Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Video Game|Change
Price:$35.96+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 373 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 689 reviews
on April 6, 2014
Super Mario 64 is not only on of the greatest mario games ever its also on of the greatest games ever (behind 2d mario and 3d world). As a kid I was obsessed with the original version and my n64 was lost back about 2000-2001. So when this game was announced in 2004 on a handheld I had to get it somehow.

To be honest nintendo could have released just the n64 cart on the ds with just the updated graphics and I would have been happy. However nintendo went the extra mile and added enough goodies and new stuff to make it feel like mario 64.5. The most notable change is the characters you can use. You can play as mario, Yoshi, Luigi, and Wario. Shockingly you have to start as Yoshi here and can't play as Mario tell you unlock him. Yoshi plays a lot like in yoshis island and is a odd but enjoyable character. Luigi is the best of the new characters and can jump higher and float in the air however is harder to control than mario. Mario plays just like he did on the n64 and serves as a balanced character. Wario however feels a little forced in, his ability is basically to punch blocks that the randomly added in that other characters can not destroy. Plus he doesn't jump very high.

Other things new is improved graphics. Which the are nice for early ds hardware looks kinda in between n64 and gamecube. A few new levels here and there. These are more mini levels instead of full coarses but are fun to play. (I assume the might have been in the cancelled 64 2 if it were released). There is also unlockable mini games that the keys are hidden throught the castle. The games are actually really fun and remind me of the gameboy remixs of the game & watch gallary. Finally Nintendo added 30 stars to the game as well to challenge people who could play the original blindfolded

Even with all that new stuff that overloaded my nostagila filled brain at the time there is still a few things that make the original version superior. First is the controls. 64 was originally devoloped around analog stick control which was fairly new in 1996. The ds only has a dpad so it does get hard to control at times. and you have to hold the Y button to run. You can also use the touch screen but it takes a while to get used to it. Playing on a 3ds/xl helps a lot with this problem with the circle pad. Another problem is Nintendo decided to tone down the difficulty. The original was fairly challenging but this game is easy till you beat the final bowser getting all 150 stars though will still put up a fight. Also if you have played galaxy or 3d world recently this on is hard to go back to. It does show its age from time to time, unlike any other great marios.

Anyway minus those problems this is on of the best video game remakes and even though i'd still recomend the original this is still a great game.
on January 6, 2014
Super Mario 64 was the biggest milestone in 3D gaming. There were 3D games prior to this one, but this one brought something new to the table: genius level design, responsive controls, a real adventure to follow, and most importantly: fun. But that was in 1996. How does it hold up now re-released on the DS?

For starters, it improves on everything from the original Mario 64. It is still tons of fun to play, and has 30 new stars that weren't in the original Mario 64. It also has new playable characters, each with different abilities, strengths, and weaknesses, along with a new multiplayer mode. This game packs in a ton of new content for fans and veterans of the original, without removing anything from the game we all know and love.

The one slight downside is controls. It is obviously a lot weirder and less effective to control a character in 3D space with a D-Pad rather than a joystick. However, if you play it on a 3DS which actually HAS joystick, it is flawless.

I can recommend this game to either kids, or hardcore players alike. It is bright and colorful, but has very challenging levels and will take a lot of time to accomplish all 120 stars.
on March 5, 2014
You just can't beat the charm of the original Nintendo 64 version of this game. It's quirky, challenging, and above all memorable. This game tries really hard and almost comes close to topping it though.

One advantage this game has over the original is the amount of content. Now instead of 120 stars, you have 150 stars to collect, along with several mini-games to keep you busy. The biggest disadvantage (and it's a big one) is the controls. If only this game had waited a few years and came out on the superior Nintendo 3DS system, because the limitations of the D-Pad are crushing. Sure, there's the touch-screen option, but that still isn't enough to make up for the faulty controls.

All in all, I enjoy this game and think it's great, but the controls really set it back a step for me.
on April 24, 2017
I had wanted to play the original Mario 64 again for years, as we always enjoyed it on the 64. Bring back memories. And, it certainly delivers on bringing back old memories. I had such high hopes on this game, but I was really just hoping for an untouched version of the game. No extra added stars or levels. Just the classic version I played with my friends as a teen. Of course, I knew before buying, that it wasn't gonna be the version I wanted, but it would have to do. I also understand what others have complained about, pertaining to the awkward controls. All in all, still a good title to play. I just may be a little biased, as I was able to enjoy the original when it first came out. Maybe if there was an option to play the classic version, I might've actually given it 4 or 5 stars. I find myself just wanting to get through the game, so I can just get back to another glorious round of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
on September 27, 2006
Undoubtedly one of the best game ports I've played thus far. I have been an avid fan of Mario 64 since it's release on the N64 and this game did not disappoint.

When I first booted the game I was expecting it just to be a miniaturized version of the game I loved, but it is so much more than that. Building off of the original SM64, Nintendo has only improved this wonderful game. A few new levels have been added, that are integrated so well that you'd never notice them as new levels unless you'd played the original. There are also 30 more stars to top off the original 120 to now 150, adding hours more into the gameplay.

