Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jordan Davis All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on November 25, 2014
There's absolutely no way to get all 150 stars in this game. No way at all....unless you want to spend 150 hours in trying to get them all. The controls are so haphazard that it's not even funny. Quite a few one-star reviewers mention this fact, and I'm proud to be among them. This game was NOT made to be played on the Nintendo 3DS.

Let's start with the analog stick. Compared to the N64's analog stick, the 3DS's just plain sucks. The slightly depressed center provides no traction whatsoever (unlike the concentric circles found on the N64's analog stick). I'm positive that anyone reading this who has also played the original Super Mario 64 will agree that the controls on the N64 were far superior to the controls on the DS/3DS.

When you move Mario in this game, his running speed is not consistent. Normally, Mario would either walk at a steady pace when you press Forward, or he would run when you press Forward and hold down a button. In the DS version, the longer you hold down the Forward button, the faster he walks. Why?? This was not the case in the N64 version!!! Mario did not run faster the longer I held down the analog stick in the forward direction, so why does he do that here? That's what Forward + Y button is for! This control mechanism has slipped me up on numerous occasions and cost me countless lives unnecessarily.

And let's not even mention using the touch screen to move! That's just instant death and should be avoided at all costs. The game developers made no graphical improvements in this version either. Some of the landscape blocks and other obstacles zoom right into the screen and get in your way at certain angles when you need to fight enemies or make crucial jumps.

Speaking of angles.....the CAMERA! Oh, the camera.....forget that one, too. You press the L button to center the camera in the direction Mario is facing, and oftentimes, it just keeps going around in circles. Having to face Mario in the direction you want the camera to go in, and then attempting to move the camera with L, is frightening.

Definitely a one-star game. Pass this one up and treasure the N64 version if you still have it.
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 14, 2016
I waited for this game for about 2 weeks and when it finally came,I was excited to play it. But it didn't work. When I looked at the game card it had been poorly handled with with bites and a stain on it and even pencil marks! $17.00 is steep for a game that doesn't even work.
review imagereview image
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 20, 2014
I have played TONS of Mario games. I got a Wii for X-mas in 2012, and a 3DS in December 2013. I never had the original DS, but the 3DS can play DS and DSi games. I've heard great reviews for this AND the original N64 game. Super Mario 64 is often said to be the best Mario game ever. I played the N64 version first on the Wii. The game was somewhat fun, but the horrible controls and the terrible movement of Mario & camera angles made it 1-star. I heard this game had new stars & characters, so I got it. Plus, because it was a game released in 2004, (ten yrs. old), the camera angles and graphics would be better than the game on the N64 (1996). I was wrong by a long shot.
First, the "New characters" thing is stupid. It's a pain in the butt to have to switch from Yoshi to Mario and back to Yoshi for some stars. The "pick up a Wario hat and you're now Wario!" thing is lame because make one error, and you gotta start the whole level over again. I did not like this new feature at all. It's one area that the horrible N64 version is superior to the terrible DS version.
Second, the graphics are a nightmare. The graphics look worse than on an N64! They bother my eyes, and you'll keep dying because you can't see where your going or where the goomba chasing you went! Three seconds later, he hits you and you have to grab a coin to restore it. Easy, right? Wait! I can't tell where the coin is! OK, I'm exaggerating a bit, but not by too much.
Third, the controls are very confusing. The "Touch screen" thing is a fail. You have to drag your finger while looking at both screens at the same time! If you are playing this on the old DS, your other option is the control pad. I never did good with control pads except on the Wii, so they might not be too bad. I'm glad I had a 3DS with the thumb-stick which is OK, I guess. But why "B" to jump? "A" is a much better fit for this! They used "Y" for sprint(good) and "A" for punch(bad). The controls overall are a complete mess that is not necessary.
Third, the sound is horrible. That annoying music! Poor sound quality! That stupid sound Mario makes when he punches! These are all in here.

Overall, Super Mario 64 DS is on par with Super Mario 64(N64), which both suck. Super Mario 64 is not how 3-D platforming should be done. For the price of 30 US dollars, this is not worth it. Rent it before buying it. It's not worth one cent to me. If you're looking for a 3D Mario game on the go, buy Super Mario 3D Land, with charming graphics, nice music, and good controls & gameplay. If you want a list of Mario games in order, here it is:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
2. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
3. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
4. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
5. Paper Mario (N64)

1. Super Mario 64/Super Mario 64 DS (N64, DS)
2. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
3. Super Mario World (SNES)
4. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
5. Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)

Overall, for this, buy the far superior Super Mario Galaxy 2. This game may be fun at first, but you'll fell yourself exploding with rage due to bad music, bad graphics, bad controls, and the game being simply TOO HARD TO BE FUN.
44 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 5, 2007
If you've ever played Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64 game system you'll see this is probably very similar. I never really played the Nintendo 64 version for more than a couple of hours total but there are parts in it that just look familiar. The only reason I didn't give the game 5 stars is because of the controls. It's kind of hard to move around in some parts of the game. This is mostly because this game was designed to be controlled with a control stick with 360 degree movement rather than the Up, Down, Left, Right control pad on the Nintendo DS. Other than that the game is pretty entertaining and challenging. On the back of the box it mentions that it's basically the whole game from the Nintendo 64 system PLUS even more levels. So it's like having the N64 game, plus more, and it's portable.... Good reasons to buy it.
on December 27, 2012
You can tell right from the box art that this game is not exactly what you want. Wario, Luigi, and Yoshi were not in the original game. This is NOT just Super Mario 64 ported to the DS; Nintendo tried to change the game significantly. The original levels are all still here; however, many of the stars have either been modified or changed altogether. Each character has different abilities and gets different things from ability hats. It is frustrating at times to get within a stone's throw of a star only to find out the character you came into the level with can't actually obtain that star. I understand the urge to do something slightly different, but I really wish they hadn't. Super Mario 64 is not a game that needed help. It's still a good game, and it's still fun, but the changes are unnecessary and often get in the way.
on April 28, 2014
As a Mario lover, I had all the games for my wii ds dsi and 3ds! This is my absolute favorite game. It's full of tons of tricky and exciting levels! With a surprise in each one! After loosing mine last year, I simply missed the game to much and had to order another one. I bought one used and it's in fabulous condition, as well as in the case, and I paid $10 free shipping for this favorite classic! If you are a Mario lover, definitely get this game and later unlock to play as luigi, Mario, waluigi and wario in dosens of worlds and levels. (Also multiplayer)
on September 10, 2016
this was one of my favorite games when i was younger, and i lost my copy a few years ago so i decided to buy a used one here on amazon. not a very good idea, since the game was literally broken (works fine in general but it wont let me save). i learned my lesson: dont buy used games online. if you're buying this dont be like me and buy a new copy.
on January 8, 2014
If you loved Mario 64, this is the same, except you start the game with Yoshi. Haven't gotten that far yet, so I don't know if its the whole game or just the beginning. I bought for my grandma and I think this might be a little too hard for her, she's a pro at the first Mario games!
on October 8, 2014
Been looking for this game for awhile and it's great. Great remastered version I the orginal with small tweaks for the DS. My only gripe is that the camera is very annoying and you often have to manually change view only to have it change once you move.
on May 7, 2016
One of my favorite games! I have a 3ds and this ds game plays nicely on it without the 3d though. Item was as described! Very happy and strongly urge you to buy it if you havent!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.