Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on November 25, 2012
I am disappointed. I was a few chapters into the book reading persuading efforts for the reader to take a look at Buddhism. This should have been stated in the description or in the title. It seems that there is an alternate motive for writing this book other than to educate the reader about the brain. I have become disgusted and thrown the book out. In a Bhudda is a Super Hero section in chapter 3, you are suggested to challenge your core beliefs.

Shame on you for using this book as a missionary system and stealing my money.
5150+ comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 23, 2012
The book pretends to be a "manual for the brain" and is full of common sense advice like"try new things".
It the uses anecdotal evidence for may of its most important statement such as "prevent Alzheimers by exercising your brain", which is far from proven.

For me the most basic flaw is that they make an emphatic distinction between "Me, my consciousness" and "the brain".
It is never clear where "Me" resides; they make a point to say it is not part of the brain.
It all comes from both authors' acceptance of Buddhist and other mythical teachings.
They try (unsuccessfully, for me) to prove their point by a mixture of invalid logic, inappropriate similes, and anecdotal evidence.

If you are looking for a self-help book on a very basic level, it is that;
if you are looking for a state-of the-science update you will be disappointed.Super Brain
1313 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 2, 2012
After a couple of hours on my Kindle, I returned this book, and I use the word "book" very loosely here. To start, the first few pages are shameless advertising for Chopra's previous books. I bought this book based on Dr. Tanzi's credentials, PhD and Harvard professor and, hence, I expected state of the art research work to support some ground breaking new understanding of the human brain. Instead, I read page after page of simplistic philosophical old ideas. I am so disappointed that in the year 2012 we still have such a non-scientific "book". If you are interested in philosophy, this book is for you. On the other hand, if you are interested in the latest scientific discoveries in brain functions then save your time and money. I have never returned a book in my life, but this one is my first.
1212 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 16, 2014
Please allow me to be very concise and to the point. This book is a fraudulent waste of brain mass. It will not help you develop any "Superbrain" not even that of ants. It might help you publish some future rubbish and have it sell like hot cake. In all likelihood, it was not written by Deepak Chopra but is sold by his commercial machinery that specialize in writing and promoting his great books. I have read this painfully stupid book from cover to cover. Only the Lord knows how many brain cells I destroyed and mowed down in the process. Look at me now, I have to go for rehab.

At the end of the book I have lifted a quote from Deepak Chopra himself and here it is, just so that if you want to waste your life reading this nonsense, you have no one to blame but yourself. Here it is:

So, there you have a book written by at least three women ghost-writers (unmasked), who have no idea whatsoever of what they are talking about. I even think that these women outsourced the writing of this book to some unemployable mob of freelance writers, and then rag-tagged it together a collage of the worst bits of useless information. This Mash-up has such "new" information like, "do not harm any living thing" or things that your mother taught you from the age of two onward.

Do not buy this book. So low is the expectation of Deepak Chopra and Rudolph Tanzi of the American reader that they are willing to market a blatant useless and fraudulent book without more than just a bit of useful or important information, counting instead of the support of ghost-writers, a marketing machinery that includes shameless professional reviewers even before the 1st reader gets around to reading the "book" or Mash-up of useless information.

This Mash-up is divided into three sections:

Part 1: Developing your greatest gift

commentary: This is the part of the Mash-up that made me buy it, thinking it was an actual book. This part was at least supervised by Rudolph Tanzi because he is a neurology professor at Harvard, yet one would expect more. Say he was a regular guy who did his research then we would think, "Oh okay, some useful information here" but as his credentials are lengthy, this is such a letdown. In any case, I gained some insight from him so I can give it to you here & don't waste your time reading it: Studies have shown that the greatest finding this decade is that the brain can repair itself, can form neural networks to compensate when things go wrong, and can even form new brain. The size of the brain also does not matter very much, as there are studies showing that people who have hydrocephalus (water in the brain) can actually have very normal development with little brain mater. One of the things one need to do to keep your brain active is to engage it, exercise it and be adaptable as an outlook towards life and you will have your brain serving you for a long time. There you have it!