I've heard a few complaints about the textures being pixelated, especially when close to an object, but one cannot deny that they are starkly better than it's original counterpart. Higher polygon models and higher detail in the textures really adds to the experience.

Another factor that has been improved from the original is the sound. Gorgeous stereo sound really shows off the improved version of the original soundtrack and rerecorded dialogue (such as Toadstool's letters and character phrases). Sounds gorgeous with the DS's speakers, but plug in a good set of headphones and you'll be totally immersed in the experience of the game.

Sadly, gameplay can be a little awkward at times with the touch screen - you may find yourself running in the wrong direction or falling off a cliff before you've gotten used to it (quite frustrating.) But after you HAVE gotten used to it, it's easy to pull off and play the game. Personally though, I still use the Directional Pad to control my character, and it works perfectly fine for someone who doesn't have the wrist-strap 'stylus' for thumb play (works perfectly, even with the tetchy diagonals of a DS Lite d-pad).

The lasting appeal is great though...for the casual gamer, a delightful single player mode and equally enjoyable minigames make for a grand experience. For a serious player though, collecting every single star and unlocking every minigame will add hours to the game and much more fun. There are a few awesome minigames when you first start, but many more to unlock and enjoy. The multiplayer mode, while the timer can be irritating, is still fun, especially since only one cart is needed.

In short:

- Tons of new challenges add hours to gameplay

- Many awesome minigames to unlock will keep the player entertained

- A decent multiplayer is good for a little fun with the friends, and only requires one cart

- High replayability keeps you coming back for more

I give it a 9.0/10

~K_Flynn
on October 4, 2011
I was excited to get this game partially just for nostalgia's sake(I remember being a little kid and playing Super Mario 64 on my N64 and loving it to death). Secondly I purchased this game for the simple fact that the original was sooo much fun, and the DS version doesn't fall short! It's got all the fun of the original game, but add to that, better graphics, 4 different characters with different powers to play as, more stars to find, and portability. Personally I find it easier to control on the DS than on the VC version, by using the buttons and in certain levels, the touch screen. I actually purchased this from Amazon Warehouse Deals, and I gotta say that I'm THOROUGHLY IMPRESSED! I bought this in "Used-Like New" condition, and it was in awesome condition, it looked like someone just took the shrink wrap off and stuck it on the used shelf, and I paid $20 for it, case, manual, and all. This was my first purchase ever from Warehouse Deals, and I definitely recommend them and I most certainly recommend Super Mario 64 DS!
on January 19, 2008
I've been a big mario fan since the beginning, but I took a long hiatus between the original Nintendo and the Nintendo DS, so I missed this game the first time around on the N64. The biggest difference between this game and the ones I've played in the past is the camera angles--I'm used to 2D versions, and the 3D sort of throw you off if you're not used to it. It's still loads of fun, though!

Pros: Fun, you don't finish it too fast, it's nice to be able to play as multiple characters at different points in the game, and the mini games are a nice addition (though if you've played The New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, you'll notice that many of them are the same ones).

Cons: The clever camera angles they devised to show off the capabilities of the N64 are sometimes a little quirky, making it so you can't see what you need to, or sometimes even making it hard to walk in a straight line. The controls are also a bit confusing, sometimes requiring you to remember confusing button sequences to complete a move. Definitely not intuitive, but I guess they designed it for the N64 controller so they had to get creative to make it work at all.

Overall, it took some getting used to, but it's still lots of fun! I don't regret buying it.
on January 31, 2014
A lot of people I saw were complaining about bootleg copies, the one I ordered from EZCORP is perfect. The game I got even still has a save file saved on it already. I played through the first level personally and saved the game. I was able to control the character using any of the three touch screen d pad or joystick. And I most certainly received the correct game, theres no case for it, but that doesnt matter, there wouldnt have been 2 days after being at my house anyway. Got it for my son and he couldnt be happier, so glad I got this for him. Now I wont have to wake up and hear "Mommy have you got me Mario 64 Ds?" :)
VINE VOICEon September 21, 2010
I bought this game for my 8 year old grandson. He loves this game, has had it for over 2 months now and has not become bored with it (much to my surprise). That earns it 5 stars from me. The boy's mother is not too fond of the game as she believes it fails to teach the boy anything, but that is OK with me as sometimes kids just want to have fun and adventures - just like adults (I reminded the mother that she goes out dancing withn her girlfriends once or twice a month and does not learn anything). If you are looking for an educational game this is not a game you should buy. But if you are just looking for a game that will give the kids hours of fun and adventure, consider this one.
on November 27, 2016
I love this game but for some reason I cannot start files B and C. I have tried multiple times to start new games in files B and C and they always erase. On file A I have saved 33 stars so far, but cannot save anything past that. I always make sure to save and continue and then save again before I quit. Very disappointing having to play the same levels over and over again. Not sure if the cartridge is defective or what the issue is, but I've already gotten my gaming system checked and everything is in working order.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.