Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 373 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 694 reviews
on March 5, 2014
You just can't beat the charm of the original Nintendo 64 version of this game. It's quirky, challenging, and above all memorable. This game tries really hard and almost comes close to topping it though.

One advantage this game has over the original is the amount of content. Now instead of 120 stars, you have 150 stars to collect, along with several mini-games to keep you busy. The biggest disadvantage (and it's a big one) is the controls. If only this game had waited a few years and came out on the superior Nintendo 3DS system, because the limitations of the D-Pad are crushing. Sure, there's the touch-screen option, but that still isn't enough to make up for the faulty controls.

All in all, I enjoy this game and think it's great, but the controls really set it back a step for me.
on January 6, 2014
Super Mario 64 was the biggest milestone in 3D gaming. There were 3D games prior to this one, but this one brought something new to the table: genius level design, responsive controls, a real adventure to follow, and most importantly: fun. But that was in 1996. How does it hold up now re-released on the DS?

For starters, it improves on everything from the original Mario 64. It is still tons of fun to play, and has 30 new stars that weren't in the original Mario 64. It also has new playable characters, each with different abilities, strengths, and weaknesses, along with a new multiplayer mode. This game packs in a ton of new content for fans and veterans of the original, without removing anything from the game we all know and love.

The one slight downside is controls. It is obviously a lot weirder and less effective to control a character in 3D space with a D-Pad rather than a joystick. However, if you play it on a 3DS which actually HAS joystick, it is flawless.

I can recommend this game to either kids, or hardcore players alike. It is bright and colorful, but has very challenging levels and will take a lot of time to accomplish all 120 stars.
on January 31, 2014
A lot of people I saw were complaining about bootleg copies, the one I ordered from EZCORP is perfect. The game I got even still has a save file saved on it already. I played through the first level personally and saved the game. I was able to control the character using any of the three touch screen d pad or joystick. And I most certainly received the correct game, theres no case for it, but that doesnt matter, there wouldnt have been 2 days after being at my house anyway. Got it for my son and he couldnt be happier, so glad I got this for him. Now I wont have to wake up and hear "Mommy have you got me Mario 64 Ds?" :)
on April 24, 2017
I had wanted to play the original Mario 64 again for years, as we always enjoyed it on the 64. Bring back memories. And, it certainly delivers on bringing back old memories. I had such high hopes on this game, but I was really just hoping for an untouched version of the game. No extra added stars or levels. Just the classic version I played with my friends as a teen. Of course, I knew before buying, that it wasn't gonna be the version I wanted, but it would have to do. I also understand what others have complained about, pertaining to the awkward controls. All in all, still a good title to play. I just may be a little biased, as I was able to enjoy the original when it first came out. Maybe if there was an option to play the classic version, I might've actually given it 4 or 5 stars. I find myself just wanting to get through the game, so I can just get back to another glorious round of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
on September 17, 2016
it ok the game came i had fun with this but after 1 month it broke stop woking i try contact the seller back then and now a year later never contact me back i wanted a resend of a new one now i have 2 buy another one full price again :( never got to fully play or get into it but hope when i older another one coming up it works grate last for a while and i have fun
on October 4, 2011
I was excited to get this game partially just for nostalgia's sake(I remember being a little kid and playing Super Mario 64 on my N64 and loving it to death). Secondly I purchased this game for the simple fact that the original was sooo much fun, and the DS version doesn't fall short! It's got all the fun of the original game, but add to that, better graphics, 4 different characters with different powers to play as, more stars to find, and portability. Personally I find it easier to control on the DS than on the VC version, by using the buttons and in certain levels, the touch screen. I actually purchased this from Amazon Warehouse Deals, and I gotta say that I'm THOROUGHLY IMPRESSED! I bought this in "Used-Like New" condition, and it was in awesome condition, it looked like someone just took the shrink wrap off and stuck it on the used shelf, and I paid $20 for it, case, manual, and all. This was my first purchase ever from Warehouse Deals, and I definitely recommend them and I most certainly recommend Super Mario 64 DS!
on November 27, 2016
I love this game but for some reason I cannot start files B and C. I have tried multiple times to start new games in files B and C and they always erase. On file A I have saved 33 stars so far, but cannot save anything past that. I always make sure to save and continue and then save again before I quit. Very disappointing having to play the same levels over and over again. Not sure if the cartridge is defective or what the issue is, but I've already gotten my gaming system checked and everything is in working order.
on January 19, 2008
I've been a big mario fan since the beginning, but I took a long hiatus between the original Nintendo and the Nintendo DS, so I missed this game the first time around on the N64. The biggest difference between this game and the ones I've played in the past is the camera angles--I'm used to 2D versions, and the 3D sort of throw you off if you're not used to it. It's still loads of fun, though!

Pros: Fun, you don't finish it too fast, it's nice to be able to play as multiple characters at different points in the game, and the mini games are a nice addition (though if you've played The New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, you'll notice that many of them are the same ones).

Cons: The clever camera angles they devised to show off the capabilities of the N64 are sometimes a little quirky, making it so you can't see what you need to, or sometimes even making it hard to walk in a straight line. The controls are also a bit confusing, sometimes requiring you to remember confusing button sequences to complete a move. Definitely not intuitive, but I guess they designed it for the N64 controller so they had to get creative to make it work at all.

Overall, it took some getting used to, but it's still lots of fun! I don't regret buying it.
on September 11, 2016
Great game with terrible controls. The DS or 3DS joystick can't replace playing this with a proper controller. There's fun to be had if you can put up with the bad controls, but after a couple hours I tapped out, or rather, my hands couldn't take it anymore. I wish they'd port this version to a console.
on October 23, 2016
Super fun game. Loved the original as a kid, and the extras in this version made me love it all over again. Those that have troubles with the controls have probably not played the original, where the controls were really reallly tricky. Ha. I would for sure recommend this to Mario fans, and those looking for some nostalgic fun!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.