Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 542 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 605 reviews
on January 3, 2017
Starts off grounded in science, but then moves too far afield. For example, the distinction between the mind and the brain makes perfect sense as a model for their discussion, but towards the end of the book it treats that separation as a physical fact to show that a higher power must exist.

Beginning with the latest brain science in neuroplasticity the book convincingly shows that that we have the ability to influence our own brains and thus can improve our own well being.

The next part of the book moves from science to conjecture. At first making claims that seem reasonable. Claims that may very well be true, but are based on “wisdom traditions” rather than scientific evidence.

In last and most disappointing part of the book, it uses Ray Tallis’ false logic and straw man arguments to show that the mind cannot be contained within the brain and therefore there must be some sort of external power that drives our mind. It is ironic that there are examples elsewhere in the book that show how certain superstitions have been replaced with scientific understanding, yet when it comes to our mind being contained within the organ that is our brain, the authors leave no room for an enhanced scientific understanding that makes that possible.

Bottom line: The first part is informative and worth the read. The rest of the book provides an interesting theory, but not an evidence based conclusion as it seems to claim.
on November 6, 2012
This is an incredibly written book on the most important topic in all of our lives, "The Human Brain." As, the book points out if you don't use your brain, it will use you! The book gives you tools you can use right away.

Most importantly it's written by two brilliant and forward thinking scholars. The first being, Deepak Chopra, M.D. a New York Time best-selling author and author of numerous books who's known around the world for his work on the brain, mind-body connection, consciousness, spirituality, and Quantum Physics.The second, Dr. Rudolph E. Tanzi a Harvard Professor who was a pioneer in Alzheimer's research and being one of the co-discoverers of the first Alzheimer's disease gene.

As quoted in the book "Every day you step into the invisible firestorm of electrical and chemical activity that is the brain's environment. You act as leader, inventor, teacher, and user of your brain, all at once.

As leader, you hand out the day's orders to your brain.
As inventor, you create new pathways and connections inside your brain that didn't exist yesterday.
As teacher, you train your brain to learn new skills.
As user, you are responsible for keeping your brain in good working order."

I have to say that this one is greatest books I've read on the topic of the brain because the two authors go extremely in-depth into the working of the brain, and they also give you tools that you can implement into your life today.

It's broken up into three parts. Here's a very basic summary.

Part 1 DEVELOPING YOU GREATEST GIFT
Which goes into great detail about the latest advancements in science that explain how the brain functions. It also talks about the five myths of the brain.

Part 2: MAKING REALITY
This part gives you information and knowledge to literally work on changing your brain from negatives states of mind to positive states of mind.

Part 3:MYSTERY AND PROMISE
I thoroughly enjoyed this part because its goes into the biggest idea in all of science. Something to which I'm fascinating with, the question being "How does this three pound brain produce consciousness?"

I think this is an incredible book that anyone can use to increase more positive states of mind. I've read hundreds of books on the brain and I think this one is one of the best because it gives you tools on how to work on changing your brain immediately.
44 comments| 417 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2013
At present, have experienced crises that caused emotional and physical pain off the scale, as well as brain functioning in the below normal range. Being an intelligent individual, was looking for a way to heal my brain, get it to work well again. Had tried several medications, did not do well on them, too many side effects. Was experiencing physical pain off the scale every day from stress and the crises I had gone through. I now have no physical pain related to stress -- zero. In a few short weeks, have seen improvement in memory and in all negative emotions associated with reaction to crises. I will never be the same -- in a very good way. With the instruction in this book, anticipate that not only will I return to normal for me, which is well above average brain function, but also my new normal will exceed my previous one. From instruction in this book, I have already been able to learn and accomplish new things I did not have skill to do before. This is new information just learned from studies in the recent past, very valuable to all of us as adults, as well as to parents who want to teach their children newly learned ways to make their brains work for them. Rarely have I taken time to review a book I have read, but this one has brought about so many positive results in such a short amount of time that I wanted to say, "Thank you, Dr. Tanzi, for passing this priceless information along to us."
on March 3, 2017
If you would like to grow personally and to understand your emotions and the emotions of the people around you, they buy this book. It is well-written. I am not a big fan of evolution but I can hunt for the ideas that I am looking for. Bought the book and took two full days to read it cover to cover and take notes. Not a fast read if you would like to implement the ideas you learn.
on February 28, 2015
Love it! Enthusiastic, holistic, inspiring, and helpful with vignettes about how and why using the brain to be happy and to heal is effective. This book changed some of my basic depressed and low mood, helped me to think more positively and therefore be happier, inspired me to use my brain to be healthier and happier. As a big fan of Dr. Chopra's, Dr. Tanzi was a pleasant surprise overcoming my bias against PhDs. Well done! I'd bet you'll find this helpful to you too.
on June 10, 2017
Super Brain is a wonderful book.
Very interesting.
Concepts are very well presented and easy to read.
Make choices to allow your brain to be more of a super brain.
Great gift. Would make a good graduation gift.
Ways to exercise your brain.
Most folks pay attention to exercising their physical body, but do not realize the brain needs exercise as well.
Choose and create the world you want for yourself.
Tools/practices for everyday use.
We have used some of the suggestions already -- fun and easy to actually do.
So read and use the Super Brain to improve memory and make new connections in the brain.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND
on May 25, 2017
Do we control our brain, or does our brain control us? Some thought provoking ideas shared, discussed, and debated.
It opened my mind to think more without prejudice and extending my limiting beliefs to what I heard.
We can be so much more if we do not allow what we learn to condition us conform.

I would recommend listening to this book.

William Teh
Investor | Author | Entrepreneur
TTTrends Investments
on January 29, 2017
I am fascinated by the research of the brain, mind, and consciousness. This book has changed my work in the way that I assist others in understanding they are in charge of their brain. I think this innovation can help others feel that they do not have to be victims of their own circumstances, they create their reality.
on March 8, 2017
These two brilliant humans have done it again, giving us the momentum to reach beyond our perceived limitations to imagine, and therefore live, the reality that truly pleases us.
on April 28, 2017
An Excellent Resource for Information that is easy to comprehend in the manner in which Deepak and Rudy write the book. Highlights and notes are on so many pages, it may be time to pull those pages out to use as ready reference. A book once you start to read you cannot put down~