Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 895 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,162 reviews
on May 30, 2016
Being an avid fan of the Mario series especially Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES, Super Mario Land 2 for Gameboy, Super Mario 64 for N64 and the vastly under appreciated and underrated Super Mario Sunshine for Gamecube; i felt there was a massive void between my favorites and now. I played galaxy 1 and 2 but didn't feel the same about them. Then i get my hands on Super Mario 3D Land, what a great effort to bring Mario back in a way that's familiar and reminiscent of the classics but with a new school 3D twist. After hours upon hours of playing it i realized that this game has become a top 5 Mario game for me. If your a big fan of the old Mario games like me, you will fall in love with Nintendo all over again with this one. :)
on September 7, 2015
Now that I've had the game for a while now, I feel like I've earned the right to write a review. I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm more than halfway through the main worlds.

Mine came in a red box instead of a white one like the normal 3DS box. I don't know if that was just me or what, but it isn't all that important. Inside is the manual and the game, as one should assume. This stuff is unimportant so I'll just get right into the actual game.

The first thing I have to say about this game is that it looks very good. The graphics are quite sharp and the text is easy to read, which is good. Some games don't have that. Story is introduced immediately, and it's what you've probably come to expect from Mario games. Princess Peach was kidnapped, you gotta help her, that whole scenario. It does its job as a story, it drives the game along. Don't expect the riveting story and amazing plot twists of Bioshock here, there are other places for that.

So you're thrown into level 1 in world 1 and there was one thing that absolutely drove me insane immediately; Mario runs very slowly. I feel like I'm playing as a new slug character or something, but it's just normal Mario. There is an option to dash, which helps a little, but even the dash is barely faster than a leisurely jog. One gets used to it quickly, after the first couple of levels, but it really does get on my nerves.

Speaking of dashing, there are special moves you can do in the game. You can long jump, crouch, side somersault, ground pound, roll, all that good stuff. However, you are NEVER told any of this stuff while you're actually in the game. No tutorials about it whatsoever. Instead, you are expected to read the manual. I have never had to read the manual of a game to learn essential parts of a game until I got this. I never read the manuals because they always teach you what is needed to play in the game, so you don't have to waste time. I am on world 5 and learned about these moves the day I wrote this review.

That said, it isn't actually really needed to play the game. You can learn to dash easily, and that's the only extra move needed to successfully play the game. The other stuff can help, but only in niche situations.

So I haven't said too much positive stuff about this game yet, but I wanted to get the negatives out of the way first. Let's get on with the positive aspects of the game.

This game is a lot of fun. I have no clue why, but I thoroughly enjoy this game every time I play. There's just something about the game play that is really addicting, which is a good thing. It's just a lot of fun being able to run around in 3D environments, finding cool secret passages, trying to find a quicker way to clear an obstacle. Sometimes, story isn't always the driving factor in a game, and this game proves it in my opinion.

Power ups. There is the Tanooki (or Tanuki) suit, which is by far the most helpful if you ask me. There is the fire Mario power-up, and there is the grow mushroom. I have yet to come across a giant mushroom, but I am fine without them. The Tanooki suit lets you glide around after jumping or falling, which is beyond helpful. It also lets you do a tail attack, which is helpful as well. The fire suit is best for clearing out enemies or an enemy that is far away from you. The grow mushroom lets you grow back to normal size if you were shrunk, and otherwise gives you 10 coins.

The levels are all different, even if they are in the same world. Some add new features, some add new enemies. Some give new uses to old features, some just use old features but with a different layout. In any case, I have yet to come across a level that I particularly dislike. They all feel well designed, and there aren't really things that try to kill you in a manner that feels like cheating. I do wish the levels were a bit more difficult, but I am still not done with the game and they keep getting harder as I go.

There are a lot more things to cover, but those things should just be experienced instead. It's really hard to describe one specific thing about the game that makes it fun, so you have to play for yourself to see. This game is also suitable for all ages. If you're an adult and you own a 3DS, then you should get this game for it. It doesn't feel overly kiddified, which I come across on many occasions when playing games on the 3DS console. If you're a parent looking to buy this game for their kid, I would get it. It's a very enjoyable game that doesn't take a whole lot of processing power to understand, which is a nice change of pace from a lot of modern games. There are also multiple save slots on the cartridge, so you could have multiple players sharing this one cartridge if they were willing to do so.
on May 28, 2015
I am a long time Nintendo player. So believe me when I say this is one of the best Mario games available for the 3DS! This is a game I have played over and over. There are so many things that make this game fun and exciting. From the many levels, to the challenges, the graphics, and 3D. I would highly recommend this game to anyone owning a 3DS. The story is lacking quite a bit of content (Not a deal-breaker in the slightest), but thats typical of Nintendo games. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
-Long Game
-Great Graphics and 3D
-Easy Control
-Good Music
-Fun Level Design

