Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on November 10, 2011
...into thinking that the "raw" almonds that I was purchasing from Whole Foods and my local grocery co-op were indeed RAW. That was before I saw online several weeks ago that the U.S. government declared that all almonds grown in California are required to be pasteurized, however they could still be advertised as "raw." I discovered that any actual raw almond had to come from outside the United States. I then began to search online to find where I could buy some REALLY raw almonds and checked Amazon out. The three positive reviews that I read on the Sunfood almonds were enough to make me take a chance on them, and am I ever glad I did. When they arrived at my door, I anxiously opened the package to find out what a real raw UNPASTEURIZED almond tasted like, and WOW, what a difference! They actually have the taste of an almond extract. I soaked two cups of the almonds overnight to make almond milk the next morning, and it was absolutely incredible. Three medjool dates, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a dash of cinnamon produced the most amazing almond milk I ever made or drank. No more buying so-called "raw" almonds from Whole Foods or my local co-op.
55 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 8, 2011
These were the best almonds I have ever tasted in my life. In fact, I remember thinking "so this IS what an almond tastes like?!" I love almond flavoring and amaretto flavorings but I never associated that taste with the taste of actual almonds...because almonds didn't taste that way. THESE DO. They are so good!
on February 23, 2012
These almonds are remarkably different (better) than those sold in the local stores (like whole foods). They are larger than the U.S. ones and definitely raw. I love how they taste! The skin peels slightly harder out of them, after an overnight soak; I guess it's because they were not heated before. Highly recommend them.
on August 7, 2011
I am very pleased with the purchase of these almonds and with the seller. It's great to be able to get unpasturized almonds from somebody and it is a real shame that to get unpasturized almonds they have to be imported due to crazy laws in the United States
on May 6, 2012
These are hands down the finest almonds I have ever had. I soak them in clean filtered water for a few hours and the outer skin comes off with a single swipe - inside lies a tender, sweet, fresh morsel full of life. My kids adore them as well. Thank you Sunfood!
on November 15, 2012
UPDATE 11/16/2012: I contacted Amazon about the almonds and indicated it was up to them if they wanted to reimburse me since I had opened the package and subsequently thrown the nuts away. They responded in less than 12 hours and said I would be getting a full refund. Great service!!!

Based partly on good reviews and my excellent experience with Sunfood in the past, I ordered these nuts and received them today.

Before I rightly slam the product, I know Sunfood normally has great products with excellent quality control. I don't blame them so much that this was a nasty product because they don't have but so much control on a product that comes from Italy. I do blame them for putting a stale product on the market.

I got about an ounce of the almonds to eat with some Greek yogurt and a couple of bananas. The first ones I ate were obviously stale and had absolutely no taste to them....very bland.

The really bad part came after I had eaten about half of them and got either one or two nuts that had a sharp, sour taste (rancid) to it, or them. I just spit it out and threw the rest of the bag in the trash.

I would not take a chance on these almonds.
on February 4, 2013
The almonds themselves are delicious. The main concern I have is that this package did not have the "Do not irradiate" sticker on it. Also, there is no USDA Organic on the package. I am guessing this is because the package came from overseas. I would buy these almonds again though.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 26, 2013
These nuts are really good. They are fresh and tasty, nothing like store bought almonds, and loaded with nutrients. I will never go back to store bought almonds. I'm so glad I have found these nuts that are un-pasturized in their natural form...the way nature intended!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 24, 2012
Maybe it was just the bag I got but I found that about 1 of 20 were rancid. I understand that there's a good chance that some of them will go bad but I only had them for a few days and I feel 1/20 is far too many especially since I keep them in the fridge. Also, I feel that the taste is very inconsistent. I know that each almond can't possibly taste exactly the same but I feel as if some are just slightly rancid which make them taste very odd.
on December 6, 2012
WOW! I can't believe I finally found truly raw almonds! YUM!
Whats up with the negative comments? Please do your research about raw nuts before leaving a negative comment.

Raw nuts are one food that everyone seems to agree are very healthy to eat!

Whether you be a vegan, vegetarian, paleo, or someone who eats the standard American diet of burgers and fries, raw nuts are one food that all acknowledge is a good addition to the diet.

Here's where the agreement about raw nuts ends.

Raw nuts are Seeds

While raw nuts are an extemely nutritious food, preparation is key in order to unlock maximum nutrient potential and to deactivate any substances that could be irritating to the gut.

The careful preparation to be followed is in accordance with the wisdom of Traditional Cultures. This is because raw nuts are seeds and as such, their hulls contain many enzyme inhibitors that can prevent all that wonderful nutrition from being digested thoroughly. These inhibitors can also cause digestive distress if many raw nuts are consumed. For some people, even a few raw nuts cause digestive distress.

Deactivation of these inhibitors can be accomplished through sprouting or soaking the raw nuts in salt water for a few hours and then drying in a warm (not hot) oven or dehydrator.

Eating almonds the wrong way, you could miss out on all its health benefits. It can further harm your digestive system. All the health benefits of almonds can be reaped optimally only when they are first soaked in water/sea salt and then consumed. Soaking almonds neutralizes the phytates and releases nutrients from the nut, thus making it a delicious snack that can be combined with a variety of food items for taste as well as nutrition.

A number of health benefits of eating soaked almonds can be enlisted, some of which are as follows.

Improves Digestion

When almonds are soaked in water/sea salt an enzyme inhibitor is released from its skin, which is basically instrumental in protecting the seed until it gets moisture to germinate.

The release of this enzyme inhibitor helps in better nutrient availability in the almonds, thus making them easier to digest.

Also, soaking the nuts in water seasalt is the only way to release the enzyme lipase that helps in digestion of fats.

The general rule of thumb for soaking nuts is to use 1 TBL quality sea salt for every 4 cups raw, hulled nuts mixed with enough filtered water to cover. Soak 12 hours for pecans, walnuts, peanuts, 7 hours for almonds and macadamias, and no more than 4-6 for cashews (else they will get slimy).

Hope this was helpful.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.