOT ever disappear- you are forced to see it at all times. It should be either removable, or at least flippable to reduce the distraction. The second problem, possibly just in MY sample, is the severe distortion in the plastic. The waviness was very distracting, almost hiding smaller items in the line of sight. I hope the rest of the stock is of a better Optical quality, to soothe the eyes and to protect the driver from the glare and brightness that tends to attack the eyes and the driver's brain!
85 people found this helpful
on July 4, 2013
This idea is great and I had high hopes. But when you pull down the tinted panel, there is a big gap between the car visor and the new addition (typically right where the glare is!) The tinted panel does cut down on some of the glare but very little and not really enough to make a real difference. The additional sliding piece is absolutely worthless given the width of field in which our two eyes work, and I found it such a distraction that I took it off almost immediately. Thought it might work out ok without the little slidey part, but after about 6 weeks, I found the whole item to be more distracting than helpful. I would encourage the manufacturer to take it back to the drawing board and improve upon the idea. there is certainly a need.
4 people found this helpful
on October 24, 2014
When driving into direct sun, the light makes a burst off hundreds of otherwise invisible nicks if your windshield is anything but very new. This sun visor does nothing to block those bursts; it's literally no different than NOT having a visor except you now have a gold tint as if you’re looking through sunglasses. So that might be a benefit — if you drive where it's snowy or bright and don’t want to wear sunglasses, this visor would be nice. Me, I only wanted it for use when I’m blinded by driving into the direct sun and it does nothing to help with that. (It installed easily in my Honda Civic.)
on August 21, 2011
Conclusion: Will break after little use due to all-plastic construction, poor design, and an extremely tight fit. Just look for yourself at the picture of this product, and it is obvious where it will break - the little plastic tabs where the clamps are attached. On the other hand, this could work for you if you plan to leave it in one position permanently (no flipping it up or down).

The first time I bought this, it worked pretty well, but I noticed that it was pretty hard to flip down and back up. The plastic clamps turn on thin plastic tabs that serve as axles. As you flip it down, you can hear the groan of plastic on plastic due to a very tight fit, and you can feel the stress being put on each of the plastic tabs. I could already see that one would eventually snap off, but I hoped it would be a while. Well, the problem got worse in the summer as the fit was so tight it seemed locked into position, I assume due to expansion of the plastic. With a week or so, one of the plastic axles broke off as I tried to flip the visor down.

But way before this, the small plastic square lens that you can slide to cover the sun fell completely off. When I examined it closer, I saw practically the only thing holding it on was tension. Even new, if you press on it gently it will pop off, but after just a little wear it will not stay on at all.

Perhaps a fool, I bought another one thinking I could take some preventative steps to make it last longer. I reinforced the axles at their weak point with eight layers of packaging tape. I put globs of grease on them too, as well as shaved some of the plastic off to loosen the fit. But nothing trumps bad design. A couple of months into the summer an axle broke off. I had probably only used it a dozen times total. It lasted even shorter than the first one by a long shot.
on April 15, 2010
I read all the reviews on this sun visor; clearly you either liked it or hated it. Since I needed something to block the glare on the drive home I bought this. I am not disappointed. I wouldn't want a pair of sunglasses made out of this plastic, but I have no trouble seeing through it. That wave distortion everyone talks about is there, but it's not that bad and if I have the visor down and not angled it's almost imperceptable. I have a slender sun visor in my car so the clips on this glare screen slide on just fine. It cuts down the glare and that's what I wanted. If I were the maker of this product I would improve the screen, perhaps a good sunglass material with no distortion? I also like the slidable sunspot blocker. So overall, not perfect but not terrible and I like this product!
5 people found this helpful