Cons:
-Storyline is Lacking Content

Overall, this is one amazing game. Nintendo really did a good job with this one. I highly recommend buying this game!
on March 30, 2015
If you're a fan of Super Mario games... you're gonna like this. Great controls, awesome 3D graphics, smooth gameplay, etc. Difficulty isn't very over the top, but that's probably for the best since you'll often replay most levels trying to get all the stars. Easy to pick up and put down on the fly, which is great for a handheld game. **Save a few buck and buy used if you can. Cartridge based games hold up well over time.

I've enjoyed this much more than the Mario Galaxy versions on the Wii, and I'm tempted to now buy Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U since this style is so well done.
on October 27, 2013
Simply put, this game is delightful. It's pure, blissful fun that hearkens back to the old school games while introducing thoughtful and interesting new elements. (I feel like a Nintendo PR person writing this, but just thinking about this game puts a smile on my face).

The game is divided up into worlds, each with a certain number of levels. You pass through a linear overworld and complete each level, earning up to three stars in each world. Completionists can also strive for one other accomplishment - I'll let you figure that one out when you play.

It's the little touches that make the game shine. The way you kill Bowser will bring back memories for many gamers (I'll leave it up to you to find out if you don't already know).

The 3D effect is well done and often makes for awe-inspiring scenery. When you fly downward or upward ("out of" or "into" the screen) you'll see why the 3D effect is both useful and entertaining. It can also be used to solve puzzles. While it can be nauseating, it's also a thrill for the times when you do have it on.

For those who got started with a 3DS with Pokemon X and Y, this is a great second game. You'll be thrilled with the allusions to Mario's past. And, more likely than not, you won't be able to put it down.
on October 31, 2013
I've been playing Mario games since the original Super Mario Bros. on NES. I've played the Game Boy ones, the DS ones, the GameCube one, the Wii ones, etc. Well then let me say that Super Mario 3D Land is one of the top 5 Mario games ever made. It's possibly the best 3D Mario I've ever played (I enjoyed this even more than Galaxy). If you want validation of the 3D effect of the 3DS, this is the game to make you a believer. Even without that, Super Mario 3D Land is tremendously fun. Charming and innovative graphics, rock solid controls, catchy tunes, clever level designs, and a fun factor off the scale. If you own a 3DS and you don't own this game you're seriously missing out. And for those who say this game is too easy... if you haven't beat the 8 special worlds and all their levels, you're not qualified to make that assumption.
on August 26, 2017
Such an awesome and easy game. It has everything you love about Mario. The level designs are incredible, the power ups are amazing, the game-play is a lot of fun, and Mario is just as chipper as ever. Not too big on story, but most Mario games aren't, and it's okay. Whether 9 or 90, Mario is a ton of fun to play. I recommend adding this game to your collection to awesome games.
on July 9, 2014
Super Mario 3D Land did a great job of taking me back to when I first played Mario 64. If you played Mario 64, I am certain you will get the same sense of nostalgia.

Super Mario 3D land is for the most part an open do-what-you-want game. The game has adapted concepts from other past Mario games and has melded them into what you see here. All of the concepts they took have been added/modified very well to fit an original Mario experience. This game is so relatable to Mario 64, that I almost want to call it a sequel with items from other older games. Anyone who is a fan of Mario will enjoy playing through Super Mario 3D Land.

The problem I had with this game is that each level has a timer. It's clear that they wanted to give you a Mario 64 feel when you play this game, so why restrict exploration with a timer? I enjoy playing games with no threat of losing simply because I wanted to explore. This game is excellent for any Mario fans or kids, but make sure they know it has timers in every level.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 28, 2016
There is nothing that can be said about this that hasn't already been said. It's awesome! I love it. Highly recommended for hours and days of play time! Enjoy!
on November 4, 2016
This gets more like 3.5 stars than 4. Definitely fun to play but it gets boring rather fast. The 3D gets old quick and you will end up playing with the 3D switched off very soon after playing like I did. Typical Mario game. Nothing to rave about but not a bad game either. You know what you are getting when you buy this game.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.