Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 4, 2016
I am a HUGE fan of Dr. Fuhrman's! I had countless health issues and could not face yet another pill. Then I was diagnosed with Psoriasis and when I read how insidious the disease could become and the cancer causing drugs used in treatment, I knew I had to change. I follow the book, am amazed at the results, in 5 months I am no longer diabetic, and am off 1/2 of my other meds. My Doctor was amazed at my blood tests and the clearing of my Psoriasis, with no meds!. It was difficult for the first 3 weeks to adjust and to have the food and ingredients on hand, but now it is easy as I continue to find recipes I enjoy. For a return to health, which I needed, this is great. I strongly suggest this book to everyone, why wait until you do become sick.
58 people found this helpful
on October 13, 2011
As part of my work as a freelance writer I am often reviewing diet books and spend a fair amount of my time keeping up with the latest diet trends and reading the publications that are hot off the press. But after reading many versions of the same types of calorie-controlled diets, reformulated with a supposedly `new' twist, I find I am often left feeling less than inspired.

However, every now and then I am pleasantly surprised with a diet program that, not only holds my personal interest, but also is also solid in its approach to nutrition that truly supports the health and well being of its readers.

Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free is one such book. It is written by Dr. Joel Fuhrman - who specializes in preventing and treating disease with a high-nutrient plant-based diet - and is also the author of Eat For Health.

One of the aspects of Fuhrman's work that I appreciate is his emphasis on improving our health by paying attention to the quality of the foods we eat. Fuhrman's philosophy is centered on consuming those foods that have a high ratio of nutrients in relation to their calories. By focusing on micronutrient rich super foods we can boost our immunity to ward off colds and flus, as well as protect ourselves from conditions such as autoimmune disorders, heart disease and cancer.

In Super Immunity, Fuhrman outlines how certain foods including leafy green vegetables, mushrooms, onions, garlic, pomegranate, berries and seeds can improve our natural defenses. All of his claims are well supported by up-to-date scientific research.

For example, mushrooms contain substances called aromatase inhibitors that significantly reduces the risk of breast cancer. "In one recent study, women who ate at least 10 grams of fresh mushrooms each day (equivalent to just one small mushroom) had a 64 percent decreased risk of breast cancer. Even more dramatic protection was gained by women who ate 10 grams of mushrooms and consumed green tea daily." (Up to 89 percent decrease in risk.)

In addition to emphasizing immune-strengthening and cancer-fighting foods, Fuhrman outlines guidelines to help readers to adapt a Super Immunity diet.

Focus on foods that are high in nutrients and prepare meals at home.
Eat at least one large green salad every day and ideally two.
Include at least an ounce of raw nuts and seeds and one serving of beans in the diet every day.
Preferably avoid animal products but at least limit intake to 10 oz. per week for women and 12 oz. per week for men.
Fruits and vegetables should comprise 90% of your caloric intake.

A two-week meal plan is included along with 85 `super immunity' recipes. The meal plan is vegan but a few of the recipes provide options for dieters who prefer not to completely eliminate animal products.

Fuhrman is not an advocate of a 100% raw diet, so the recipes include a combination of raw and cooked meals. The emphasis is on whole foods, so oils are used very sparingly, with raw nuts and seeds being the main source of fat in the diet.

Fruits and vegetables form the basis of every meal and portion sizes are generous, so you certainly won't go hungry on this plan. However, because of the high fiber and water content of the meals, the diet is naturally low in calories, making it a perfect program for dieters who want to lose weight but also enjoy eating large meals.

Here is an example of a day's eating on the Super Immunity Plan:

Breakfast: Forbidden Rice Pudding (ingredients include black rice, soy or almond milk, dried apple, wild blueberries, cinnamon and vanilla)

Lunch: Spinach Salad with Strawberry Sesame Vinaigrette, Tangy White Beans and Zucchini

Dinner: Raw snow peas, broccoli and carrots, Island Black Bean Dip, Braised Kale and Squash with pumpkin seeds

Dessert: Black Cherry Sorbet

Super Immunity includes recipes for both raw and cooked plant-based meals and will appeal to vegans as well as anyone interested in improving their health through a better diet. For those of us who prefer to eat a raw food diet here is a list of some of the raw food recipes included in this book:

