Top positive review
2 people found this helpful
Excellent look, bad fit.
on November 11, 2014
I had read the prior reviews of this costume, so I knew what I was getting into. I'll list the good and bad of the costume, but first I'll tell you I am 5'7" and about 260 pounds.
The overall look is great, and was a big hit with both adults and kids. The material is solid enough, no tears or rips after wearing it. One of the false yellow buttons did pop off at the end of the night, but I think that was my fault mostly.
1. The fit absolutely runs small. If you are 5'6" or below, it should be fine. And by this I am referring to the length. I am a fairly big guy, and the width was not an issue to fit all of me comfortably. But the major issue lies in the crotch area. Tight to the point of being unwearable without being arrested for public indecency, and definitely not without a hell of a lot of discomfort. My wife fortunately is good at sewing, so what she did was sew in extra blue material to the seam above the crotch to loosen it up. There was still a slight wedgie issue in the back, but it was tolerable.
2. The back only has a couple of small pieces of velcro to try and hold it together. For a bigger guy like me, this didn't work. So all we did was take the sticky back type velcro and run it all the way down the back. Much better.
3. The hat seems to run a little big, enough to where if you have an average size head or less it probably would fly off with the slightest gust of wind. My wife came in handy here too, she put some elastic inside to make it fit a little tighter.
4. Some people said the gloves render your hands unusable, but I disagree. I could of gripped pretty well with them, but alas they are still awkward and not really conforming to the shape of the hand. They are too wide, and I know it is because they are suppose to be cartoony. I wound up buying basic white cotton gloves and using them instead.
5. The mustache will cover your entire mouth, making talking very difficult. We trimmed some of it from the top to not effect the recognizable bottom of the mustache. The adhesive as others have said is also not awesome, so I bought some spirit gum to take care of that.
All in all, a great costume and it is sure to get you some compliments and nostalgic memories from those like me who grew up with Mario.