Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 377 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 698 reviews
on March 5, 2014
You just can't beat the charm of the original Nintendo 64 version of this game. It's quirky, challenging, and above all memorable. This game tries really hard and almost comes close to topping it though.

One advantage this game has over the original is the amount of content. Now instead of 120 stars, you have 150 stars to collect, along with several mini-games to keep you busy. The biggest disadvantage (and it's a big one) is the controls. If only this game had waited a few years and came out on the superior Nintendo 3DS system, because the limitations of the D-Pad are crushing. Sure, there's the touch-screen option, but that still isn't enough to make up for the faulty controls.

All in all, I enjoy this game and think it's great, but the controls really set it back a step for me.
on January 6, 2014
Super Mario 64 was the biggest milestone in 3D gaming. There were 3D games prior to this one, but this one brought something new to the table: genius level design, responsive controls, a real adventure to follow, and most importantly: fun. But that was in 1996. How does it hold up now re-released on the DS?

For starters, it improves on everything from the original Mario 64. It is still tons of fun to play, and has 30 new stars that weren't in the original Mario 64. It also has new playable characters, each with different abilities, strengths, and weaknesses, along with a new multiplayer mode. This game packs in a ton of new content for fans and veterans of the original, without removing anything from the game we all know and love.

The one slight downside is controls. It is obviously a lot weirder and less effective to control a character in 3D space with a D-Pad rather than a joystick. However, if you play it on a 3DS which actually HAS joystick, it is flawless.

I can recommend this game to either kids, or hardcore players alike. It is bright and colorful, but has very challenging levels and will take a lot of time to accomplish all 120 stars.
on January 31, 2014
A lot of people I saw were complaining about bootleg copies, the one I ordered from EZCORP is perfect. The game I got even still has a save file saved on it already. I played through the first level personally and saved the game. I was able to control the character using any of the three touch screen d pad or joystick. And I most certainly received the correct game, theres no case for it, but that doesnt matter, there wouldnt have been 2 days after being at my house anyway. Got it for my son and he couldnt be happier, so glad I got this for him. Now I wont have to wake up and hear "Mommy have you got me Mario 64 Ds?" :)
on September 17, 2016
it ok the game came i had fun with this but after 1 month it broke stop woking i try contact the seller back then and now a year later never contact me back i wanted a resend of a new one now i have 2 buy another one full price again :( never got to fully play or get into it but hope when i older another one coming up it works grate last for a while and i have fun
on July 5, 2017
As a kid, this was my number one favorite game to play on the DS. There are many enjoyable levels and multiple characters to play as you progress through the game (Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, and Wario, in that order). It's a creative and surprisingly well designed for a DS game. There are minigames and multiplayer as well, in case you want to retract from the story for a bit. I HIGHLY recommend this game.
on October 4, 2011
I was excited to get this game partially just for nostalgia's sake(I remember being a little kid and playing Super Mario 64 on my N64 and loving it to death). Secondly I purchased this game for the simple fact that the original was sooo much fun, and the DS version doesn't fall short! It's got all the fun of the original game, but add to that, better graphics, 4 different characters with different powers to play as, more stars to find, and portability. Personally I find it easier to control on the DS than on the VC version, by using the buttons and in certain levels, the touch screen. I actually purchased this from Amazon Warehouse Deals, and I gotta say that I'm THOROUGHLY IMPRESSED! I bought this in "Used-Like New" condition, and it was in awesome condition, it looked like someone just took the shrink wrap off and stuck it on the used shelf, and I paid $20 for it, case, manual, and all. This was my first purchase ever from Warehouse Deals, and I definitely recommend them and I most certainly recommend Super Mario 64 DS!
on January 19, 2008
I've been a big mario fan since the beginning, but I took a long hiatus between the original Nintendo and the Nintendo DS, so I missed this game the first time around on the N64. The biggest difference between this game and the ones I've played in the past is the camera angles--I'm used to 2D versions, and the 3D sort of throw you off if you're not used to it. It's still loads of fun, though!

Pros: Fun, you don't finish it too fast, it's nice to be able to play as multiple characters at different points in the game, and the mini games are a nice addition (though if you've played The New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, you'll notice that many of them are the same ones).

Cons: The clever camera angles they devised to show off the capabilities of the N64 are sometimes a little quirky, making it so you can't see what you need to, or sometimes even making it hard to walk in a straight line. The controls are also a bit confusing, sometimes requiring you to remember confusing button sequences to complete a move. Definitely not intuitive, but I guess they designed it for the N64 controller so they had to get creative to make it work at all.

Overall, it took some getting used to, but it's still lots of fun! I don't regret buying it.
on September 11, 2016
Great game with terrible controls. The DS or 3DS joystick can't replace playing this with a proper controller. There's fun to be had if you can put up with the bad controls, but after a couple hours I tapped out, or rather, my hands couldn't take it anymore. I wish they'd port this version to a console.
on September 27, 2006
Undoubtedly one of the best game ports I've played thus far. I have been an avid fan of Mario 64 since it's release on the N64 and this game did not disappoint.

When I first booted the game I was expecting it just to be a miniaturized version of the game I loved, but it is so much more than that. Building off of the original SM64, Nintendo has only improved this wonderful game. A few new levels have been added, that are integrated so well that you'd never notice them as new levels unless you'd played the original. There are also 30 more stars to top off the original 120 to now 150, adding hours more into the gameplay.

I've heard a few complaints about the textures being pixelated, especially when close to an object, but one cannot deny that they are starkly better than it's original counterpart. Higher polygon models and higher detail in the textures really adds to the experience.

Another factor that has been improved from the original is the sound. Gorgeous stereo sound really shows off the improved version of the original soundtrack and rerecorded dialogue (such as Toadstool's letters and character phrases). Sounds gorgeous with the DS's speakers, but plug in a good set of headphones and you'll be totally immersed in the experience of the game.

Sadly, gameplay can be a little awkward at times with the touch screen - you may find yourself running in the wrong direction or falling off a cliff before you've gotten used to it (quite frustrating.) But after you HAVE gotten used to it, it's easy to pull off and play the game. Personally though, I still use the Directional Pad to control my character, and it works perfectly fine for someone who doesn't have the wrist-strap 'stylus' for thumb play (works perfectly, even with the tetchy diagonals of a DS Lite d-pad).

The lasting appeal is great though...for the casual gamer, a delightful single player mode and equally enjoyable minigames make for a grand experience. For a serious player though, collecting every single star and unlocking every minigame will add hours to the game and much more fun. There are a few awesome minigames when you first start, but many more to unlock and enjoy. The multiplayer mode, while the timer can be irritating, is still fun, especially since only one cart is needed.

In short:

- Tons of new challenges add hours to gameplay

- Many awesome minigames to unlock will keep the player entertained

- A decent multiplayer is good for a little fun with the friends, and only requires one cart

- High replayability keeps you coming back for more

I give it a 9.0/10

~K_Flynn
on October 23, 2016
Super fun game. Loved the original as a kid, and the extras in this version made me love it all over again. Those that have troubles with the controls have probably not played the original, where the controls were really reallly tricky. Ha. I would for sure recommend this to Mario fans, and those looking for some nostalgic fun!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.