Part 2: Making Reality:

The rest of the Mash-up is a meandering tunnel into a dark alley of mental images of the unimaginable that borders on the paranormal.
Open to any page and you will not believe your eyes. Okay let me open to a random page and I promise you, I am not kidding, but here are examples:

page 156: "If you don't develop your intellect, it remains stuck in rudimentary thinking. This leads to superstition and falling prey to all kinds of faulty arguments. You become the pawn of influences from outside yourself...Your intellect is part of your birthright, which includes an insatiable need for meaning. You inherited intuition out of a different need that is just as powerful: the need for values. Right or wrong, good or bad, so basic that the brain is wired for them..."

(Okay, lets try another random page).
page 176: "To indulge in even one of these pointless kinds of suffering makes you far more vulnerable to bad things in general, since victimization, once it becomes a habit in the brain, restricts your responses. Unconsciously, you decide in every situation that you are chosen to take the brunt of trouble. That's a very dangerous and powerful expectation."
(Or common sense!)

Part 3: Mystery and Promise

In this part, the author is arguing with the reader as usual, "blabbing" about what one ought to do to be "good". He presents an idea of a God that is nice and universal and wants us to think like Buddha. How this grandiose imagery helps you to get a "Superbrain" is left to the imagination (no pun intended). In the last few pages, there is a passage one about "Consciousness", and there I find Rudolph Tanzi writing style again, but it does not turn things around in any way or save this book.

In summary, the writing shows different personalities; the theme is schizophrenic; the details rambling; the mainpoints straying from the topic in almost every other sentence.

I am sure I have read a few worse books than this, but please do not buy this book.

Anyway, that's the Mash-up! Good luck!
1010 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 29, 2014
Wow, the book started out great; it talked about feedback loops, something I've studied my whole life, so I related to it very well.

And then...

On page 24, the authors write: "The hippocampus takes its name from the Latin word for seahorse, which it resembles."

Oh. My. God. Seriously? Two super-educated medical doctors, who use Greek words daily in their science, and they think the word "hippocampus" is Latin?

Well, it's not. It's Greek: "ιππόκαμπος" means "sea horse" in Ancient Greek. It is composed of the words "ιππος" meaning "horse", and "καμπος" meaning "fish tail" (and not "sea monster", as many sources claim; it's just that sea monsters all had curvy fish tails).

If you don't believe me, check out the Encyclopaedia Britannica: [...]

Now I'm torn: should I keep reading? I mean, if the authors can make such an elemental mistake, how can I trust them with anything? Help...
1111 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Bestselling author and Physician Deepak Chopra and Harvard Professor Rudolph E. Tansi, combine their wisdom and knowledge to deliver an interesting, easy-to-read guide on how to use your brain, instead of allowing your brain to use you. Through extensive research, the authors present findings on how to achieve health, spiritual growth, and happiness. In addition, the medical experts explain their findings on how the brain can be taught to reach far beyond its capabilities, and limitations. In conclusion, the authors offer important information on what we were taught in the past, and new evidence through research of what we learned in present time. The interesting topics discussed are self-awareness, conscious intention, spiritual insights, and much more. Furthermore, fascinating findings are presented on anxiety, obesity, and depression. Overall, 'Super Brain' is interesting, educational, and enjoyable. Highly Recommended!
77 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 6, 2012
This is an incredibly written book on the most important topic in all of our lives, "The Human Brain." As, the book points out if you don't use your brain, it will use you! The book gives you tools you can use right away.

Most importantly it's written by two brilliant and forward thinking scholars. The first being, Deepak Chopra, M.D. a New York Time best-selling author and author of numerous books who's known around the world for his work on the brain, mind-body connection, consciousness, spirituality, and Quantum Physics.The second, Dr. Rudolph E. Tanzi a Harvard Professor who was a pioneer in Alzheimer's research and being one of the co-discoverers of the first Alzheimer's disease gene.

As quoted in the book "Every day you step into the invisible firestorm of electrical and chemical activity that is the brain's environment. You act as leader, inventor, teacher, and user of your brain, all at once.