Cinnamon Apple Omega Milk
Golden Onion Morsels
Chunky Blueberry Walnut Sorbet
Coconut Carrot Cream Pie
Golden Delicious Truffles

Overall I found the book to be an enjoyable read and I picked up on a few key concepts that will no doubt improve my overall diet. While many of these were factors that I already was aware of, it is helpful to be reminded of the reasons why these foods are so good for us, because this helps to maintain the motivation to be consistent in making intelligent food choices.
890 people found this helpful
|2323 comments|Report abuse
on October 19, 2011
You may have read Dr. Fuhrman's other book "Eat to Live" and wonder what's new in store with Super Immunity, or is it just a rehash of the same information.

While you will not find radically different information in Super Immunity -- it's the same good Fuhrman diet philosophy -- this book covers critical information about your health that I've personally never seen before in such an easy-to-digest format.

It would be easy to summarize the book by saying "Eat your vegetables!" but Super Immunity goes beyond that.

Yes, there's a ton of research that shows that phytochemicals found in certain vegetables have literally boost our immunity and can fight off cancer. The top foods recommended to add to your diet are:

- Kale, collards, mustard greens
- Onion, garlic
- Mushrooms
- Pomegranates
- Berries of all kinds
- Seeds (like sesame, flax, etc.)

The book covers a lot more information, such as:

- The pros and cons of certain vaccines. Why most people would not be advised to take a flu shot every year.
- How diet alone can not only prevent but help reverse cancer
- How exactly nutrition can increase our immunity and help us avoid contagious diseases
- Simple tips I found very useful to further improve our immunity and avoid viral illnesses.
- The controversy on being a complete vegan or not, what the science actually says about it

The recipes are excellent but similar to what's found in other books by Fuhrman.

What I like about Dr. Fuhrman is that he's obsessed about optimal nutrition, but he's also a scientist. Some radical natural hygienist claim that the entire germ theory is a scam and that viruses never cause illnesses, but those claims are not supported by science.

Furhman shows you how you can dramatically increase your immunity so that' you'll never catch a flu, even when a lot of people are sick.

I've lived something close to the recommended lifestyle for over 12 years and although I occasionally got a cold, I've never had a flu in all that time and the more closely I followed the recommendations, the healthier I've become.

It's not an "all or nothing" lifestyle. You can pick and choose what you incorporate in your life. If you've read other books like those by Dr. McDougall or Esselstyn, the Furhman books, including Super Immunity, are great additions.
555 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on December 15, 2012
I am an avid fan of Dr. Fuhrman ever since I came across him on PBS one sleepless night! His diet has changed my life! Super Immunity only builds on that knowledge reinforcing for true health reasons why in the world you would choose to eat this way. There are no gimmicks, no supplements, no weird food to eat. You can choose to be vegan or not. It is completely up to you. Studies show and the results of his 20+ year practice of thousands and thousands of patients prove that nothing is more nutritious or nurturing for your body that whole produce, and especially the leafy greens and cruciferous veggies. Fresh whole fruits, nuts & seeds and cooked dried beans are the basis of the "diet".

It is actually a healthy lifestyle and once I started adding these things to my diet I soon found out that I felt just completely rotten eating "the old way". The energy I have, the easy weight loss, loss of joint pain, and feeling of well being are priceless to me. I have Dr. Furhman to thank for that. I share this information with anyone who shows interest in improving their health or losing weight. People who will turn up their noses at the diet may be interested to know that your tastes will change over time if you give it a chance. I now rarely miss salt in my food, find processed food too salty and sweet, and regular salad dressing on my salad is just too greasy and unappealing. All of this from a 55 year old woman who once weighed 205 pounds and wore size 16 most unattractively. Today I am 135 pounds and a size 4! Never thought I could do that in a million years and without starving. I have no cravings for junk and I am never hungry until it is time to eat!

If you are sick and tired of being sick and tired, give it a try. Just the information alone on what the food can do for you is compelling enough. The bonus of healthful eating aside from decreasing your chances of developing cancer, heart disease, and autoimmune diesases over time is weight loss!
40 people found this helpful
on November 29, 2017
This book is packed full of information and I’ve been following his advice except....... I haven’t given up my milk or eggs....and still my health has improved so much it’s crazy and I have lost 50 pounds just from changing my eating habits! I haven’t been able to exercise because of a bad knee I have and I’m still loosing weight. Adding all the goodness of real food I feel better, look better and have not been sick since I’ve been eating the way Dr. Fuhrman recommends. Literally I think this book may have saved me from a premature death. Thank God because I still have grand babies to love on and play with.
8 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 7, 2018
When I first heard of Dr. Fuhrman and his books I did not want to read any of them because I thought he was a vegetarian and that is not what I wanted to be. But people are wrong when they think that because he is really a nutritarian as I discovered when I read one of his books. I broke down and read it because I was diagnosed with cancer and all the research I did led me over and over to Fuhrman. I now have several of his books that I'm trying to read. I have only been following his nutritarian diet advice for about a week but already I feel better. For over 10 years I have had a painful lower back due to arthritis and degenerating disks. It is hard for me to believe but my back is unbelievably better after only a week of eating vegetables, fruits and nuts with very little dairy and no meat or chicken so far. I will add in some animal products but only organic and not much in quantity. The food I am eating now is delicious and I am not hungry. So thank you, Dr. Fuhrman. I wish I had known about you years ago - but better late than never.
on August 1, 2017
GOOD Guidance.... this all makes perfect sense to me. In the past I have had times
of being vegetarian ... then when living in Africa where food is scarce, I ate what was available, including meat. Then another era of being vegetarian (mostly) was broken when I gave blood and had no energy.... However on multiple levels I feel that the time of consuming other creatures is passing... very fast. And, now I am old and want to spend my remaining time healthy. For two weeks I have been following this way of eating, not perfectly... but close and have lost weight, feel good... and perhaps best of all... I LIKE what I am Eating! I believe that this is a good way for me to maintain a healthy... but getting older... body!
on June 16, 2013
I purchased this book at the recommendation of a friend. I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money, but decided to go ahead and take the dive. I am SO happy I did! I've been falling off the health wagon because I am bored with "health food", but this book also comes with plenty of delicious and interesting recipes - which got me back on the wagon.

My mother in law was diagnosed with stage 3B ovarian cancer. Ovarian cancer has a low survival rate, and it was very hard on us to get this news, as we are all very close. While going through chemo, she made a huge change and kept trying to get us watching her dvds about nutrition and reading her books. She started making healthy food for meals when we visited, and I was surprised at how good they tasted. I was also overjoyed to hear her news that the cancer was in remission and she was done with chemo. I knew that the chances of her cancer coming back were high, though. Within 2 years, most people are not alive. She had something like an 18% chance of surviving this one. Still, she continued to prepare healthy meals and talk to us about how important it is. She wanted very much for us to PREVENT what she just went through. Then, she passed the 2 year mark without her cancer coming back. She passed the 3 year mark.... she just kept going. She looks great and has energy, and even kept working as a teacher through her chemo (this woman is a pillar!).

We were visiting recently, and I told her about this book, Super Immunity. She said that this is the way she has been eating for a while now, and had us watch her DVDs again. When she got them out, I realized that they were Dr. Fuhrman's! She has most of his books and has been following his advice all this time. If it weren't for her change in diet, and great discipline in following Dr.Fuhrman's nutrition advice, I don't think she would have made it through this. Now, we are working to prevent cancer and other killers by adopting a healthier lifestyle. If this is all I have to do to keep from suffering through cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc..... I'm on board!
29 people found this helpful
on April 29, 2016
Super Immunity is a life changer. Simple non-evasive changes that bring a positive impact to your health. Dr Furhman is the most well rounded author on this topic. He lays out the information in a non-biased way and let's you make the decision. I however am biased towards Dr Fuhrman because his advice rid me of high blood pressure, I lowered my total cholesterol to 140, lost 30 pounds and cleared up blemishes. You have nothing to lose except toxic medications and disease. Read this book and find out for yourself, I dare you.
15 people found this helpful
on January 24, 2018
Not only is this book loaded with incredible information about health and nutrition, each fact is backed up with studies and trials. This book is not just supposition, his way of life is proven by science. Very interesting read. I could not put it down.