As leader, you hand out the day's orders to your brain.
As inventor, you create new pathways and connections inside your brain that didn't exist yesterday.
As teacher, you train your brain to learn new skills.
As user, you are responsible for keeping your brain in good working order."

I have to say that this one is greatest books I've read on the topic of the brain because the two authors go extremely in-depth into the working of the brain, and they also give you tools that you can implement into your life today.

It's broken up into three parts. Here's a very basic summary.

Which goes into great detail about the latest advancements in science that explain how the brain functions. It also talks about the five myths of the brain.

This part gives you information and knowledge to literally work on changing your brain from negatives states of mind to positive states of mind.

I thoroughly enjoyed this part because its goes into the biggest idea in all of science. Something to which I'm fascinating with, the question being "How does this three pound brain produce consciousness?"

I think this is an incredible book that anyone can use to increase more positive states of mind. I've read hundreds of books on the brain and I think this one is one of the best because it gives you tools on how to work on changing your brain immediately.
44 comments| 424 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 18, 2013
Unfortunately, this is just another "HOW TO" book that gives the impression of presenting fresh ideas about the power of the brain that can make your life better. However, in reality, the book offers nothing more than a regurgitation of collected ideas that have already been thoroughly covered in many other publications and films regarding the subject matter. In my opinion, the book is poorly written and is extremely boring; its apparent focus on the power of positive thinking, meditation, et cetera, roams the path of religion that has nothing to do with real science. Furthermore, the authors fail to take into account the subtle influence the quantum world could have on a person's tendencies to behave in a certain way, under certain conditions, and in a variety of circumstances, which could make "free will" illusory and not necessarily or substantially subject to significant modification by the so-called "SUPER BRAIN".... In other words, e.g, you could practice the art of positive thinking and engage in cogitating the workings/functions of the brain until you're blue in the face, but they may not alter your genetically-determined self and all it implies. I expected to read about a riveting or startling discovery, especially considering the book's high selling price (nearly $30.00), but what I received turned out to be far from my expectation. The authors may have done their best, but quite honestly, their book doesn't deserve more than a one-star rating. For all of these reasons, I think "SUPER BRAIN" has been a waste of my money and time, and would not recommend it to anyone.
33 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 14, 2013
This book is boring and repetitive. You can summarize it in a few sentences. You have control and make your own reality through awareness. Mind and brain are seperate with the mind in the drivers seat. The mind is universal and is one with god and the universe. Instead of a book on the brain it was more on Buddhist philosophy. They tried using using quantum mechanics to show reality does not exist but having a background in physics I found it lame and that they knew little on the topic. The best part of the book is when I closed it.
If you like the spiritually and subjective this is a book for you but I created my reality on reason and not hoping enough to make fiction a reality.
33 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 10, 2015
I found the book very disappointing. The title and the blurb overhype the book and sound like marketingspeak. It is a lengthy book, and I started out diligently reading it but was later reduced to skimming through, looking for the important nuggets of information I could glean for my own understanding. My main problem is that I still don't understand how you unleash the "explosive" power of the superbrain. The book gives vague, general advice, most of it easier said than done, but there's no practical, down-to-earth advice on how to achieve the superbrain. The advice might make you a better, more self-aware person, which has its own rewards, but again I fail to see how this leads to a superbrain or getting everything you want in life. Some of the advice is understandable, like the benefits of exercise, diet, and stress management on the brain, but you can find that elsewhere. As someone with an illness, I read the chapter on the healing powers of the body hoping to find some information on how to nurture that, but the chapter was vague and inconclusive. It looked like the authors really didn't know, but don't purport to write a chapter on self-healing if you can't provide useful information. As for the overweight chapter, the reader would be better for with a diet book.

The book is chockfull of basic neuroscience, quantum physics, and self-help information, which I have read elsewhere, and I see the points the authors are trying to make, but, the book doesn't live up to the hype. For me, it created expectations that the book was unable to fulfill. I liked Dr. Chopra's book The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire and was thinking this book would be similar, but it's not. I didn't find this book original or satisfying. I feel gypped.
11 comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse